Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

rust on new Cali wheels

homerorchid

homerorchid

VIP Member
Hello, just wondering if this is normal. Picked up our brand new Cali in March (Ocean, 199, 4Motion, most bells and whistles), done 600 miles so far, Cali parked in garage, washed it for first time yesterday and noticed all wheels have a ring of rust around the hub behind the spokes (standard alloy wheels). Concerned what they will look like in 6000 or 60,000 miles, do you think this would be a warranty issue. Taking it to Hull on 30th May for a few other issues (sliding bed lever dangling loose, have to put premium fuel in Cali or experience momentary power drop, example at roundabout, LED light strip around kitchen unit only work when certacy light on and on/off switch for same does not work. Any help or advise would be much appreciated, thank you.

It's normal. Nothing to worry about, even if it is a bit annoying. (certainly normal for vw group car in my experiencd anyway.)

Alloy wheels can’t rust but can oxidise if the paint or lacquer exposes the underlying alloy. Get it checked out. The flappy bed lever usually means the bed hasn’t quite clicked into position on the rail. Move it when seated centrally and try again. Your kitchen lights have 2 modes: one is simply on / off with button and the other is as you describe. You can switch between the modes by double clicking the on/off button but it can take a few goes. It’s described in the manual.

I’ve had that rust on all of my BMWs. The dealer normally repaints it once then it comes back again. I think the pressure washing doesn’t help but it’s purely aesthetic and you’ll notice many cars have the same issue.

Hello, just wondering if this is normal. Picked up our brand new Cali in March (Ocean, 199, 4Motion, most bells and whistles), done 600 miles so far, Cali parked in garage, washed it for first time yesterday and noticed all wheels have a ring of rust around the hub behind the spokes (standard alloy wheels). Concerned what they will look like in 6000 or 60,000 miles, do you think this would be a warranty issue. Taking it to Hull on 30th May for a few other issues (sliding bed lever dangling loose, have to put premium fuel in Cali or experience momentary power drop, example at roundabout, LED light strip around kitchen unit only work when certacy light on and on/off switch for same does not work. Any help or advise would be much appreciated, thank you.
I think you will find the Alloy wheel is fine, if you took it off. I think you are referring to the wheel hub to which the wheel bolts on. This is cast iron, is not painted and will get a surface rust . This is normal. Happens on all cars. Just as your brake disks will have a coating of rust if left for a few days.
Bed lever, as stated the Seat is not in the correct position. Try again.

I agree its quite normal. More noticeable on vehicles that don't do as many miles I would say. If I park up for a few days I notice it too but miles usually see it gone.

I've had this too. I think it comes from inside the brake disc with them being vented. The rust gets thrown out as it turns. A good wheel cleaner got rid of the rings inside my wheels after a couple of cleans.

I think you will find the Alloy wheel is fine, if you took it off. I think you are referring to the wheel hub to which the wheel bolts on. This is cast iron, is not painted and will get a surface rust . This is normal. Happens on all cars. Just as your brake disks will have a coating of rust if left for a few days.
Bed lever, as stated the Seat is not in the correct position. Try again.

I agree it will be the hub not the wheel. You could always give it a wire brushing and paint it with Hammerite if your'e bothered about it.

Check out threads on alloy wheels sticking on due to the centres corroding.
Take all your wheels off and clean the centres plus the axle hubs. Very sparingly coat the wheel centre with a lubricant such as silicone grease. Don't overdo it as it'll spin out onto the wheels making a mess.

If you use manned car washes regularly, ask them not to use acid to remove fall out from your wheels. This is what takes the silver liner paint off what i think is the front part of the brake disc. Perfectly normal but as you say, looks unsightly.

If you use manned car washes regularly, ask them not to use acid to remove fall out from your wheels. This is what takes the silver liner paint off what i think is the front part of the brake disc. Perfectly normal but as you say, looks unsightly.
I think you will find it is the heat generated by braking that does that. Very difficult to keep paint on such a casting in what is a relatively extreme environment.

I think you will find it is the heat generated by braking that does that. Very difficult to keep paint on such a casting in what is a relatively extreme environment.
Heat probably contributes over time however i've seen it on a week old vehicle due to acid at wash stations

Thank you very much for the time you have all taken to help me with the issues I have had with my new Cali. The help that is provided by the California Club was one of the main reasons we opted for a California. If anyone has any suggestions why when we first started to use our new Cali we experienced momentary drops in power when I put my foot down, for example at a roundabout (quiet dangerous when you're trying to quickly get on to a fast moving round about). We opted for the 199 engine to give us a nice amount of power when we most need it. I was advised to use premium diesel from non supermarket source, which I have done and it seems to have helped. Is this usual given it's a new engine, do others use premium diesel (very expensive), thought about a remap to save fuel if have to use premium diesel, any help with this last issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for the time you have all taken to help me with the issues I have had with my new Cali. The help that is provided by the California Club was one of the main reasons we opted for a California. If anyone has any suggestions why when we first started to use our new Cali we experienced momentary drops in power when I put my foot down, for example at a roundabout (quiet dangerous when you're trying to quickly get on to a fast moving round about). We opted for the 199 engine to give us a nice amount of power when we most need it. I was advised to use premium diesel from non supermarket source, which I have done and it seems to have helped. Is this usual given it's a new engine, do others use premium diesel (very expensive), thought about a remap to save fuel if have to use premium diesel, any help with this last issue would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have the DSG Gearbox?

Thank you very much for the link relating to DSG operation, "amazing", I'm going to have to keep referring back to it but I now suspect my lack of understanding of DSG's has been at the route of my problem. I would recommend any one who has a DSG to have a look at the link, very, very interesting

Thank you very much for the link relating to DSG operation, "amazing", I'm going to have to keep referring back to it but I now suspect my lack of understanding of DSG's has been at the route of my problem. I would recommend any one who has a DSG to have a look at the link, very, very interesting
I agree. A lot of new owners on an initial test drive are quit timid driving and it’s not until they have their own vehicle and relax into their own driving style that they notice the differences but in time they adapt and it becomes natural. Also the clever electronics “learn” your style over time . I wouldn’t be without it. Sports Mode is very useful on hilly, windy roads.

Try to keep of the brake pedal as the hill hold delay can come in causing the delay. Old fashioned handbrake operation gets a rapid start/movement.
Harder you press the brake the longer the delay. Practice a slow creep at give way junctions rather than stop-start.