Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop up roof.

Jukebox70

Jukebox70

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Over the weekend, we closed the roof in the normal way, not a windy day or any other adverse weather conditions. The roof closed fully, and off we went for a walk. On returning a couple of hours later I noticed a bulge appeared in the roof, rear passenger side. I then raised the roof and it appears that instead of the tent canvas collapsing inwards it collapsed outwards. Has anybody else had this same problem, and will it be covered under warranty? My California is only eight months old.

The windows were open to let air out as normal.

User error and obviously not covered by the warranty, do a search on here as it is very common

As said above many of us , even afther sevral years , manage to do this .
Think it is a combination of factors ....but mainly just "bad luck"
If it is not cut throug the canvas , just leave it that way , otherwise put a patch on it.

But did it damage anything? You didn't actually say.

I know the bungee is used by many but I see the Mercedes Marco Polo roof has several reinforced bands around all sides of the roof material. Is it possible to do similar or is there after fit to restrict the movement of the material over and above the bungee? I much prefer VW to Mercedes and only the roof concerns me.

The Cali has reinforced bands that help the bellows in. I hate to say it but sounds like operator error unless someone tampered with the roof whilst away as it generally would not just appear

I'm was thinking about designing a bungy that fits on the inside rather than outside. Sure it wouldn't be that difficult?

But did it damage anything? You didn't actually say.
Very slight damage to roof, hardly noticeable, a very slight bulge and the fabric where it must've got caught in the mechanism.

User error and obviously not covered by the warranty, do a search on here as it is very common
I've read elsewhere that the warranty has covered the damage.

I'm was thinking about designing a bungy that fits on the inside rather than outside. Sure it wouldn't be that difficult?
How would it attach? I imagine the tension would be on these fixings rather than spread round the circumference of the bellow.
The outer bungee also has a release mechanism, due the opposed forces internally this may prove different.
Depending on model year the roof has got better, however its one of those procedures that cant be rushed. But can easily go wrong. A little like me

Our Magolina roof tent has 2 internal bungees, there are loops sewn into the sides and you stretch them across and hook the bungy on before you let the top down. Just like the Cali roof it also suffers from air pressure blowing it out so we always stop just before it closes up and walk round and check for hernias...

I think T6 canvas was changed with stiff guides pushing the fabric inside. From the look of it less likely to fold outside.

I think T6 canvas was changed with stiff guides pushing the fabric inside. From the look of it less likely to fold outside.
I agree although i have only used the T6 roof but the combination of inward hinged plastic guides and a manual operation makes it pretty fool proof.

I have been thinking along the same lines, maybe a couple of bungees that can be fitted to a rigid strip running horizontally along the fold on each side. Could get complicated!

I used an elastic which I hooked on the window zip handles & it worked.
BUT I then realized that if I absent-mindedly pushed the bed up while the elastic was connected, I could do a LOT of damage.
So I made an external bungee instead.
It has always worked fine with a down-wind door open & me watching from inside.
Only once have I seen the bellows start to fold out & that was when I forgot to open a door...

We used to make kites in the past so sewing, manufacture with ripstop nylon and bungy holds no fear for us. I might even make a ripstop topper not sure yet, but it will be super light :)

? but how would that pull pull the tent away from the mechanism

I wouldn't be attaching anything to the bellows that may compromise the warranty
My view---- I believe the bungee is worth its weight in gold every other week before someone came up with the idea there were people with canvas damage on the forum having a cry :( (there was also a lot of members who had put ripples in their metal roof)
Even some dealers have supplied a bungee with a van

Last edited:
Our salesmen for our 2015 Beach was very careful to show us the roof, told us to have the windows open and the sliding door open too. Not all dealers are as careful to inform the customers on the process. Sounds like you had them open to make sure.

Mine also has the reinforced bands inside that seem to bring the canvas inwards not outwards. I always have someone watch it come down even though it always seems to fold inwards. Its pretty hard to do alone.

I have a bellows bungee too from the members shop to be extra sure, which reminds me I really need to fit it!

The problem seems to be the lose material as the roof closes. I think as the gap reduces the material is merely folding as it drops. The Mercedes Marco Polo roof material is controlled by 5 or 6 reinforced bands around the entire roof which seems to concertina the material is it closes.
Do Reimo or other converters have the same problem?