Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rusty screw in roof rail

Melanie Day

Melanie Day

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
Hi

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not... Rusty screws in the white rail that's on the roof.
CheersPXL_20210530_172614192.jpgPXL_20210530_172615298.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

How many do you want me to show you?

Normal, part of the nil cost “Roof Corrosion“ option! My 2013 has it and its just the surface, nothing serious.

I thought they a rivets. You don't want to try an remove them ,involves glued roof lining.They can leak a bit over the years.

Thanks everyone, our van is 2018. We will take your recommendations!

I too found rusted bolts, one on each side, when our cali was just a year old in Oct 2020. The VW service guys removed, cleaned, sprayed and reinstall. I was surprised they didn't fit new ones. Recently found rear corner of pop top raised about 4 inches and found two bolts had vibrated out of scissor mechanism. On checking most bolts securing roof loose! No longer have 100% faith in cali quality control!

20201028_172443.jpg

I too found rusted bolts, one on each side, when our cali was just a year old in Oct 2020. The VW service guys removed, cleaned, sprayed and reinstall. I was surprised they didn't fit new ones. Recently found rear corner of pop top raised about 4 inches and found two bolts had vibrated out of scissor mechanism. On checking most bolts securing roof loose! No longer have 100% faith in cali quality control!

View attachment 79335
Worth checking the picnic chairs too, their nuts n bolts tend to loosen.

Normal, part of the nil cost “Roof Corrosion“ option! My 2013 has it and its just the surface, nothing serious.
I saw you mentioned ACF 50 spray on another thread will it help stop the rusting?? Thanks

I saw you mentioned ACF 50 spray on another thread will it help stop the rusting?? Thanks

I have used it as a coating on other exposed nuts and it helps but I’ve not bothered to spray these rivets. @WelshGas is an advocate and mentioned it above.
I’m pretty sure the rust on the rivets is superficial so not really a worry, although it is strange that VW dont bother to use stainless on such an exposed place, a water gully!