Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rusty wheel nuts

M

MidgleyVW

VIP Member
Hi Can anyone tell me if the California wheel nuts are plated or not plated
Does anyone do a stainless steel set ?
My Cali is well looked after but its not garaged so has to stay out i the winter hence this problem with the rusty look . Its spoiling the wheels
Any advice appreciated

They are steel..You can buy wheel nut covers in black or chrome

They are steel..You can buy wheel nut covers in black or chrome
Hi I have seen these covers but isnt it poor a car of this stature has unplated steel nuts
Im thinking of plating them in zinc but not sure if this effects there strength?

I have to say, for wheel nuts on a 3 tonne vehicle, I think I'm more concerned about function than appearances!

Covers sound like a much better idea than aftermarket versions.

Im thinking of plating them in zinc but not sure if this effects there strength?

That occurred to me a solution, and probably wouldn't affect the strength. However, plating on the threads may well affect the torque when tightening them. I recall a massive discussion on the Disco3 forum (Land Rover Discovery - another big, heavy, vehicle with enormous wheels) about using copper grease on wheel studs. The majority opinion of the less nutty members was that Land Rover published torque values for dry threads. I guess that the same is true for VW and that their design engineers have calculated torque for the wheel nuts as supplied.

Hi I have put the chrome covers on but thought there must be a better solution

Plating would be a waste of time as it would soon wear off with the sockets rubbing on it.
Both our Calis came with the black plastic covers.

Just drink a few pints less this weekend and buy a new set...

Mine are rusty too. Can you actually buy like-for-like replacements? If not, does anyone know where I can buy the covers from? Thanks

Mine are rusty too. Can you actually buy like-for-like replacements? If not, does anyone know where I can buy the covers from? Thanks
Both replacements and covers are available from VWCV dealers.
Can also be found on well known online auction sites but often come from China and may not be genuine VW. I think a set of covers cost's something like £25-£30?. Don't forget the removal tool for covers.

Both replacements and covers are available from VWCV dealers.
Can also be found on well known online auction sites but often come from China and may not be genuine VW. I think a set of covers cost's something like £25-£30?. Don't forget the removal tool for covers.
Looks like Breeze are the way to go.. seem to be a lot cheaper than the last time I enquired at a dealer.

I think I'd rather get them replaced. Thanks for the advice folks. Last time I ever take her through a hand car wash again - they were fine before they sprayed the wheels with some type of cleaner. I guess a vwvc will do it all for me?