Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Safari room

J

JcCali

VIP Member
hi there..anyone got a decent safari room setup ( thule-ominstor- reimo)?...been doing a bit of research but would love to see some pics..or where they got theres from.cheers

Comfortz virtually do a whole safari room now including door and skirt, I think Kev should have some pics.

thanks for the reply , yeah checked those out a few times though, i am after something more in lines of the Fiamma Privacy Rooms...defo needs skirts as we have a dog..somewhere to sleep during the night..!!!

Speak to nick at comfortz the sides now come
With skirts :thumb

£700 :shocked what happens if you want to leave site for the day, looks a bit of a faff :?:

most safari rooms are expensive.....but i guess you just lock the sliding door.. :p

It looks a nice rigid piece of kit,but doesn't have the flexibility of a drive away does it ?

There should be a label under the casing handle end the early ones where omnistor then they where
Bought out by Thule so your will be a Thule not sure of the exact model :thumb

been emailing a thule/omnistor supply company and they said g2 fits the calis....though the video i have posted is just a general video..

i'm not too worried about the driveway aspect..i have spent a good year mulling over which type of tent/room ...bit of a mine field out there but i gonna go for this one as it looks very well designed.

Hi, the awning looks really nice but does it come in different heights for different vans? I've only got experience with caravan awnings but I would have thought the fact that the Cali rail is so low would cause difficulties with the angles, particularly the wedge shape in the sides above the awning windows and to lower the leading edge and make a slope in the roof would then mean the floor line would be well out.
Not sure if that makes sense but I know what I mean :lol:
Won't be an issue if they come in a variety of heights to suit.

I am not sure how that will work, what happens when it rains as you will not be able to angle the awning to route the water off? Also looking at the pictures I would say it makes the awning roof very low and unless you are under 5 ft you would not be able to stand up straight underneath it. I can see these working on motorhomes as there awnings are much higher but not on a Cali.

check the previous pic link i posted...with blue van...this is what it looks more like i am informed...not as much of a slope as the website pics...they are just reference..

JcCali said:
check the previous pic link i posted...with blue van...this is what it looks more like i am informed...not as much of a slope as the website pics...they are just reference..

Thats the thing, you need a slope at a specific angle on the Cali to channel any rain off, if the awning it totally level or levelled at an angle you will end up with a massive puddle on top of the awning which will cause damage if left.
My other worry with something as complex as this is if I want to go out in the Cali for the afternoon it would mean disconnecting the entire safari room?

interesting point still , i have emailed them with that question...

ok emailed the company and they have stated as does the pdf instructions that they have forwarded me (safari - residence for VW california & 5102 PDF)

"when raining, lower one side of the awning so that the water can run down the fabric ( fig 14), Always adjust the support legs with the clamps unscrewed to avoid damage"

it takes 10 to 15mins to react for all you dive away awning types..;-)

i'll be making a purchase soon and if anyones interested will post some pics.

but as mentioned before if anyone has one ..please show us some pics..!

Hi, I found this picture. Maybe an older model but gives an idea of size on a Cali.

http://frankana.softkat.de/images/onlin ... e1150c.jpg

Sorry if I'm overstepping the mark and giving opinions where they aren't asked for but have you considered the way the awning attempts to give a good seal to the side of the camper. It looks similar to an isabella porch awning we had and whilst we didn't bother about it being against a boring white caravan, I would be worried about one rubbing the metallic paintwork of my new Cali.

If you decide to buy one, some pictures and a wee review of its use would be good.

think thats the same pic i put slink to....

this is what the company also said might help clear things up..

"the attachment to the van is different as there is a special foam padded connection by means of a tensioned strap. "

thanks for that..yes about £100 cheaper by the looks of it..!