Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Safe mode activated!!

foxy-rob

foxy-rob

VIP Member
on a recent trip to France my Cali went into safe mode which meant I had limited power & limped along until I had chance to stop at a service station.
strange thing is when I restarted it after a break it cleared itself & I had no further problem. When i took it to my garage & plugged it into a diagnostic machine it brought two codes up which my garage hadn’t come across before, the first one made mention of a turbo issue & the other one said something about a manifold issue...
I took it in today for further testing & no faults were detected on the diagnostic tester!
Anybody experienced this or got any idea?

No indication of your vehicle and engine.
I had a 2005 T5 Caravelle that kept doing the safe mode thing. The problem was turbo overboost caused by dirty and sticking vanes in the turbo. They should carry with revs/power, but if they stick, they give too much pressure, hence safe mode. So and restart and the power comes back... Until the next time.

This may or maybe not relevant but we had a similar experience years ago with a Mazda Bongo.
In the north of Scotland on the way to St Andrews when near Inverness it went into limp mode. Constant stopping and restarting and we got within 100miles when it stayed in limp mode. Decided to wait until the morning before ringing the breakdown and filled up with Shell just outside St Andrews. Next morning started and ran fine and never had the problem again. Put it down to using unbranded fuel.

Back