Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sat Nav Auto setting

glen

glen

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi. I have tried setting screen to auto. But it can’t recognise day or night. Is there any thing that you can do to help.

Hi. I have tried setting screen to auto. But it can’t recognise day or night. Is there any thing that you can do to help.
So the screen doesn’t change when the Vehicle driving lights are switched On?

Does the 'auto' setting rely on the vehicle having automatic lights?

My satnav and headlights seem to have different settings, i.e. the satnav screen will go to night driving when the lights are not on (when the lights are set for auto operation) but I haven't worked out exactly what the parameters are for each switching on or off.

Maybe it's configurable with VCDS, I don't even know which module controls it but guess it's somewhere in the BCM coding.

Rod

Which satnav (and van) do you have?

Previous third-party satnavs have seemed to know lighting up time by GPS / clock, but I’m fairly sure my OEM T6 satnav switches over with the headlights. Again, one for the manual ...

So the screen doesn’t change when the Vehicle driving lights are switched On?
Hi WelshGas. I always have my lights on auto. So do you think it’s the lights that determine if it’s day or night. If it’s dull but not dark and lights are on sat nav thinks it’s nighttime. I will try switching my lights to manual to see if works. This is the first vehicle to have sat nav build in. I think my garmin sat nav would have been set by the clock to change from day to night. Thank Glen :thumb

Which satnav (and van) do you have?

Previous third-party satnavs have seemed to know lighting up time by GPS / clock, but I’m fairly sure my OEM T6 satnav switches over with the headlights. Again, one for the manual ...
Hi hurst. Cali ocean 2018 reading between the lines I think it’s s the head lights that determine if it’s day or night. Thanks Glen

Does the 'auto' setting rely on the vehicle having automatic lights?

My satnav and headlights seem to have different settings, i.e. the satnav screen will go to night driving when the lights are not on (when the lights are set for auto operation) but I haven't worked out exactly what the parameters are for each switching on or off.

Maybe it's configurable with VCDS, I don't even know which module controls it but guess it's somewhere in the BCM coding.

Rod
Hi Rod thanks for that but all a bit Technical. Glen

I believe its whether the lights are on or off (irrespective of how they are turned on) that determines the brightness of the sat nav/head unit in general. If the lights are on it should be dimmer. The brightness of the dash lights and head unit can also be controlled and adjusted by the brightness switch next to the headlight level switch if you have one fitted.

Think there's a light sensor behind the rear view mirror that senses the daylight , when to dark it gives a signal to the satnav to go in night mode giving less bright light in the cabin .

I’ve had another look at the sat nav today. Start engine turn on sat nav lights turned off nice bright morning sat nav is showing dark as if it’s night. I’ve gone into settings three options day night and auto. Switch to day it’s nice and bright/ switch to night and shows dark ideal for night driving. Switch to auto it goes to night/ lights on lights off no different.

I’ve had another look at the sat nav today. Start engine turn on sat nav lights turned off nice bright morning sat nav is showing dark as if it’s night. I’ve gone into settings three options day night and auto. Switch to day it’s nice and bright/ switch to night and shows dark ideal for night driving. Switch to auto it goes to night/ lights on lights off no different.
In that case, unless confirmed by others, Faulty.

Think there's a light sensor behind the rear view mirror that senses the daylight , when to dark it gives a signal to the satnav to go in night mode giving less bright light in the cabin .
Unless it is different on yours on my 2014, the RNS510 SatNav goes into Night Mode as soon as the side lights are switched on.
In the SatNav menu you can select Permenant Day or Night Mode or Auto where it changes from Day to Night when Side Lights selected.

mine is app connect. goes to night mode when side lights on. I don't have auto lights but switch that off. what happens?

Thanks to everyone for there help. The next time I pass my VW dealer i will ask them to test sat nav. Thanks again for all the comments. Glen :thumb

Yes it was my eyesight and reading glasses that makes the night screen difficult especially when its still daytime!

Back