Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Satellite-navigation problem

kaf2546

kaf2546

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi, first time posting. I have 2014 Cali SE with RNS 510 satellite-navigation. It kept coming up with duff directions and I thought I had set up wrong. However I have realised that although destination is spot on, the van is positioned sometimes 0.25 miles out 'off-road' and at worst travelling in wrong direction, like out in the North Sea when we were on the M6, it didn't actually ask me to call Coastguard but went a bit quiet :) I've booked in to dealer but it happens only now and again so likely they won't find the fault but it can't be trusted. Would have been handy in France recently. Is this likely to be the GPS aerial? Anyone else had this?

Hi and welcome :thumb

Could be the GPS antennae is positioned wrongly and is not getting a very good signal.

Could also be local interference affecting the GPS reception - does it always happen in the same location?

The rns510 the worthless , mine came with it as i bought a demo Cali , but if buying the original GPS from the optionlist is a total waste of money.
Did you had it updated yet , could help also ...

Thanks all for quick reply. Yes mine was demo with it fitted. My only reference is my 8 year old BMW and SatNav has never had this issue all over Europe. It happens randomly motacyclist, and anywhere, it'll likely be perfect at the dealer then couple hours later will be off on its own way. Worked not bad mid Scotland, didn't work through England M6 to an Oxford address, worked in France on way south then was off on way back in the second week over same terrain, glad I'd taken my 2001 Michelin France map. I suspect GPS aerial but a replacement aerial may still be put in 'wrong place', could ask for a whole new VW SatNav or take it out altogether and get different model/refund. Going in to dealer for couple of things like trim coming off kitchen cupboards; VW have had a lot of years to get the model sorted (!) but generally I'm happy with the vehicle. I've taken a video of the fault to show dealer, just wondered if it was a known fault as you hint at 'hotel cali T5' ?

My RNS510 Sat Nav works fine.

Hold down your 'Setup' button this will take you to a service menu, then press 'Navigation' I don't know for sure but imagine you'll be able to see satellite strength and number of in there

Hi, first time posting. I have 2014 Cali SE with RNS 510 satellite-navigation. It kept coming up with duff directions and I thought I had set up wrong. However I have realised that although destination is spot on, the van is positioned sometimes 0.25 miles out 'off-road' and at worst travelling in wrong direction, like out in the North Sea when we were on the M6, it didn't actually ask me to call Coastguard but went a bit quiet :) I've booked in to dealer but it happens only now and again so likely they won't find the fault but it can't be trusted. Would have been handy in France recently. Is this likely to be the GPS aerial? Anyone else had this?
Hi. I had a similar problem with my 18 month old Audi A6 (and its very expensive nav upgrade) not too long ago. Audi admitted that it was rare but I certainly wasn't the first. The solution, after they (and I) tried resetting the unit, but to no avail, was to replace the GPS aerial altogether. Took a couple of days and was under warranty.

I'd be surprised if your problem is anything different; after all, it's probably the same aerial! Get to the dealers and pass the problem over to them. Your Cali is still young so they shouldn't argue.

I retro-fitted an RNS510, when you do this you just sort of throw the GPS antenna under the dash and it works.

However on fitting mine I must have damaged the coaxial cable between the antenna and the RNS510 and it exhibited the same symptoms that you describe - it worked - but took ages to acquire a signal, and often the signal was a bit off (in a field near a road).

As mine is a retrofit I simply replaced the antenna, which was £5 off ebay. As yours is factory fit, the cable will run to the door, and the antenna sits in the door mirror.

So I would suggest the getting the dealer to check the cable and antenna is the way to go - if you get nowhere then simply disconnect the factory antenna and plug in a cheapo aftermarket one - it is a 15 minute job.

Tony

After two years of grief with our 510, which like yours told us that we were in the middle of the Bristol Channel when we were on the M5, instructing us to do U turns on a motorways etc, it was finally cured of its wayward ways by VW by fitting a Kenwood antenna and just putting it under the plastic tray in the centre of the dashboard. So it seems that getting the antenna out of the mirror is the cure, which I'm not suprised at as ours filled up with rain water, which can't help!

Search ebay for "gps antenna fakra" could be the best 5.99 you ever spend.

No problem with my RNS 510, navigated me to and back from Nordkapp, 5,340 miles absolutely perfectly, including navigation around some serious road blockages due to accidents etc.
Problems with this unit seem to be very few, overall, on the Forum and mainly related to faulty units or GPS aerials.

I didn't spec mine either, and never have specced nav because it's always overpriced and smart phone apps have come on a long way. It was already fitted to mine, which was a showroom vehicle.

In my opinion the RNS510 is a bit dated and slow, but apart from that it does work very well for navigation, radio, HD and media connection. It is nice not to have wires trailing all over the place too

Well we love our sat nav it has saved us hours avoiding traffic jams. Occasionally it might try and get us to go down un-drivable routs but just the usual for sat navs.

Thanks again everyone. 'Luckily' the problem occurred on way to dealer with me positioned on the beach 10 miles from the dealer :) They said indeed likely to be aerial in door mirror but they will also try upgrading the software, and admitted might need to replace whole SatNav. Interested in getting them to reposition an alternative aerial, ultimately that sounds the way to go. I'll report back...

Thanks again everyone. 'Luckily' the problem occurred on way to dealer with me positioned on the beach 10 miles from the dealer :) They said indeed likely to be aerial in door mirror but they will also try upgrading the software, and admitted might need to replace whole SatNav. Interested in getting them to reposition an alternative aerial, ultimately that sounds the way to go. I'll report back...

New GPS aerial fitted by dealer under the dash as opposed to in the mirror, seems to be working now