Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Satnav Problem

philrich99

philrich99

We have a March 2014 van with factory fitted RNS 510 satnav. In July it started showing the wrong location, seeming to think we were some way off from our actual location (sometimes well out to sea!), initially only happening after about an hour of use, but after a few days escalating to being wrong all the time & useless for directions. It was diagnosed by Breeze as a damaged sensor, & the whole wing mirror was replaced under warranty. We are currently in Greece & it has started to happen again, although this time we came fully prepared with a TomTom. We will wait until we get home to get it repaired, & wondered if any one else has had this problem with a California or other vehicle. We were told the first time by Breeze that they thought the wing mirror must have been knocked, but there was no damage showing, & we are not aware of anything either time.

We had two years of our sat nav taking us to on journeys out to sea and into fields and telling us that the main VW dealer in Bristol was not on a digitalised road etc! After having 2 new satnavs and 2 wing mirror receivers, a Kenwood gps aerial was fitted to our RNS 510 and all was well, the satnav now works! It is a round disc about the size of a £2 coin and it just rests on top of the unit under the plastic dashboard tray.

Thanks, we will speak to Breeze about this when we get home as we have a few minor things that need to be done under warranty anyway. At least this one looks as though it can be easily sorted.

We've had all of the above and more with our Tiguan unit. Utter garbage VW. Sorry to say but its a fact. Give up and fit TomTom.

S.

I have retrofitted an RNS510, with the cheapo GPS antenna described above and had the same problems as you describe. I replaced it with another cheapo version and now it is totally fixed.

I suspect it is either a dodgy antenna in the wing mirror, but as that has been replaced already I would guess the wire has been pinches somewhere between the wing mirror and the back of the stereo.

If you are under warranty I would take it back for further diagnosis. If you are out of warranty - I would buy a cheapo antenna and fit it on top of the stereo (under the storage tray on the dash) - it works a treat - is a 10 min job to fit and is cheap.

I also found another side effect was that if you went on a ferry it would take ages to work out that you were in a new country when you get off - with the replacement it works it out much faster.

T

Back