Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scissor jacks instead of levelling ramps?

Fitz@CFB

Fitz@CFB

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I recently spotted an Austrian reg Cali on a site in Ireland which was using a pair of compact scissor jacks located in the jacking points instead of levelling ramps under the wheels. I was intrigued as the levelling ramps take up a lot of room and even with a couple of timber ‘spreaders’ for soft ground the whole lot would save storage space. Also removes the risk of precise positioning (particularly with DSG). It seems like a reasonable idea but I cant find any threads dealing with it. Does anyone use jacks for levelling and are there any issues?
Thanks

I recently spotted an Austrian reg Cali on a site in Ireland which was using a pair of compact scissor jacks located in the jacking points instead of levelling ramps under the wheels. I was intrigued as the levelling ramps take up a lot of room and even with a couple of timber ‘spreaders’ for soft ground the whole lot would save storage space. Also removes the risk of precise positioning (particularly with DSG). It seems like a reasonable idea but I cant find any threads dealing with it. Does anyone use jacks for levelling and are there any issues?
Thanks
Sounds dodgy to me.
I don’t trust scissor jacks at the best of times, far too wobbly on one, on two, it would be asking for trouble.

Fun putting them in situ in the pouring rain on a grass pitch

It would reduce the van from rocking in the wind somewhat. I think you’d want to limit the lift so that the wheel on that corner doesn’t come off the ground completely so it wouldn’t be suitable for very un-level pitches. I would be wary of doing it if you have kids or dogs that might exploit access to the lifted van. If you give it a try, please let us know how it goes.

Never seen it before. You could always get inflatable ones if you find the normal too big or something not to you liking.

On a camping in italy there was a Marco Polo on two hydraulic jacks leveling the van in front. I guess that would take up even less space and will be more secure as well as offer more stability.