Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Falling off ramps

trevor k

trevor k

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all, I am currently on my first weekend away with my new van, when arriving at my pitch which was on aslight slope I decided to use my levelling ramps but each time I pull to the top of the ramps, place the van in gear forward or reverse as soon as I take the hand break off to turn the seat the van slowly works it way back down the ramps, I've tried ramps front and back and forward and reverse but each time the same result, it seems like it just slowly overcomes the engine compression and drops forward a few inches at a time.
Anybody had the same issue or an idea to overcome the problem.

We hardly ever use ramps (we have air suspension with auto-level function), but we know what you mean: whenever we park on a slope or something, when we release the brake while in gear with the motor off, our van may move 1-2 cm down the slope before the motor/gear 'holds' the van. Not always, but very often. I think you will just have to reckon with it: place the van 1 cm higher than necessary, because it will roll down a bit when you release the brake.

True but we don't stop at 1cm, after a few secs we then make a little more progress until we reach the bottom of the ramps lol.

Place a big stone in front of the wheel on the ground. And get a stopper next time you shop ;-)

Let air out of the appropriate tyres, and then re-inflate before moving off :(.

Personally I think ramps are more hassle than they're worth - just a personal view.

Regards,

Chris

I am not sure it is normal.

It is perfectly normal to pick up a bit of slack in the gear box when you are in gear on a slope and release the handbrake. However it sounds like yours does more than that.

I notice you have a 4Motion, but I don't think that would make a difference - I would expect leaving a car in gear to be as good as a handbrake - have you tried leaving it in different gears.

They sell ramps with a pice to put on the lower side to prevent rolling back....
All to much for me , got simple ramps and use the rarely ...

Like this
image.jpeg

Or something like this
image.jpeg

Or this
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Chock the wheel. Brick, stone or log out of the hedge.

We bought ramps many years ago and have never used them as we have never found a need to be perfectly level.
We try to find a pitch that is flat as possible and then live with any slope It may have.
The fridge does not need to be level, if the bed isn't level then you roll onto each other which can be nice, and the cooker, well, we cook outside as often as possible

I have carried ramps on van over 3 years now never used them
Keep saying I'll take them off the van and free up some room,but when I do I'll probably need them
Hope you get it sorted Trevor,be sure to post on the outcome

Alan

Thank you for your help and advice, good or gimmicky.

I have carried ramps on van over 3 years now never used them
Keep saying I'll take them off the van and free up some room,but when I do I'll probably need them
Hope you get it sorted Trevor,be sure to post on the outcome

Alan
If your cali has a DSG gearbox when in park it locks the wheels so you can release the hand brake without it moving.

Which forward gear are you selecting? Another one might be better. Worth a try.

Alan

A slightly contrary view....we have basic ramps and use them quite a lot..why not? Anyway after releasing the handbrake there is normally a slight bit of 'slippage' but not much, it should hold in gear.....do you put the handbrake back on after moving the drivers seat round?

I had this issue of rolling back down the ramps and to overcome this just made the turning of the drivers seat a 2 person job. I put my foot on the foot brake while my other half released the hand brake and rotated the seat. It's a bit of a faff but it is possible.

I had this issue of rolling back down the ramps and to overcome this just made the turning of the drivers seat a 2 person job. I put my foot on the foot brake while my other half released the hand brake and rotated the seat. It's a bit of a faff but it is possible.
Or I your a solo camper either get a broom handle like mr bean or practice yoga

If your cali has a DSG gearbox when in park it locks the wheels so you can release the hand brake without it moving.
Not necessarily. It depends where the locking pin is positioned when you select P. You can get slight movement as the gearbox diff moves to a position where the locking pin engages.

I had this last weekend - there seems to be a bit more roll-back in my new DSG than in my previous manual. I just drove up further up the ramps than needed to compensate for then falling back a bit.

With the swivel on my previous T5 I used to get my daughter to sit in the drivers seat with the van in gear & her foot on the brake pedal whilst temporarily knocking off the handbrake to turn the front bench.

Generally I like wilder sites than the manicured bowling green types, so the ramps are often handy & if not they happily sit between the front seats in their bag. After a bit of experimentation I've got better at estimating required wheel position 1, 2 or 3 separately for two wheels as needed, no real hassle now.

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/motorhom...omfort-security-locks/thule-levelers-_-307617

Is the only reason not to put handbrake to turn seat round? I always just keep brake on, is that ok?

Is the only reason not to put handbrake to turn seat round? I always just keep brake on, is that ok?
That's fine if you don't wish to turn the drivers seat around. As there are only 2 of us I don't always turn the drivers seat around, just push it forward.

If the van is in first gear then there shouldn't be anymore movement than taking up any backlash in the gearbox.

I tend to drive up the ramp, jam my foot on the middle peddle and deliberately stall the van whilst applying the handbrake. This seems to minimise any roll.
Also, at the risk of statin-the-bleedin-obvs, drive further up the ramp than required to allow for slippage.

Back