Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scratch on gloss black cover

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi, I have a small scratch on the storage compartment cover next to the gear lever on my T6. It’s gloss black and stands out like a sore thumb. Anyone got any ideas to remove it? I was thinking T Cut .
Thanks for any replies

I’m not sure T-cut will work or is even a good idea; you’re not dealing with a clear-coated body panel. You might end up taking off the finish in the whole area and making it hazy as T-cut is mildly abrasive. Depending on how deep it is, I’d be tempted to try something non-destructive like apply a tiny bit of car wax and polish it and see if it fills the scratch a bit?

Try a hidden area first just to make sure its compatible with the VW material

Ok I won’t be doing the T Cut idea then. I’ll look into the polywatch stuff
Thanks

I use Meguiars PlastX on faded headlights and gloss plastic trim. It’s a very gentle version of T-Cut designed for plastic and gets rid of swirl marks and faint scratches. Works well but take your time. They also do a gel version now called PlastRX but I’ve never used that.

Hi, I have a small scratch on the storage compartment cover next to the gear lever on my T6. It’s gloss black and stands out like a sore thumb. Anyone got any ideas to remove it? I was thinking T Cut .
Thanks for any replies
The liklihood of being able to get rid of the scratch so that it is invisible and the finish of the cover remaining untouched and matching the rest of the surrounding dashboard is very unlikely.
So, have you considered going the otherwise. Contrast. A colour sticker or cover , maybe matching the external vehicle cover, a logo, small VW badge etc.

Yeah I’d rather live with it rather than make it worse. Does anyone know if the black cover can be removed easily . Getting it wrapped could be another idea .

I scratched my black cover with a hoover nozzle on my Golf r when I had it. To say it drove me mad was an understatement given I was cleaning the car when I did it. The plastic is very soft and the colour just makes any mark stand out. Didn’t do anything to get rid of it other than selling the car!! I’m very careful now on my ocean as I feel that it is only a matter of time before it marks, even if only lightly.
Why it can’t be grey same as rest of the trim on the dash is beyond me.

This may help you to remove the cover and then have it resprayed

You don’t think anythang VW would be cheap did you ?

I agree it’s a lot of Dosh and hard to justify the cost, but it would do my head In Looking at that every time I got in the van.

Cheapest option, nice sticker a la @WelshGas

I used this stuff on a scratched instrument cluster, on a foam/microfibre pad. Took some time and gentle work (i.e. a Sunday morning job), but the plastic came up better than new.

Bad luck.

I have spent a lot of time spraying finishes on guitars and then working through grits from 1200 to 12,000, finally buffing them on a wheel to a gloss shine.
All polishes are abrasive liquids, they are designed to take out the tiniest scratches (swirls) by replacing them with ever smaller scratches, eventually those small scratches become invisible to the naked eye.

Gloss black on plastic is a very difficult proposition indeed. The polish will affect the surrounding areas and turn a small scratch into a small area. I'm not too sure that I would attempt it to be honest.

Whatever you choose I recommend you mask off everything except the scratch first and go slowly.

I think I’m going to live with it. As a temporary measure I have used a black permanent marker pen and gone over the scratch and it’s almost gone. I think I can live with it.

I think I’m going to live with it. As a temporary measure I have used a black permanent marker pen and gone over the scratch and it’s almost gone. I think I can live with it.
Stick a VW badge/decal on it.

I’m not sure T-cut will work or is even a good idea; you’re not dealing with a clear-coated body panel. You might end up taking off the finish in the whole area and making it hazy as T-cut is mildly abrasive. Depending on how deep it is, I’d be tempted to try something non-destructive like apply a tiny bit of car wax and polish it and see if it fills the scratch a bit?
Good question! It's always tricky to know what to do when it comes to scratches like this. It sounds like you're trying to be careful not to mess up the finish, which is definitely the right approach. I'd suggest looking into a light abrasive polishing compound, like a rubbing compound, which should be able to fill the scratch without damaging the surrounding area. Good luck!

Thanks for any replies
Worth trying a hard wax polish. Possibly one of those coloured car polishes.
It won’t remove the scratch but should make it less visible.

Back