Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stowage compartment cover in centre console will not stay closed

Devaprem

Devaprem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello. I posted a message on an old 2016 thread about this topic: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...e-console-cover-wont-close.15244/#post-603051 but haven't had any replies. I hope it's OK, therefore, to start this as a new thread. The problem is that the cover on the centre storage compartment won't stay closed anymore. I believe there's a latching mechanism that has somehow failed and noticed a bit of wire inside the compartment that I think has come out of the mechanism. I could take it to my VW dealer but am away at present. Does anyone know how the latching mechanism on this storage compartment works. If I could fix this then it'll save a lot of hassle, I've attached pictures.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

IMG_4060.jpeg

IMG_4059.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello. I posted a message on an old 2016 thread about this topic: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...e-console-cover-wont-close.15244/#post-603051 but haven't had any replies. I hope it's OK, therefore, to start this as a new thread. The problem is that the cover on the centre storage compartment won't stay closed anymore. I believe there's a latching mechanism that has somehow failed and noticed a bit of wire inside the compartment that I think has come out of the mechanism. I could take it to my VW dealer but am away at present. Does anyone know how the latching mechanism on this storage compartment works. If I could fix this then it'll save a lot of hassle, I've attached pictures.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

View attachment 99383

View attachment 99384
I think the mechanism to hold the lid locked in place is inside the left and right hinge. If anything came loose from there, it would fall down. That piece does not seem to be related.

I will now check my van tomorrow morning and have an update, but if you get a moment, are you able to remove the rubber lining and try closing - to see if it closes? (though that does not seem to be the issue, but worth a try).

That metal part is the locking mechanism. See thread for more info.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. I have removed the rubber lining and it still doesn't close. From looking inside the compartment at the flap, I can just make out that the upper right hand side appears to have a rectangular moulding. Perhaps this is part of the latching mechanism but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your comments. I have removed the rubber lining and it still doesn't close. From looking inside the compartment at the flap, I can just make out that the upper right hand side appears to have a rectangular moulding. Perhaps this is part of the latching mechanism but I'm not sure.
Ok, curiosity got the better of me and went and took a pic. The metal part is from the top of the lid and has something to do with holding the lid. Not sure how - but that is investigation parked for tomorrow morning.

See pic, you can just about see the metal part sticking out.

1663365913217.png

Compared to your pic

1663366013956.png

I do have a endoscope camera so will be able to look behind there tomorrow and update.

Very interesting! I see how the loose metal part fits from your photos. Perhaps it provides some kind of spring action for the latching function. I’m not sure how to fit it back in yet but will have a look later. Thanks for your continuing investigations!

Ok, some updates.

Here are some pics of how that metal part is housed inside the stowage compartment lid, with some notes.

1663408985124.png

Here is a video (apologies, not very focussed, but you may get an idea) on how the mechanism work

That fragile plastic part in the pic above is most probably broken in your case and that has allowed the pin to fall out.

Other than welding that fragile plastic piece in the pic above back in place, cannot think of any other solution.

Anyone knows a way of taking out the lid? (I have not tried it yet as mine is working fine and don't want to break it ;) ) - if anyone can figure out a method to take out the lid, then it is a very easy and permanent repair.

Last edited:
Thanks! Excellent diagnostics . When I’m back home, I’ll have a look more closely inside to see if the latching mechanism is intact (although it is possible that it will have to go to a VW dealer - I have an All In Plan so they might fix it under that warranty).

Thanks! Excellent diagnostics . When I’m back home, I’ll have a look more closely inside to see if the latching mechanism is intact (although it is possible that it will have to go to a VW dealer - I have an All In Plan so they might fix it under that warranty).
Hi! Sam problem here.

Did you manage to fix it or did you have to get it replaced?

Sorry to hear you have the same problem. I haven't yet had it checked by my local VW Van Centre but will update this post when I have news (probably in a couple of weeks).

Here's an update. I've been told that the fault with the faulty latching on the cover is not included in the All-In Plan warranty and that it cannot be repaired, only replaced for just over £200. VW say that it is classified as trim and that isn't included in the warranty. Is there anyone on this forum who has been able to repair this fault? I think the difficulty of access is the problem but perhaps removing the centre console with the compartment and gearstick surround would mean easier access, perhaps even taken this apart. The work to remove it might be difficult though, although this video was helpful and interesting (
19 unites from the start). It seems crazy (and expensive) that such a small fault requires so much expense. The replacement centre console (photo attached) costs around £130 with the rest being labour to fit it.

Any suggestions very welcome.

VW Centre console and gearstick surround.jpeg

I have added a tread on how to repair this.
The thread is called STOWAGE COMPARTMENT COVER HATCH WILL NOT STAY CLOSED - HOW TO REPAIR IT

Back