Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scuffing Noise after cold start

V

Vanalli

Guest User
Hi folks, has anyone experienced a scuffing noise from the engine bay. After a cold start the noise occurs once within 500m of driving then does not occur for the rest of the day, even if I stop for a long period of time.

Ah that sounds familiar. I've had that on my Caddy (2.0L engine). Scuffing is a good description. I've never managed to find the root cause. It's never repeatable so almost impossible to find.

If you do locate it please update.

Don't understand it!! I had an issue with the alternator belt shredding or popping off this turns out to be an issue with 2014 california. They changed many parts and put in different belt tensioner. I thought this was the issue but it can't be after so much has been changed. So it must be something else. The garage want's to have it overnight so that they can listen to what it does in the morning but I need it all the time at the moment.

It really bothers me as it just isn't right at all. I have driven over 20K and had services as needed but no change to the scuffing noise. I hope it is not the gearbox as it sounds a little like crunching gears on a manual when you haven't quite got the clutch in far enough.

I would let them have it over night if it is only on 1st start up - ask for a loaner over night

I have a T5 multivan here in Australia and have the same issue. A light crunch or scuff sound within the first 500m of the first start of the day. Sometimes on corners sometimes on a strait, usually between 20-30km/h. Happens usually 1/3 times in 500m then not again for the whole day even if the motor cools down.

Did you guys find what was causing it?

Hi folks, has anyone experienced a scuffing noise from the engine bay. After a cold start the noise occurs once within 500m of driving then does not occur for the rest of the day, even if I stop for a long period of time.
Could it be the sound of air moving about the cooling system, an airlock maybe?

No, the van has a light shudder.
Imagine running over an aluminium can, or plastic water bottle.

Could it be the sound of air moving about the cooling system, an airlock maybe?

I am finding my Cali on a damp morning has a bit a clutch judder when pulling away from my drive (a slight slope). No sounds though but like your problem it soon goes away and can only be replicated from cold on a damp cool morning.

As an update to my issue, VW Requested my service guys send a dash am video that I'd taken, plus a picture of the oil.
They are now replacing the whole gearbox.

Dash cam vid. Not great audio.

I have a T5 multivan here in Australia and have the same issue. A light crunch or scuff sound within the first 500m of the first start of the day. Sometimes on corners sometimes on a strait, usually between 20-30km/h. Happens usually 1/3 times in 500m then not again for the whole day even if the motor cools down.

Did you guys find what was causing it?

Not on this vehicle but I have heard a similar noise from a limited slip diff where you get a similar noise when it releases after turning a tight turn.

Can you try it in an empty shopping centre car park where you can perform some tight turns?

Back