Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sea to Summit mattress report

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We’re well into a trip to France and using this mattress upstairs.
Over 13 years we’ve explored many different sleeping arrangements and a 7 week trip last year confirmed to us that this mattress was the most comfortable and ideal because it can stay in the roof space.
I must make the point though that it must be deflated to allow the roof to close effectively.
However, using a very tiny portable electric pump that pits easily into the palm of your hand this deflation takes around 5 mins. Easy.

I concur.
We have two. One for up and one for down.
They are so comfy.
Even with a bad back, pumped right up for two to sleep on and I don’t have back ache in the morning. Unlike many hotel beds I sleep in :thumb

I must make the point though that it must be deflated to allow the roof to close effectively.
Interested to know if you mean it can be left deflated on top of the original mattress or if that is with the original mattress removed? I’m assuming the later but grateful for confirmation.
Thanks.

Interested to know if you mean it can be left deflated on top of the original mattress or if that is with the original mattress removed? I’m assuming the later but grateful for confirmation.
Thanks.
I originally removed the VW mattress, and left the S2S up there.
But it does inflate under the heat.
Got worried it would do damage to thin roof.
So I keep the original VW mattress up there and store the S2S in the bag.
I leave the lower one folded in 3 on back shelf for downstairs.

does anyone have a link to the mattress and its dimensions? will it fit the Beach bed? or is it only the right size for the ocean bed?

does anyone have a link to the mattress and its dimensions? will it fit the Beach bed? or is it only the right size for the ocean bed?
Here’s the link for the Ocean version. I use this downstairs and love it. This is a link to a double that may be better for the Beach?

Ours needs to be topped up with air each night - it’s over a year old and I don’t know if I can be bothered getting into discussions with the supplier re repair replacement. Putting it in a bath to detect the leak sounds like a pain in the neck too - guess we’ll just put up with it as it is v comfy!

Not sure why I’m posting - just another perspective I suppose ;)

Ours needs to be topped up with air each night - it’s over a year old and I don’t know if I can be bothered getting into discussions with the supplier re repair replacement. Putting it in a bath to detect the leak sounds like a pain in the neck too - guess we’ll just put up with it as it is v comfy!

You'll probbaly end up needing a replacement every couple of years due to microleaks. The Camper version design isn't very good vs the gussetted double and single versions.

sparkly probbaly end up needing a replacement every couple of years due to microleaks. The Camper version design isn't very good vs the gussetted double and single versions.
Interesting - I thought we’d cracked our sleeping comfort needs but apparently not for long without more spending

Interesting - I thought we’d cracked our sleeping comfort needs but apparently not for long without more spending
It’s for life warranty.
I’ve already had a new replacement and they said if I have any problems to let them know again.
Great customer service.

It’s for life warranty.
I’ve already had a new replacement and they said if I have any problems to let them know again.
Great customer service.
Well there were some quarters indicating S2S were dropping the camper version. That may still happen.I hope they provide a full refund if production stops (now the T6.1 is effectively a legacy product) if they decide too many are being returned.

lat it down in the garden, blow it up, fill up a bucket with soapy water, get a cloth and start wiping the wet cloth on the mattrass. Start at the sides best chance a hole will be there

Well there were some quarters indicating S2S were dropping the camper version. That may still happen.I hope they provide a full refund if production stops (now the T6.1 is effectively a legacy product) if they decide too many are being returned.
Life time warranty suggests a life time warranty. I guess a fully square one would be offered or maybe two singles if they run out / stop production of the camper Deluxe.
Would have to ask S2S that Q.
I’ll email and ask whilst lying on the beach :)

Thanks all for the v helpful responses on my predicament - looks like a warranty claim is worthwhile.

And apologies to the OP for hijacking this post

Had an email back.

Hi Will,

Just checked with STS and there are no plans to discontinue the mat!

Kind Regards,
David Howard
Customer Service Assistant
Please note that our warehouse will be closed for our annual stock check from 27th-30th June. Any orders received by midday on 25th June will be shipped prior to stock check. We will endeavour to ship any orders received after this time prior to closure however this is not guaranteed. Our warehouse will re-open from 1st July

image001.jpg
Internet E-mail Confidentiality Footer:
This message may contain confidential information and must not be copied, disclosed or used by anybody other than the intended recipient. If you have received this message in error, please notify us by e-mail (postmaster@mountainboot.co.uk) and then delete the e-mail and any copies of it. Please note that neither Mountain Boot Company Limited nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan any attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Mountain Boot Company Limited by means of email. Please note that Mountain Boot Company monitors emails for security and business purposes.

Thanks.
Sorry for the late reply. I remove the original mattress. There’s no need to have it. We’ve just had over 4 weeks and again have been so comfortable.

I originally removed the VW mattress, and left the S2S up there.
But it does inflate under the heat.
Got worried it would do damage to thin roof.
So I keep the original VW mattress up there and store the S2S in the bag.
I leave the lower one folded in 3 on back shelf for downstairs.
If you turn the plugs around to deflate then the mattress does not reinflate at all.

If you turn the plugs around to deflate then the mattress does not reinflate at all.
I did, but after 3 months, I found it had inflated itself as the stitching around the circumference of the S2S isn’t totally sealed and some leakage will occur. “Leakage, meaning pulling in air from heating and cooling of a black roof” and then very slowly over 3 months inflating to be inflated.
Not so much as to push the roof up away from its seals. But still as tall as the mattress that was removed. Just an idea to keep an eye on it once every 3 months.

Back