Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sea to Summit - roof bed

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

We’re waiting for our T6.1 Ocean to arrive and are reviewing our options for the upper bed comfort.

We had a T6 and have the zone sleep Ultra for the upper bed, but we’ve seen that the T6.1 doesn’t have the separate shaped section at the narrow end, so the ultra will have a bit missing if we remove the standard vw mattress up there on the T6.1.

That got us thinking about the camper version of the sea to summit mattress. How well does this work in the upper bed on the T6.1 ? How do you get it deflated or back down when getting the roof down? Can you pump the air out of it somehow? Presume it is too thick to leave up there inflated?

Going down this route (if it works ok) would also save us having to carry around our standard zone sleep topper we have for the lower bed too, which would be handy.

Thanks

Will.

There is another thread where this is discussed already but here is my summary:
we have the s2s upstairs , you need to deflate in order to close the roof.
we deflate by rolling matress up from back to front, the reversed valves will not let air back in again.
No need to get all air out, only need to reduce matress thickness from 4 to 2 inches.
It takes only 2 minutes to do this.

There is another thread where this is discussed already but here is my summary:
we have the s2s upstairs , you need to deflate in order to close the roof.
we deflate by rolling matress up from back to front, the reversed valves will not let air back in again.
No need to get all air out, only need to reduce matress thickness from 4 to 2 inches.
It takes only 2 minutes to do this.
Thanks for this advice. We have now done the same with our new S2S mattress and rolled up the mattress to get rid of the majority of the air then laid it flat and it was then easy to close the roof. As you say you need to keep the valve in the one way reversed position just in case in the future whilst the roof is closed any remaining air that could expand in the heat can also escape. We loved the bed and would never now go without it - it resolved my hip and back problem!

I didn’t realise you could reverse the valve until I watched “California time” on YouTube, probably should have read the instructions!

To be honest the new 6.1 mattress and froli springs are so comfortable we don't use anything else up top. The bottom bed definitely needs something though.

Back