Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Searching for a compact drive-away awning

A

ALTYGEZZER555

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I am looking for a compact awning for my new Cali Ocean, one that is light-weight, doesn't take up much storage room in the vehicle and just enough comfort room for two people. I would be grateful for any recommendations!

I am looking for a compact awning for my new Cali Ocean, one that is light-weight, doesn't take up much storage room in the vehicle and just enough comfort room for two people. I would be grateful for any recommendations!

Another option is the Vango Magra Air VW.​

We have an Outwell Milestone Shade. Good quality and fairly small.

We use the Herzog Quick. It is stated as "non drive away" but we just attach two more tentropes on the bus side after detaching it and that just works fine. We attach to the Cali with a large size zipper (extra option). Do not know if you can get it in GB. http://www.herzogvoortenten.nl/bustenten/quick/
View attachment 98636
View attachment 98637

Another option for setting up (using it as an awning), we use this often.
View attachment 98638
Thank you for your reply. This awning looks to be exactly what I am looking for, compact and light weight. I will follow this up. A big thanks for the link and the photos.

We have the Vango Palm (air beam) pretty small but in truth most of the drive away awnings will take up at least a third of your boot under tray area when packed.

7035EDDE-7BBE-4544-87ED-9F6CA952D456.jpeg

We use the Herzog Quick. It is stated as "non drive away" but we just attach two more tentropes on the bus side after detaching it and that just works fine. We attach to the Cali with a large size zipper (extra option). Do not know if you can get it in GB. http://www.herzogvoortenten.nl/bustenten/quick/
View attachment 98636
View attachment 98637

Another option for setting up (using it as an awning), we use this often.
View attachment 98638
I really like this. There didn't seem to be a UK option on the website, but if anyone knows of anything similar available in the UK I'd be very interested.

I’m still not sold on the idea of a drive-away awning. We find a small gazebo to be a simple solution, like the one in this photo from Decathlon. It can be used close to the van and connected with wind out awning in bad weather or just used stand-alone like this in hot weather. May not be exactly what you are looking for, but it’s another valid option.

73D28A2F-37F2-4163-8960-E8AA5EFA7949.jpeg