Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seats and Tyres on a new SE

skinnywhippet

skinnywhippet

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We've been reading this forum over the last few months and have found all the information really useful in helping us to choose our first campervan.

We are now close to ordering a new SE 180 DSG but still have a couple of questions and would greatly value any opinions from people with experience.

We had thought we would go for leather seats (factory or after market re-trim) on the basis that we have two dogs and don't want to be forever trying to clean muddy footprints off the standard fabric. However, the dealers we've spoken to have recommended fabric as much more comfortable for sleeping and pretty easy to keep clean. Any thoughts?

Also, we would use the Cali in the Alps once each Winter. With our car we have fitted winter tyres for the trip, but with the Cali we are thinking of using all-season tyres. How well does the Cali with all-season tyres cope in snow? We'd rather not go for 4Motion.

Thanks very much in advance!

Go for leather as I did then cover with Brandup seat covers .....

As for 4 wheel drive.....I did 22 countries with 2 wheel drive over all terrains and was fine

Whatever you go for, you'll need seat covers for dogs. I'd go fabric with the waterproof INKA covers, and spend the saving on beer.

You mentioned retrims I would go for fabric, look at seat covers then see how it does If you decide on leather you can retrim later,
There are several partners on the forum who make seat covers we have gone for bright coloured ones from Jackyards you can get more natural ones.
I have bought a second set of wheels and have winter tyres which a lot of members seem to do, extra expense to start with but we use the van as a daily drive and we intend to keep it for some time budget wise I see the rims as the real extra cost as you are only using tyres on the road one set at the time

Thanks for these replies, very useful. I can see starting with covers and seeing how we get on makes a lot of sense as a re-trim can be done any time.

Re. the winter tyres these have been brilliant on our estate car for snow in France (and we live in a hilly area in England), but it would be nice to not have the spares to store. We would only do about 10K miles a year so if the all season tyres do the job we wouldn't mind if they wear a bit more in Summer.