Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Winter tyres

bverduijn

bverduijn

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all

I am picking up my new 180 DSG Cali next week and was thinking of getting a set of winter tyres with it, however the price quoted by VW seems awfully high at £723.86 + VAT for 4 x 17” Steel Wheels fitted with Landsail Winter Tyres. This includes the black centre cap trims for the wheels.

I also considered reducing the price by going for 16" ones, but apparently the 16” wheels will not fit the 180PS model as the brake calipers are larger.

Is that simply the price of a full set or can I expect to get them for less elsewhere?

Any ideas? What do other people do for winter tyres on their 180 Cali?

Many thanks for all your thoughts.

Kind regards

Bjorn

It is about what I paid for 17" :(

I've got a set of 16" ones that might be for sale. Not quite made up my mind.

Check you have the big gears brakes, obvious looking at them as they fill the wheel on 17" wheels . If so 16" won't fit. There are plenty of 17 used wheels for sale if you bide your time, I did and got a great deal, tyre wise not all winter tyres are great try looking on tyreleader, tyre men sites etc. you might get a good deal on them in July!

how do they measure wheel diameter ? my car has 17 in tyres but the wheel is 18 1/4 my van has 18 in tyres and wheels that measure 19 1/2 diameter and I have a set of steel wheels with no tyres that measure 17 in diameter so does that make then 16 in tyres?

Just about to pick our DSG 180 4motion up next week too.
I was "told" by SMG that the fitted tyres are "all season" and therefore legal in Germany etc for winter use. We don't want to compete with snowploughs but could a winter expert please set us all straight on the winter tyre rules and regs please?

Surely swapping a set of tyres twice a year is cheaper than having a spare set of wheels? Do "all season" tyres actually exist?

I have used all season tyres with mud and snow markings on them in Germany and they perform really well. As long as hey have a snowflake symbol on them, you are legal. As for grip, we drove in several inches of snow with no difficulty at all.

so, does anyone know what tyres are fitted as standard on the California SE?

so, does anyone know what tyres are fitted as standard on the California SE?

whatever is convenient. Normally when you buy one you are given a choice.

In my case all season but as I do a lot of winter travelling in places like Northern Scotland I change to winters in winter. It is, after alll, up to me and not VW.

Rich20 seems to think that standard all seasons are a) OK and b) legal, so if they come as standard, that's good. Lets face it, the Cali is made in a country with winter rules, so unless they stick crap ones on UK stock, then we should be OK surely? I'll find out next week, and will be checking for snowflakes. Anyone out there with any further clarification?

Thanks for the link WelshGas.
All season for UK looks correct if you don't overwinter in Spain, or go skiing. Obviously a following F1 style pit crew with 4 sets would make things much better, but we can't all stretch to that. :boring

Just about to pick our DSG 180 4motion up next week too.
I was "told" by SMG that the fitted tyres are "all season" and therefore legal in Germany etc for winter use. We don't want to compete with snowploughs but could a winter expert please set us all straight on the winter tyre rules and regs please?

Surely swapping a set of tyres twice a year is cheaper than having a spare set of wheels? Do "all season" tyres actually exist?

M'n'S tyres, as others have said, are excellent. Winter tyres are still mandatory in some countries. I keep two sets of rims, one with all season and one with winter. My M'n'S tyres performed really well on flooded tracks in the west country and got me off a couple of mud bath pitches but I prefer the security of winters when Ice and deep snow are regular conditions. If you are not going to go snow ploughing then M'n'S should be plenty good enough.

It's hard to justify winter tyres until we have a bad winter again, the last few have been very mild. I also have them on my golf and live in the county on a hill, when the snow is deep I can get through where I would definitely get stuck( lots of abandoned cars that I drive passed). Don't forget when you use your winter tyres you aren't wearing out your summer ones!

:eek: .. winter is nigh :(

Any updates on what tyres, and where to get for a 180? Wasn't there a forum member who was doing them?

Oli at BMVS supplied mine and swaps them over every six months.

a 30 minute jaunt down the road and an hour drinking decent coffee and it's job done for the next 6 months. No real hardship.

I am gambling that it is not going to snow in the Loire valley before November though, going there before changing over :D

A bit far for me, I am north of Watford, the tyres would be worn out before I got back :D

Think you should be safe in the Loire Valley. Last time I was there was in a VW Devon Moonraker in about 1977 .... seems like yesterday. Didn't worry about EGR valves then, just worried about dropping a valve and wrecking the engine!

A bit far for me, I am north of Watford, the tyres would be worn out before I got back :D

Think you should be safe in the Loire Valley. Last time I was there was in a VW Devon Moonraker in about 1977 .... seems like yesterday. Didn't worry about EGR valves then, just worried about dropping a valve and wrecking the engine!

You would like Bognor, the sun shines there.

You would like Bognor, the sun shines there.
Sun? :cool:

We don't see that here "oop north" due to the smog from the diesels.

Must come and get some of that! Hire me a deck chair!

C
:eek: .. winter is nigh :(

Any updates on what tyres, and where to get for a 180? Wasn't there a forum member who was doing them?
Colin
Give tyre leader a look. They sell rims (alloy and steel) as well as tyres online and were very competitive when I bought some winter tyres and wheels for my BMW. Much cheaper than the stealer

Hi Ross, good tip. Only thing is I'm bemused by the amount of tyre choice!

I assume they put them on the wheel and all I have to do is swap them over?

These look like the ones for mine, about £32 for the wheels; but which tyre is the best? Maybe this one?

Hi Colin
The tyres and wheels come separately. They can either send to you or direct to one of their network of fitters, who will then mount them for you (for a small fee).
Agree the choice of tyres is bewildering. You can't go too far wrong with Conti's, just make sure they are the correct load and speed rating for the van.