Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Second hand Cali's

reserves

reserves

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm on the lookout for a second hand Cali after having access to my friends for the last year or so.

Need some more time to access funds but keeping my eye on the market.

Seems like there are many available at the moment, way more than I've ever seen, wondering if this is just normal for the end of the Summer or to do with other factors?

I'm currently looking too. It does seem this last two weeks that the flood gates have opened with used Cali's. Just missed out on one by hours as it was only advertised the same day I saw it and by the following day it was gone!
Hopefully get one soon, currently looking at insurance quotes. They vary wildly from £350 to £1700? :eek:
Good luck getting one :thumb

With hundreds more being brought new every year means there will be more used come on the market as the Cali population grows in force ..
This time of the year end of summer season and being of the next season always seems to be the time people but and sell ,so nothing usual or to worry about ,but means there's more out there to buy and not as limited to what you want :)

This is the most we have ever seen in the 'for sale' section, we have been adding an average of one every two days ...

It is a great time to buy :thumb

Hi all, I'm looking too, and have been for about a year!

I've noticed the increase of Cali's coming up for sale and I'm sure this is mostly to do with the season coming to an end. I suspect there will be many other genuine reasons too.
I must admit, as a prospective buyer, I am getting slightly cold feet. After all, 30K plus is a lot of hard earned cash to be investing in a Cali with a corroding roof, dodgy control unit or failing EGR valves! Even more so, one out of warranty with the possibility of high repair bills.
As a prospective buyer I cant help but wonder if some are just selling their Cali's as they have simply had enough with Cali problems? I have often seen the comment - "I think I may just sell it"
Maybe I'm just becoming slightly paranoid after reading the Forums? I'm sure there will be those who have enjoyed many years of trouble free motoring.
I'm still looking though and just trying to pluck up the courage lol.

I have yet to come across a vehicle model that has an Internet forum that seems to be predominantly full of posts regarding problems or requesting help with a problem. It is more likely, no problems no posts and this is one of the few forums where their seems to be a preponderance of informative rather than problem posts. OK we have a special problem regarding the alloy roof, but VW have increased the warranty to 6 years and have a fix in place for the fixed roof section and as for the elevating section which appears to be a paint/galvanic corrosion problem if a fix is not forthcoming then this is controllable. Those with vehicles outside thearranty period may have an expensive problem if they insist on the VW approved repair but there are alternative means of keeping it looking good. Engine, electrical etc problems are no different to many other makes and models. Just check out some of the other vehicle forums.
This is also the time of year that camping equipment, caravans, motor homes and Campervans are moved on to avoid winter storage and to clear the decks for next spring, or because people want a change to upgrade or downgrade for numerous reasons.
My new SE is at dealers for pickup on 1st Dec, when I retire. It will be a 365 day vehicle and have already booked sites over the winter.
Don't forget, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I'm in Albert right now, parked outside Albert (sur la Somme)!!!

If only every car that I have owned has been so trouble free, so easy to drive and so forgiving. Tonight going to Thiepal I turned off a main road (thank you Sat Nav!!!!! :crazy ) and found myself travelling for 2 miles on a cart track!

Yes, it has it's problems, so far mine (now approaching it's 8,000th mile this year) has repaid in spades whatever the niggles have been.

We went to VW kettering at the Weekend, they have 17 yes 17 Cali's in stock (new), just about all types all have a few miles on the clock and them as the first owner, we test drove a 140 manual, 180 dsg, and a 180 dsg 4x4, they register a few each month then advertise them in the Autotrader when they are 30 days old. Any one else been in to see them.

Kettering has a big secure compound where they keep stock for kettering, derby, leicester and northampton (riverside). I think of those only leicester is a van centre.

The chaps in kettering will show you around, but I think all negotiations go via leicester.

We looked at a couple in kettering (we are local), but in the end went elsewhere for a better deal.

All this info is 18 months old :)

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

teeboy said:
Kettering has a big secure compound where they keep stock for kettering, derby, leicester and northampton (riverside). I think of those only leicester is a van centre.

The chaps in kettering will show you around, but I think all negotiations go via leicester.

We looked at a couple in kettering (we are local), but in the end went elsewhere for a better deal.

All this info is 18 months old :)

Riverside is now longer a van centre, Kettering now sell direct (used as per the 17 they have) Leicester also sell used but also sell new. So have we.

Calihunter said:
Hi all, I'm looking too, and have been for about a year!

I've noticed the increase of Cali's coming up for sale and I'm sure this is mostly to do with the season coming to an end. I suspect there will be many other genuine reasons too.
I must admit, as a prospective buyer, I am getting slightly cold feet. After all, 30K plus is a lot of hard earned cash to be investing in a Cali with a corroding roof, dodgy control unit or failing EGR valves! Even more so, one out of warranty with the possibility of high repair bills.
As a prospective buyer I cant help but wonder if some are just selling their Cali's as they have simply had enough with Cali problems? I have often seen the comment - "I think I may just sell it"
Maybe I'm just becoming slightly paranoid after reading the Forums? I'm sure there will be those who have enjoyed many years of trouble free motoring.
I'm still looking though and just trying to pluck up the courage lol.

The Cali's are getting older every year, it is now over 10 years old so there will be problems.

It is pretty scary getting one out of warranty but I don't seeing it being any different that any older vehicle.

I was thinking that it's better to go older (2005-2009) rather than (2010-2012) and use the money 'saved' to pay for any repairs, they will be out of warranty anyways. Essentially all the interior / camping stuff is the same and that's what I want a Cali for. *However* the whole roof thing is a bit of an issue, anything over 6 years old isn't covered so this logic doesn't really work.

I think i'm going to hold off till early next year, see what happens with the T6, the roof issues and the Mercedes.

I'm going to wait until next year too, and see what happens with the merc- we're still going to rent a cali for a weekend in oct to see if it will work for us. My original plan was for 2nd hand, then i realised it wouldn't be that much more for a new one (plus finance is available) and less risk of getting a lemon. Base spec of merc in spain seems to come with a lot that you have to pay extra for in the cali- but my spanish isn't that great so i may be wrong!

also want to have a look at the terrier, as although its a conversion, it looks to be good quality- 'camper van of the year' (is british built so good to support them), and the base van is good (not sure about the table though as it looks a bit of a pain to take from behind the bench seat and put in the mount. i am at a work conference at the NEC when the caravan/motorhome show is on so will try and sneak out and have a quick look at it! (the fact that work conference was on at the same time had absolutely no bearing on my request to go!)

always the question of residuals though- not sure about the terrier, and also not sure calis will hold up as there's lots of new calis being sold at the moment, in 3 years when i am looking to replace, keep or get rid entirely, they might be much cheaper than they are now. The cali might also be superseded by the T6 soon, and if it isn't, could the Merc become the camper of choice for the discerning buyer, rather than the cali....? Interested to hear your views, and also off to see a VW dealer on sat so will see what he reckons!

I know it takes a while for new designs to grow on us, but that Wellhouse Terrier is one car-crash of an ugly design; particularly on it's Gangster wheels.

I do realise the irony of that statement with my van BTW :lol:

I was comparing it to the T5 / T6 / Merc debate.

The second hand market is very strong at the moment. We have just sold two of our 2013 DSG Cali's within 7 days of putting them up for sale. Only 1 left now for sale this year

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
The second hand market is very strong at the moment. We have just sold two of our 2013 DSG Cali's within 7 days of putting them up for sale. Only 1 left now for sale this year

Good to hear. I really don't understand the worry of the T6's depressing the market. Pre-facelift T5, T4, T25, T2 sales are always strong. Its the weird world of vw campers :)

I think the gangsta wheels are an optional extra. :)

I have my doubts about it but worth a quick look in the flesh.

Ps, if you want a laugh, watch the advert for the red one, it looks like something that the crap team in the apprentice would do

Seems that less are coming on for sale now, so definitely more advertised after the summer.

The ones that are still not sold are probably priced too high.

Ex demo 2014 models have been available from VW for £39,900 while there's a few 2013 plates on here for £40k with more miles on the clock.

For record similar spec on Drive the Deal are coming out at £43.5k brand new.

Hence why we went down the new route.

pjm-84 said:
Hence why we went down the new route.

Do wonder who would pay those second hand prices. Cheaper finance on new too.

I think people are happy to buy used and pay a premium rather than wait the 20 week build times, especially if buying in the spring as you risk losing the summer season.

I expect the ones listed are happy to wait until next year before selling as they will always sell, especially from March onwards

reserves said:
Seems that less are coming on for sale now, so definitely more advertised after the summer.

The ones that are still not sold are probably priced too high.

Ex demo 2014 models have been available from VW for £39,900 while there's a few 2013 plates on here for £40k with more miles on the clock.

For record similar spec on Drive the Deal are coming out at £43.5k brand new.
I suspect a lot of folks are now concentrating on christmas rather than on selling their Cali. Market may pick up in new year.

I also agree that some folk may rather pay a premium on 1 yr old to use strait away rather than wait for a new build.

Don't forget anything is "worth nothing" till it is sold & money in the bank.