Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Secret places to stop overnight?

Bobajob

Bobajob

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi folks,

We are fairly new to the camper van experience so to date this being our first season we have stayed on caravan/camp sites.
We have joined a couple of clubs e.g. camping and caravan club and caravan and motor home club so we can test out their various sites for our short breaks.

With the season now over many sites have closed but we want to try a few one night stops if we foresee a fine crisp and cold sunny day or two or we thought why pay for a hotel if your visiting somewhere for a night? Is there an obvious website or forum which identifies any simple/basic stop off points, country pubs&inns, village car parks, farms etc with just a few pitches that are deemed safe and will get you by for a one night stop? (Assuming the obvious that lay by's are not deemed suitable due to traffic noise and potentially dangerous)
Hoping there is a guide of secret places where the camper van community have shared knowledge??
Second question do you sleep on the ground floor rather than in the pop up when it comes to keeping warm in winter?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice,
We sleep up top all year too (unless a gale is blowing). We use a wrap around topper (rainbow thermal screens) - keeps the heat in and significantly reduces condensation (used together with the windscreen cover), and our duvet from home.
With that setup we have the heating on 2-3 while sitting downstairs in the evening, but we switch off when we go to bed. Never had it that cold, but -3°C was fine like this.

2020 freedom

2020 freedom

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thanks for posts 17 to 20 :thumb

And I never thought about fishing ...why would I? anybody would think its by the sea or something.:headbang

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Thanks for posts 17 to 20 :thumb

And I never thought about fishing ...why would I? anybody would think its by the sea or something.:headbang
I was not fishing, I replied to the wrong post.

I was pursuing an activity similar to which you propose except in my case it's a plodding, wheezing progress a little bit quicker than a geriatric snail.

You wouldn't be considering the Purbeck 10k by any chance?

They call the course "undulating" ..... I've met less undulations mountaineering than I met on that bloody course :shocked

2020 freedom

2020 freedom

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I was not fishing, I replied to the wrong post.

I was pursuing an activity similar to which you propose except in my case it's a plodding, wheezing progress a little bit quicker than a geriatric snail.

You wouldn't be considering the Purbeck 10k by any chance?

They call the course "undulating" ..... I've met less undulations mountaineering than I met on that bloody course :shocked
I did wonder given your running interest......
Yes I walked some of that a while ago and that was a struggle on some hills.:talktothehand

Purbeck 10? I'll look it up.

2020 freedom

2020 freedom

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
@GrannyJen
This one?
the-purbeck-6
I looked at the 16 but reading the description (Hard) I'd be quite happy to do 10k.
A bit early for any commitment yet though. Are you signed up?

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
@GrannyJen
This one?
the-purbeck-6
I looked at the 16 but reading the description (Hard) I'd be quite happy to do 10k.
A bit early for any commitment yet though. Are you signed up?
I could be. Still trying to sort my diary out and at present in limbo awaiting results of more heart tests.

Still chewed up over having to withdraw from London, Berlin and Bournemouth marathons :( But then born with a heart defect that is now only making it's miserable self felt at the age of 72 I feel stupidly, incredibly privileged and gifted to be able to run any distance.

2020 freedom

2020 freedom

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I feel stupidly, incredibly privileged and gifted to be able to run any distance.
I think we should all be grateful.
A friend of mine who was far more athletic in childhood than I was, has life limiting health issues where he is dependant on staying fit enough to withstand a heart and kidney transplant, should the opportunity arise.
He is younger than I am and I love him dearly. Whenever I'm down about my legs giving in over a distance this puts it all back in perspective. It's brilliant what you do!