Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Securing dogs "on a lead" on camp sites

Archie

Archie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all
We collected our van a few days ago and have only had Archie the yellow lab puppy for 6 months so have yet to do the camping and dog combination (and kids!)
Any tips for securing him outside when we are parked up on campsites? Most sites seem to want them on leads.
Are the spiral ground spikes any good, or will a lab be able to pull it free?
We've also thought of forming a "compound" with wind breaks around the awning, does anyone else do it and does this work in practice?

:smile Archie the mucky pup :smile

Re: Securing dogs "on a lead" on camp sites

I have used the spiral ground hook before and it works ... I have seen loads of people on sites using them with big dogs on them ;-)

we've got some BIG tent pegs we use for the awning tie downs... same diameter as rebar.

Works a treat, can be hammered into any ground. (We've broken 2 of the spiral ground spikes) And it easily holds two dogs.

VERY nervous of tying a dog to the towing eye... memories of MAD Max and several other films

M

Thanks everyone.
We have the removable towbar so we could use that (not fitted it yet so never thought of it)

Now
Any ideas for restraining the kids........?

:D

We use screw down for 3 collies with no issues at all. Also used for the girls when they were young lol, they were escape artists that would have made Colditz veterans proud. :D

Archie said:
Now
Any ideas for restraining the kids........?

:D
We just find a very very very large open space.. open the door and when their hungry they find their way home.

We have 2 spiral spikes but when the ground is rock hard they are pretty useless as you struggle to get enough force on them to start the self-digging process. A friend of ours has what I can only describe as a massive tent peg made out of a piece of steel rod, about 18 inches long with a return on the hook of about 6 inches. Once that is in the ground no dog will ever pull it up. We found something similar at Towsure, basically huge tent pegs. We put 2 in the ground facing each other with the hook doubled up, then tie our four 3 metre cushioned nylon lunge lines to it and our beagles happily lay outside watching the world go by.

Ours lives in a pop up tent when we are camping; she tends to stay in it even with the doir wide open. Occasionally tie her to something (including the van) with her lead but its rare.

gatvol said:
I would never attach a dog to the back of a vehicle

Nor would I - we tie ours to the wheels... ;) :lol:

Re: Securing dogs "on a lead" on camp sites

gatvol said:
I would never attach a dog to the back of a vehicle

Is the back of the Cali not good then ??
The wheel the side bars the front aren't they just the same ... ??

I personally don't tie mine up ,as they are so well trained like MOD K-9's ..:)

Hi all
We collected our van a few days ago and have only had Archie the yellow lab puppy for 6 months so have yet to do the camping and dog combination (and kids!)
Any tips for securing him outside when we are parked up on campsites? Most sites seem to want them on leads.
We've also thought of forming a "compound" with wind breaks around the awning, does anyone else do it and does this work in practice?

We travel with 6 dogs; however, none the size of a full grown Lab. Now is the time to teach your puppy manners, because a fill grown Lab can easily pull the spiral stake out. We tether two to a spiral stake and it works fine. AND if a Lab can pull a spiral stake out, awning surrounds won't stand a charge.

We put our lab on a long lead and loop one end through the hook at the front of the floor rails, he's 6 stone so wouldn't risk a spiral one!

We travel with 6 dogs; however, none the size of a full grown Lab. Now is the time to teach your puppy manners, because a fill grown Lab can easily pull the spiral stake out. We tether two to a spiral stake and it works fine. AND if a Lab can pull a spiral stake out, awning surrounds won't stand a charge.
And you're going to teach a puppy not to go bonkers when somebody walks past the pitch ? Good luck with that !

Last edited:
We got a spiral that goes in the ground but i use it rarely as she ( my doggie) keeps walking arround and the cord winding arround seats and table...
I just keep an eye on here and usualy try to pick a spot away from other campers.
And walking the dog can help ....afther a few hours hiking she will not bother anyone passing....she will be in a deep sleep in her favorit spot (rear seat:D)

20150916_105021.jpg
And you're going to teach a puppy not to go bonkers when somebody walks past the pitch ? Good luck with that !
After 47yrs of dog training, puppyhood is where one starts. And for me, training starts at 3mos of age. Come, sit and stay. Walking on a lead without pulling. Takes about 3 weeks, 15 min twice a day on average; gun dog breeds increase to 2 months basic training. It all depends on how one wants to train, nowadays I find many owners enjoying giving their dogs a choice so as not to hurt their feelings. So, yes, then I would agree with your above statement. No argument there. Their choice, their struggles on a campsite pitch filled with strangers who (1) might not like dogs period, and (2) children who are frighten to death of dogs. I only endeavour to make my 6 well behaved wherever we go on holiday.

I've tried tying Max to the wheels but he just drags the Cali behind him :( I now park close to the toilet block but he's pulled two of them down this year :shocked

Seriously, I was going to get him his own awning but he complained that he was too old for a pup tent :D

Sorry,

It's one of those mornings ..... Neurologist dragging me back in for further poking around .... :(

I'll try and behave and be serious .... honest .....

For general tethering at stops (including short ones eg lunch) we clip a long tether lead to the seat belt anchor point on the floor behind the driver's seat (UK RHD vehicle). This is done by means of a small karabiner-type shackle that I keep permanently clipped there for that purpose.

Obviously only useful when the sliding door is open, but she doesn't usually stay outside in the rain anyway.

We also have a spiral ground spike for tethering slightly away from the van when the circumstances permit (and especially when we have stuff on the table - Betty goes beyond any verbal reasoning when there's cheese about).

We do attach her to the back of the vehicle when she's muddy and we don't want her climbing in the van. We usually only do that when the van is stationary. :D

I use a spiral stake (or two) and have had no issues with my girls pulling them out or getting tangled. My parents use a large Windbreak Leisure enclosure around their touring caravan and I have seen many of these on campers/motorhomes too, though I haven't found the need to borrow it yet. The enclosure does give much greater freedom for dogs to wander about and find their own space for play/sleep etc. It's a lot to take with you and put up if you don't need it though! IMG_4421.jpg

Hi all

So :D

Now we have all replied to your 3 y-old post....

how is Archie, the 6 month old pup now 3 1/2 years old :D

Does he enjoy being a Cali doggie? Has he pulled any trees out yet? :shocked

View attachment 15129
As the originator of this thread I can say that it's ok being on a lead / spike, but I do wish my dad wouldn't fix me on the wrong side of the awning when they are having their tea!
Love Archie
Ps I'm a big boy now!

You beat me too it!

I was going to ask for a pic but you posted a minute before me :D

Back