Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Securing dogs "on a lead" on camp sites

He loves camping life, likes nothing better than running with the bikes or a swim in the sea while we are body boarding then crashing out on the grass all afternoon, only waking up to bark at men with beards wearing shorts! He is ok with everyone else usually, just beards and shorts.....
Doesn't pull any trees out just eats em one stick at a time.
There is a bit more space between the end of the bed and the front seats in the beach than there was in our old SE, so he has decided he quite likes sleeping there if we have had the heater on! Otherwise he shares the tent with the kids which they love and he puts up with - he tells me they fart and snore apparently
:D:D:D

@GrannyJen , nothing wrong digging up a three year old tread , better than starting all over again in a new post.;)
We should do this more often!

@GrannyJen , nothing wrong digging up a three year old tread , better than starting all over again in a new post.;)
We should do this more often!

I never said there was anything wrong with it... I am more interested in how Archie had got on with his camping life ;)

Had an incident this weekend on a lovely CL where a dog was 'told off' by another. The owners of a collie had felt the need to pick up their dogs food as the other dog had repeatedly (off lead) popped into their van and at one point growled at their dog when she tried to get back in. Having been conscious their dog had lost access to it's food bowl, they had picked it up. Then on offering their dog a treat in replacement, the other dog appeared and their dog chased it off (lots of noise, squealing and dog scurrying away).
Not a nice situation for all involved but it would help if when the sites say 'dogs must be kept on lead' that owners do actually do that...

Corkscrew spikes and bungees with carabenas (sp?) for our two.

They used to bark at everyone that went by but after a year of camping they seem to have grown out of it. The busier the location the less they seem to bark.

Had an incident this weekend on a lovely CL where a dog was 'told off' by another. The owners of a collie had felt the need to pick up their dogs food as the other dog had repeatedly (off lead) popped into their van and at one point growled at their dog when she tried to get back in. Having been conscious their dog had lost access to it's food bowl, they had picked it up. Then on offering their dog a treat in replacement, the other dog appeared and their dog chased it off (lots of noise, squealing and dog scurrying away).
Not a nice situation for all involved but it would help if when the sites say 'dogs must be kept on lead' that owners do actually do that...

Did anyone report it to the site wardens?

Dogs often have disagreements and sort things out themselves if we let them its difficult when other peoples dogs are involved. Most of the time its nothing to worry about.

We see this a lot in our local parks. My view has always been if you don't have good recall a dog shouldn't really be off lead.

We wouldn't dream of ours roaming free on a site. Sadly our Cocker Honey is reactive because she is terrified (bad experience/attack when young means she thinks all dogs are a threat) and if a dog came into her space like that it wouldn't be pretty, she snaps and snarls to scare them away. Sadly that's why we have to lead honey all the time on walks unless we are certain we are alone. She actually has superb recall but other dogs we can't rely on and most incidents are a result of people just letting their dogs do what they want. Sadly I also find many owners who let poor recall dogs roam would not consider it their fault if they run upto Honey (in her dayglow warning coat) and she snaps at them.

I had a similar situation just yesterday, she had a coat saying No Dogs, a lead with Nervous Dog on it and a dog walker was happy not to put the lead on his dog, and let it wander up to her. I asked him to keep it away, he just kept saying my dog is friendly and no threat. I had to quickly take her away some people just don't get dogs I guess. She was growling the whole time, fortunately his dog seemed to understand more than he did.

Did anyone report it to the site wardens?.
This was a CL with only 5 pitches - and the site owner was happy for the dogs to be off lead as long as the dog owners were happy. But it just shows that even on campsites dogs can be territorial around vans / food. Fortunately all was ok but was a scary moment for dogs and owners.

It can sometimes just be dogs trying to assert themselves and decide the pecking order.

Rudy came from the same owner as Honey but he reacted to the experiences in a very different way. Instead of being scared he always tells other dogs off when first meeting them. A local trainer says he is basically saying I won't be bullied, I'm the boss.

Its far easier to manage because once he has done his weird woof at them, they become friends. Honey just wants them all to stay away. Sadly makes camping less fun having to be ever alert :( not really the dream I had of camper holidays with dogs. :(

And even less fun for those of us that don't have or like them very much!
I find a small percentage of dog owners can be insensitive or dare I say it ignorant towards other campers.
Obviously this isn't aimed at anyone in particular but it's something I've noticed over the years. My wife is scared of most dogs so it annoys me when you can't even walk to your pitch without dogs barking and running towards you, even if leashed.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

It can sometimes just be dogs trying to assert themselves and decide the pecking order.

Rudy came from the same owner as Honey but he reacted to the experiences in a very different way. Instead of being scared he always tells other dogs off when first meeting them. A local trainer says he is basically saying I won't be bullied, I'm the boss.

Its far easier to manage because once he has done his weird woof at them, they become friends. Honey just wants them all to stay away. Sadly makes camping less fun having to be ever alert :( not really the dream I had of camper holidays with dogs. :(

Totally agree Matt!
I have four
terriers and I keep them on lead when they are all together because they have a 'pack' instinct and if one goes, they all go! Individually they are fine.
However it really winds me up when people with no control over their dogs at all let them off and they come straight for us. Mine react as you would expect and yet we are the ones they blame! Huh??? I really don't want to find myself in the middle of a dog fight and have witnessed the damage that such fights can do at agility shows where my pet hate is people who surround their caravans with orange plastic mesh fencing and let their dogs fling themselves at everything walking past. Not good for the nerves!
As for people who think blowing one of those high pitched whistles incessantly will miraculously bring their dog back...:headbang

It will only bring them back if they are trained to come back to it ;)

Absolutely!
I made me sad reading my post to you because my four terriers are now three. I had to say goodbye to my old one Robbie yesterday as he lost the use of his back legs. He was 14 years 8 months old and was so very special to me. Devastated.

I had to say goodbye to my old one Robbie yesterday as he lost the use of his back legs. He was 14 years 8 months old and was so very special to me. Devastated.

So sorry to hear Gillian. Non-pet people don't always get how much these scruffy hairy mutts mean to us. I'm sure you'll be left with fond doggy memories though.

Absolutely!
I made me sad reading my post to you because my four terriers are now three. I had to say goodbye to my old one Robbie yesterday as he lost the use of his back legs. He was 14 years 8 months old and was so very special to me. Devastated.
Oh no, that is awful to hear. No matter how old, it's always a sad moment saying good bye. Take care.

Thank you for your kind comments. Very hard but glad he is running free now. You are right, they are part of the family. Robbie was my first agility dog, my first Border Terrier and my sons grew up with him. He went to Crufts in the Young Kennel Club, came with us in previous campers and had a great life. Feeling sad but he had a good life and a good death. I'm sorry that he never managed a trip in the Cali with me but the others will make up for it. X

image.jpeg
So sorry to hear of your loss, we have two borders and couldn't dream of having nicer dogs.

Thank you for your kind comments. Very hard but glad he is running free now. You are right, they are part of the family. Robbie was my first agility dog, my first Border Terrier and my sons grew up with him. He went to Crufts in the Young Kennel Club, came with us in previous campers and had a great life. Feeling sad but he had a good life and a good death. I'm sorry that he never managed a trip in the Cali with me but the others will make up for it. X

Gillian,

I'm glad he's crossed the bridge safely. He will be in his own little corner of doggie heaven now, running free.

They leave such a hole don't they :) Nothing prepares for it, but the happy memories bless us afterwards as did their furry little presence before.

Big hugs ..

Jen

Back