Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seikel "lift' kits

R

RobdeBear

VIP Member
Has anyone experience of fitting/using the Seikel suspension lift kits and/or any idea which version would be suitable for an '06 4Motion SE?

http://www.seikel.de/en/products/seikel ... l-my-2010/

I've read the recent thread contributions on lowering the 4Motion by 30mm and although I appreciate that even though the lower arms are the lowest part of the vehicle and are not affected by lower springs, the vehicle body 'is' lowered and therefore more likely to come into contact with the deck when negotiating rutted farm tracks, potholes and muddy camping sites.

I'm interested in the underbody protection offered by Seikel as well. Planning a long trip to Iceland sometime in the next couple of years and this would be invaluable there.
Does anyone else do underbody protection, the Seikel stuff looks good but is very expensive for what is basically a shaped bit of metal plate.

Re: Seikel "lift' kits

The company does seem to have a good rep in Europe and even though the products aren't cheap I don't think you would be disappointed ...
It would be good to see a t5 in the flesh with all their kit on it ,so to have a nose around it :)

I have had them fitted for almost three years as I go off road often and not only are they well made but a much better ride is also a plus.

Emphasis on DIY, if you've any confidence & or mech skills you won't have any probs. My difficulty rating 3/10
Here's a lay out of handy tools, namely the breaker bar with 21mm, 18mm ratchet spanner & impact guns ( to speed up the process, not to rattle the crap outa bolts!)
Haha yes as always few bolts left over;) because Seikel supply all new bolts.

Hi,

I recommend have a look to this post. It is in Spanish, but even if you cannot undertand Spanish pictures will provide interesting information. Hi makes his own skidpads and install Seikel springs.

This guy is a mech teacher in a public school, and show how to save a bounch of money (providing you are skilled enough)

On the beggining he show how he made some fornitures.

http://www.furgovw.org/index.php?topic=246799.0

I'm sorry, by skidpads I mean skidsplates

Just had seikel suspension fitted plus bigger tyres to a 2011 California, very impressed with seikel service, fitting was about 7 hrs including re calibrate speedo and full alignment, geometry is completely different to standard, I now have I printout if I ever need to have it checked again.

Interesting!

Where did you fitted then?
Were prices OK compared with the ones at Seikel web page?
which kit did you fitted?
which tyres?
(I know, I know..... too meny questions lol)

I live partly in Devon and Alps so I had it fitted in Frankfurt on my way back, the English dealers didn't sound very sure of how to fit it! Prices were as on website plus couple of bolts and steering arms as rusty. They have there own Lazer alignment so everything went very smoothly, Susanne Seikel speaks good English and is very helpful. Tyres are 235/65/17 General Graber AT quiet on road but much better on rough roads.

Kit is decided by VIN no, and I chose Bilstein shocks.

No better place to do it.

Aside VIN number, I think you can choose between two or three models depending of the weight you expect to load.

Let's see when my brand new Cali were delivered whether I go Frankfurt to fit them... I think it's the best option, but it worth do it if seize a travel to Germany.

That is how you mod a Cali IMO.
None of this huge wheel/lowering nonsense ;)

KernowLad said:
That is how you mod a Cali IMO.
None of this huge wheel/lowering nonsense ;)

How about huge wheel/raising nonsense?

I enclose some pics of both off road and lowered. Is it large wheels that upset you or the height of the suspension?

Get air suspension then you can put the suspension any place you want and get some tiny wheels I presume that then will be OK?

I personally like ginormous wheels and air suspension when I am going off road I like the same size wheels as a range rover and the ability to raise the suspension.

Best Curtis

philippo said:
@Curtis:

Are there any decent off-road tyres availible for those wheels?

Gr.Ron
The Netherlands

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D for winter or Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 which IMO are the best for off road. Pirelli P Zeros general usage.

Best Curtis

Okay, i see. :eek:
I think I need them to be a little more off-road orientated.
I don,t have the Seikel winch to pull me out.

Gr.Ron

The winch option is interesting until you look at the fitting. Apart from removing all of the front of the van you have to cut out the engine front strut! :shocked

Screen Shot .jpg

LOL I think I stick with my 235/70/16 All-Terain tyres.
They brought me home for the last ten years.
I don,t like to saw a piece of chassis out :crazy

Gr.Ron

Back