Sell a factory tow bar?

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Looks like I might be buying a new 6.1 that has a lockable / removable tow bar that I can’t think of a good use for, but can’t deselect. As it’s removable I’m thinking of trying to sell it. Is this done? Or, is it unlikely to sell? If it is sellable, what is a reasonable sale price for this totally new and unused item?

To be honest the biggest cost of a tow bar is the installation (electrics etc). So not sure how much value there is in the tow bar itself. Not a lot is my guess. But someone will want it.

Looks like I might be buying a new 6.1 that has a lockable / removable tow bar that I can’t think of a good use for, but can’t deselect. As it’s removable I’m thinking of trying to sell it. Is this done? Or, is it unlikely to sell? If it is sellable, what is a reasonable sale price for this totally new and unused item?
Only the attachment "bar" is removable. The main structure is fixed. Lots of uses for the tow bar including a bike carrier, or trailer. Would have preferred one on my Ocean

I’m not sure who would want the removable part only. And since it’s removable, you might as well stick it int he attic and keep it. Will make the van easier to re-sell. And you might find a good use for it as mentioned above.

To take the unit off you will need the bumper cross member that is removed during installation, my guess is you won't have this with a factory fit, so you cannot sell your towbar without compromising the back end of your van

To be honest the biggest cost of a tow bar is the installation (electrics etc). So not sure how much value there is in the tow bar itself. Not a lot is my guess. But someone will want it.
I'd keep it with the van - option worth about £800 in total (when new), or is a problem for the next owner to solve if sold without it. It sits in a box behind the bench seat with other towing etc gubbins, so you won't know it's there.
If you don't want to tow anything or carry bikes, you might decide you need more space and buy a box for it. Can't be worth selling it (probably for under £100) and compromising yours and the next owners options...

For me, I think that if I leave it in place I’ll just be constantly bashing my shins! So, I will remove it. So, does it then take up room in the back behind the seat? Does it take up more room than the jack box that currently sits in behind me T5.1? 66Tim99 are you suggesting putting it in a box and taking it out of the van to save space in the boot? I’d prefer storing it in the garage to save space in the van.
Thanks for all your comments guys.

Definitely worth keeping and as others have said, you would only be able to sell the detachable part anyway unless you had the original cross member which is unlikely with a factory fit towbar.

It will add value when you come to sell the van.

And you can use it to attach a bike carrier or even a storage box to increase what you want to carry around with you.

For me, I think that if I leave it in place I’ll just be constantly bashing my shins! So, I will remove it. So, does it then take up room in the back behind the seat? Does it take up more room than the jack box that currently sits in behind me T5.1? 66Tim99 are you suggesting putting it in a box and taking it out of the van to save space in the boot? I’d prefer storing it in the garage to save space in the van.
It fits in the jack/wheel brace box that attaches to the rear bench.
You could leave it at home to save a small amount of weight, but it won't free up any significant storage space. So I would store it where it is meant to be kept and forget about it.

It fits in the jack/wheel brace box that attaches to the rear bench.
You could leave it at home to save a small amount of weight, but it won't free up any significant storage space. So I would store it where it is meant to be kept and forget about it.
So, doesn’t actually take up more space in the rear storage area compared to those vehicles that don’t have a tow bar? This is good news. My only use might be to attach it for if I get stuck in mud somewhere.

We don’t want to tow anything and my wife doesn’t like cycling. Does anyone have any other novel uses? I guess it might offer protection in car parks?

So, doesn’t actually take up more space in the rear storage area compared to those vehicles that don’t have a tow bar? This is good news. My only use might be to attach it for if I get stuck in mud somewhere.

We don’t want to tow anything and my wife doesn’t like cycling. Does anyone have any other novel uses? I guess it might offer protection in car parks?
Makes the van easier to sell as it’s a must-have for many and expensive to retrofit.

It can protect your bumper for minor hits but can have the opposite effect in the case of more major crash and can cause major structural damage to the car as it will absorb the impact preventing the bumper from being able to do its job.

You can also add a back box to the towbar for extra storage

Apropos of this, I’m planning to try to source a hitch mounted boot brush for mine. Not sure they exist but they definitely should!

Apropos of this, I’m planning to try to source a hitch mounted boot brush for mine. Not sure they exist but they definitely should!
Now that's a business idea right there !

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Not sure if it takes up any more room than a van without the tow bar as I only have experience of ours with the towbar.

In our van, there is a polystyrene like rectangular unit at the base of the sliding rear bench seat which hooks into a couple of locating lugs and is held in place with two thumb screws.
It is in two halves and is held together with velcro straps.
From memory, inside it are moulded spaces to house the jack, wheel brace, towing eyelet and the detachable part of the towbar. And possibly some other bits and pieces that I have forgotten about!!

I guess the polystyrene case could be smaller for vans without the towbar, or the other bits and pieces could be located elsewhere.

Makes the van easier to sell as it’s a must-have for many and expensive to retrofit.

It can protect your bumper for minor hits but can have the opposite effect in the case of more major crash and can cause major structural damage to the car as it will absorb the impact preventing the bumper from being able to do its job.
Just like any other impact on the rear, when the standard bash bar gets pushed in, and thus also the rear structural end of the vehicle.

I have a fixed towbar (original Westfalia) mounted, and I have never regretted it.

I can understand the OP doesn't need it, but when it's there, just leave it there, and put the detachable hook in the forseen space in the box behind the rear bench seat. It doesn't take up extra space.

It’s very easy to remove and store in the box behind the bench seat. There is a towing eye in the box too, and a panel-removal tool to enable its fitment through the front bumper. As you say, the towbar could be useful for a tow from the rear.
You could save a little space by removing the box entirely but it’s not a significant amount and you’d then lose these other essential tools.
You might need some extra storage occasionally and you’d have an option.
IMG_0192.jpeg

I Leave it fitted, it stops people nudge parking and scuffing the bumper. Also, with a tow bar fitted you don’t have the towing eye fitting, as you say, to get towed rearward you’ll need the tow bar.