Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow Bar...

MiniPalethorpe

MiniPalethorpe

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
(I think) we’ve decided we need a tow bar on our new van but are currently undecided on fixed, detachable or even just tow bar prep. We would be using it for a bike rack and potentially in the future to move our 14ft dingy around (have road trailer but boat stays at sailing club at the moment). Anyone have any experience of these options? I like the practicality of detachable but it just sounds ‘wrong’ to have a piece of kit that needs to take a hell of a load be removable.

[RSVP=26462]Click here to RSVP[/RSVP]

I've got a fixed tow bar mainly for a cycle carrier. Advantage of having a permanent fixture is handy to stand on when checking the roof and damage limitation from parking/ rear nudges. Definitely get pre wiring at the very least.
If you search "tow bar" there are lots of discussions regarding options and best options for cycle carriers.

If you check the VW factory fitted towbar specs. you will see that the fixed one has a higher towing/load capacity.
Fits your thinking on the issue.

The fixed one with a flange type bolt on towball also gives the option to fit a spacer to distance the ball from the tailgate opening arc, can be useful with some trailers and bike carriers.

The detachable one stores in the jack box on the back of the rear seat, a chore to get out and store. With hindsight I'd have a fixed one rather than the detachable version.

There is no choice imo. Just get the westfalia swan neck detachable with 13 pin electrics which will cost about £600+vat including VW electrics and software coding of the vehicle. This is exactly the same bar as the fitted original VW.

(I think) we’ve decided we need a tow bar on our new van but are currently undecided on fixed, detachable or even just tow bar prep. We would be using it for a bike rack and potentially in the future to move our 14ft dingy around (have road trailer but boat stays at sailing club at the moment). Anyone have any experience of these options? I like the practicality of detachable but it just sounds ‘wrong’ to have a piece of kit that needs to take a hell of a load be removable.
The Detacheable Westfalia towers have been around for many years and are used as Original Equipment on many vehicle types/makes. Never heard of one failing if fitted correctly.
As a minimum get the " Towbar Prep " Option on your order.

I would also go for the detachable. A tow bar confuses the reversing sensors, but is fine with a camera.
They are as rigid as a fixed one, but when taken off it's one less thing to bang your shins on in the dark. Westfalia have been making & fitting them to VWs for years and like @WelshGas I've never heard of any failing.

I have a removable tow bar. More than capable of dealing with anything that is within the California limits.

When detached it lives in the parked up trailer that can go nowhere without it or the towing vehicle.

I would also go for the detachable. A tow bar confuses the reversing sensors, but is fine with a camera.
They are as rigid as a fixed one, but when taken off it's one less thing to bang your shins on in the dark. Westfalia have been making & fitting them to VWs for years and like @WelshGas I've never heard of any failing.
When the parking sensors are confused with a fixed bar, this is usually down to the wiring not being correct.

If the right VW wiring is installed and the computer coded accordingly, the rear sensors are adjusted to accommodate the hitch sticking out from under the bumper and will not sense it.

Alan

Last edited:
I´ve got the removable one.
It´s never been removed, next time i would get the fixed one.
People tend not to park too close to the rear end with a tow bar in place.

When the parking sensors are confused with a fixed bar, this is usually down to the wiring not being correct.

If the right VW wiring is installed and the computer coded accordingly, the rear sensors are adjusted to accommodate the hitch sticking out from under the bumper and will not sense it.

Alan
Agreed. We never remove our detachable towbar. No issues with parking sensors.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Add the removable one to your order. There is absolutely no point in trying to save a few quid by getting the tow bar prep and either fitting the tow bar yourself or getting a third-party to install it.

I got the tow bar prep and installed the Westfalia detachable (see this thread). It's a very good bit of kit that has been around for many years and will very obviously do the job. I regretted not adding the tow bar to my original order though - the savings for DIY weren't worth it and I doubt if there would be any savings over the factory price if you do tow bar prep and third-party install.

I have the detachable but never remove it for bumper protection as stated previously (I work in a hospital and people don't seem so good at parking here!) - should've just bought a fixed one.

I've got a fixed tow bar mainly for a cycle carrier. Advantage of having a permanent fixture is handy to stand on when checking the roof and damage limitation from parking/ rear nudges. Definitely get pre wiring at the very least.
If you search "tow bar" there are lots of discussions regarding options and best options for cycle carriers.
I agree, the pre wiring is a must. I fitted an after market one and routing the wiring was an absolute pain! I’ve a detachable one which stayed permanently on!

Alko (caravan) tow hitches need minimum clearance between tow ball and bumper to avoid hitting bumper. I have removable ball and even with the minimum clearance the towing hitch pushes into bumper on full lock. Old fashioned two bolt ball avoids this. Ordinary trailer hitches are usually smaller and avoid contact with bumper.

We paid VW van dealer to fit a removal tow bar as we have a pre-registered van. We investigated getting one fitted elsewhere but advised that we would need to go to VW to get computer fix for stop start system.

It is very easy to remove tow ball and refit.

Works well, towing caravan no problem, but maybe it depends on your caravan and where you need manoeuvre it. I have in the past damaged the car bumper on which we have a non removal tow bar. We fitted a plate between the bumper and the tow bar after that. I have the bruises from walking into the tow ball so prefer a removal one.

You may need to look at what type of bike rack you want; fit to tow ball or bolted to fixing.

I believe in France you must have a removal tow bar.

Vw factory fit detachable Towbar by far the best option
Back doors are not meant for hanging bikes on
No wiring issues with Vw product
Almost as cheap as a retrofit by towbar suppliers
100% sage. Had detach tow bars for years on different cars. No probs
Saves wife bashing her legs on fixed towbar

Get a detachable.
I prefer the look of the van without towbar and install when needed. Takes 5 seconds to install and remove.
Never had one fail, they are very well made from what I’ve seen. If ordering new, I would spec one from VW.
I store mine in the garage when not in use

Get a detachable.
I prefer the look of the van without towbar and install when needed. Takes 5 seconds to install and remove.
Never had one fail, they are very well made from what I’ve seen. If ordering new, I would spec one from VW.
I store mine in the garage when not in use

If the tow bar is supplied by Vw or has Vw factory fit towbar fit it has a designated storage position in the vac formed tool/ jack storage box
Also the wiring is pre installed from the engine battery avoiding removing all the inside trim to route the cable... a long and messy expensive job

When I brought my Caravelle which was used I asked the dealer to fit a detachable one. It was about £800 because they had to run the wiring in from the front of the vehicle to the back. If the used vehicle had tow bar prep it would have been a lot cheaper. I have never detached my toe at. Initially I used it for a bike rack but I cannot open the tailgate without it hitting the bike rack. Now I use it to tow a horse box and a fixed one would be better as I could fit a plate to protect the rear bumper. The reversing camera helps though.

Regards
Pete

Don't assume that a dealer fitted towbar will be wired correctly!
When I got my 2 year old van, with factory wiring and a dealer fitted tow bar (from new) the socket was incorrectly wired.
Luckily I checked in advance of needing to tow.

I have heard of 'non standard' type Towbars being fitted and it looks fine until you try to get the spare out and you can't because the Towbars support structure is in the way. Go for the Westfalia, well worth the money.