Senior moments

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Its a b****r getting old.

Now that I've rebuilt the garage the Cali lives inside.
Twice now I have forgotten to unplug the mains lead so decided to give myself a memory jog before driving out with it still attached. :oops: When it was parked outside it was pretty obvious but now it's hidden away in a back corner.

Anyone else done similar daft things?

I had a similar system with a car that needed its battery charging all the time one winter . Stopped me from dragging the battery charger down the road:thumb
If the Cali is on hook up I tie a length of string onto the steering wheel.

I use a bit of bright yellow Velcro. It is kept in the little coin pocket under the air vent so when we connect the cable the Velcro goes around the steering wheel as a visual reminder.

I use a bit of bright yellow Velcro. It is kept in the little coin pocket under the air vent so when we connect the cable the Velcro goes around the steering wheel as a visual reminder.

Snap! Except mine is bright pink. Great minds and all that.

Actually, a mark of maturity and life experience is the acquired sense to create these little strategies, so we don't then have to remember the small stuff and can instead use our highly-developed brains for much greater things... :rolleyes:

We're in our early 30s so not that senior yet, but has happened to us too (well, specifically to my wife ;)).

I heard the massive cracking noise of plastic as she pulled out of the drive. I was pleased when I found the lead plug had sacrificed itself by snapping in two and even more pleased when I found it seemed to be designed with this in mind and could be reassembled with relatively little effort.

I now drape something over the steering wheel as a reminder that we're plugged in. The warning bong that it makes when charging on hookup and you start the engine is a strong warning about driving off, but wife's excuse was that in her rush she thought it was the parking sensors. I believe it only bongs only when there is power, so I concur that the manual reminder is a good idea!

I use my wing mirrors.

If I see an orange cable with a battered end plug on it trailing behind me then I know that I had forgotten to disconnect and need to stop and close the hook-up cover in case it gets bent! :shocked

Oh! Here comes the Amazon van delivering another cable .... such a nice man, Mr Amazon....

Glad to hear others have this concern too.
I positoned the main socket that I use to connect the ehu on the car port wall we park the Cali against, at window height just above the NS mirror, so the bright yellow cable is visible when you get in. Still paranoid though!

I don't have a problem with the cable at home simply because the Cali is parked right in front of the house and I can't miss it.

I did, however, find myself forgetting to turn off the gas before driving away when camping or in a layby (my daughter says she doesn't do this in her campervan - I try not to think aboout that). Solved that with the notebook I keep in the van to jot down stuff like 'top up water' or 'replace tins used' - in the back I wrote GAS in large red letters and I leave it in front of the instruments.
And the day I don't notice the EHU cable when I'm turning off the gas is the day I give up driving!

Oh, the joys to come......:thumb

Always leave a post it on the seat and instrument console because I don't trust myself!

I have a piece of card with MAINS LEAD written on it, it fits in the dash display and covers all the dials, its worked so far.
Did I mention the rear parcel shelf from my car which is black, the car roof is also black , there lies the problem !
I took out the parcel shelve to fill the boot, the garage floor is dirty so i put the shelve on the roof :headbang
left the car overnight and proceeded to set off for work the next morning.
You can probably guess the rest!
I re -traced my route to work and found what was left of my parcel shelve propped up again a field fence 200 yards form home.
Still can't work out how a new shelf can cost 350 pounds :headbang
I have not done it since:(

PS Briwy
Whats under the cover ?

We have just returned from a few days away in Spain. Flew down from Bristol and on our return I found the car drivers window was covered in plastic.

Initial thoughts were that it had been broken into. Nothing was missing and there was no broken glass about. Then realised I had left the window down after taking the ticket from the machine. A considerate parking attended had covered the open window in an attempt to stop the alarm which must have been going off for days.

I did stop at the help desk on the way out and thank the staff.

Alan

Nice people in Bristol

Mike

A considerate parking attended had covered the open window in an attempt to stop the alarm which must have been going off for days.
Probably to stop the draught whilst he made a cup of tea and had a lie down.:)

[QUOTE="

PS Briwy
Whats under the cover ?

Depends what I'm working on. One of these two.

At the moment it's the B.
[/QUOTE]
Nice.....

I had a Midget from new in 1978 in Russet Brown....and for the last 22 years have owned one of the last MGB Roadsters made, I bought it with zero miles on the clock, been on stands with wheels off since 2009....

:thumb Oh very nice! Looks like you put in a serious amount of work there.
it's always intriguing to me when I see something tucked away under a cover.
We watched "The Bridge" a Swedish detective series last year on BBC 4 , the main character drove a green Porsche 912 , I've had a hankering for one ever since but so far had no luck in finding anything remotely solid .
:(

Probably to stop the draught whilst he made a cup of tea and had a lie down.:)
He would have found that difficult. We used the Saab 93 cabriolet, leaving the van locked up in the garage.

Alan

Back