Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SERVICE POINTS

Jubilado Tim

Jubilado Tim

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have just returned from a fantastic 5 week trip through France and into Italy. Again I was reminded just how switched on the French are to managing the logistics of campervans/motorhomes, in particular the provision of Service Points where you can empty brown and grey waste and fill up with drinking water. These service points are numerous across France and well signed on entering villages/towns; they are frequently free of charge. This makes the whole experience of 'wild' camping so much less stressful knowing that you can empty waste easily.
My point in posting is a bit of a lament really - why oh why cannot such sites be provided in the UK; I cannot remember a time when I have found any such service point in the UK and although sometimes we have resorted to asking established campsites if we can do a 'service' for a fee, we have frequently been refused, stating that we are not members!
Does anyone have any insight as to whether the UK situation is going to change and if not, is there any one body we could lobby for change?
I am making the assumption that other wild campers are equally frustrated by the UK lack of resources.

Other than Scotland and Dartmoor I think wild camping is illegal in the UK.

I know lots of people do it, but expecting the government or local councils to provide facilities for an illegal activity is going to be a long shot.

I guess you just have to book into a pukka camp site every X days.

Are you refering to the "Aire du Camping Car" if so I guess these are just equivalent to budget campsites - often setup by the local village or town - I guess the theory is that having people stay in the Aire will use the local facilities. I have no idea why these are not popular in the UK - I guess motorhomes are just not a way of life like they are in France, Spain and Italy

What makes you think wild camping is illegal in the UK? If it was wouldn't that make every truck driver who slept in his truck on a layby or other roadside parking be committing an offence?

Strictly speaking, "wild camping" (as far as Scotland is concerned anyway) is in a tent away from the road, not in a campervan or motorhome, so other that Dartmoor (I say "other than" because I don't know the true status there) I don't think it's legal to camp in a campervan anywhere in the UK other than on private land with the owner's consent (i.e. campsites etc..).

What makes you think wild camping is illegal in the UK? If it was wouldn't that make every truck driver who slept in his truck on a layby or other roadside parking be committing an offence?
A quick Google suggests it might be to do with the primary purpose of the vehicle; a HGV tractor unit is first and foremost intended for the haulage of trailers containing goods. Any campervan has been designed specifically for the main purpose of sleeping in/camping?

I know lots of people do it, but expecting the government or local councils to provide facilities for an illegal activity is going to be a long shot.

I guess you just have to book into a pukka camp site every X days.

Are you refering to the "Aire du Camping Car" if so I guess these are just equivalent to budget campsites - often setup by the local village or town - I guess the theory is that having people stay in the Aire will use the local facilities. I have no idea why these are not popular in the UK - I guess motorhomes are just not a way of life like they are in France, Spain and Italy

Thanks teeboy, appreciate your comments.
No I am not referring to the 'aires', I am referring to completely free spots to camp with services, occasionally you may pay one euro or use a 'jeton' (token) to pay but frequently the service is free.
I think you have endorsed my point, the French do permit free camping in designated spots and provide services - it just demonstrates to me that the Uk have a long way to go in this regard.Many people do not want to stay on a camp site.

Part of the problem in the UK is population density; the UK is 701 people per square mile (PPSM), a lot of that is influenced by the vast spaces in Scotland (and to a lesser extend, Wales), in England it's 1,124 PPSM, France by contrast is 313 PPSM - not much more than a quarter of the density of England.

Attitudes are partly to blame too of course, but the UK is just a densely packed and popular (!) place with quite a lot of NIMBYism going on - these are not conducive to this sort of thing.

Yes they are - but that is a different offence - rest in the HGV cab is not considered proper rest:

"Since November 1st, 2017, HGV drivers in the UK who take their regular weekly rest breaks in cabs must now take them in proper rest areas (like service areas and truck stops). Due to a lack of these, some drivers have been taking their rest in laybys, which has been deemed unsafe. Resting in laybys, on or close to public roads and on motorway slip roads, can now lead to drivers being fined and prohibited by the DVSA."

The problem for HGV drivers is that there are not enough truck stops - some are expensive and their employer might not cover the cost.

I certainly wouldn't want to park a camper in a layby frequented by HGVs as they definatly don't have toilets.

I think the problem with Wild Campervaning is that it is strictly speaking illegal to sleep in you car/van/camper/lorry on the public highway or on private land without the owners permission. Obviously if you are quiet and out of the way it would be a particularly bored policeman who would move you on.

Thanks for your reply Rockin N Rollin, I think you have hit the nail right on the head. I think that is why we love life in the Campervan so much in France, it is so much easier......and also the population density you refer to is why the roads (particularly the small D roads), are such a pleasure to drive, little traffic and no potholes!

Thanks for your reply Rockin N Rollin, I think you have hit the nail right on the head. I think that is why we love life in the Campervan so much in France, it is so much easier......and also the population density you refer to is why the roads (particularly the small D roads), are such a pleasure to drive, little traffic and no potholes!
Plus lighter traffic = less wear which helps with the pothole situation

Plus lighter traffic = less wear which helps with the pothole situation
I think the excellent roads are more to do with the Tour De France if a village applies to get a stage they have to sort the roads out.

Last edited: