Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service problem

I think it's a wise move to replace thewater pump. 28k in five years isn't a lot of mileage but seals will dry out if not used a lot and then you are into a bill for replacement.
As WG it isn't an expensive part so best to relace while it's in bits anyway.
Perhaps it's a shame they didn't get the timing further out then as Loz you would have got a new engine free.:)

Like it - next time I will ask them to mess up big time Or not at all

got the compression test results, the dealer says it proves no damage done

cylinder compression results SE 180
1. 29.1 bar
2. 32.1 bar
3. 28.7 bar
4. 31.1 bar

I understand from checking else where that VW compression range for new is 25-31 bar, difference permissible between all cylinders - 5 bar

so seems all good.

Any thoughts gratefully accepted.

dealer has put in writing the admittance of error, but fell short of agreeing to fix any further issues arising - arguing that any damage would be immediately noticeable - compression test was compromise and they say results of this proves no damage

have to say the dealer has behaved honourably - yes they messed up a crucial repair, messed up big time, it clearly shouldn't have happened - but mistakes do happen, mechanics aren't robots after all - its how you deal with it that counts and they admitted it straight away, no quibbles, took it square on the chin, when pushed did a compression test to explore possible consequences and gave me around £450 credit for my inconvenience and stress - in this day of jobsworths who take no responsibility for their mess I'm quietly impressed - its all about the individuals - i was lucky this time the service manager did VW proud

but still keen to hear any techie thoughts on results

That's a good outcome and, as you say, down to individuals taking responsibility and stepping-up. Whilst it would be better if it'd not happened, things do go wrong from time to time & it sounds like it's all sorted.

Try to forget all about it now & have fun (if it ever stops raining!)

good advice i hope its not raining in greece - next stop athens if i can persuade my 3 year old twins to forsake portugal

good advice i hope its not raining in greece - next stop athens if i can persuade my 3 year old twins to forsake portugal
Nice campsite in the centre of Athens, with a Lidl close by, and a bus stop right outside which takes you right into the central area.

I agree with the previous comments. Recently the cam belt, tensioners and water pump were changed on my 4yr old Cali. This had only done 35k and the water pump was already starting to leak around the gasket.

Back