Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service recommendations - where?

Hi there, just tagging onto this thread as I'm also in Bristol and looking for a good local garage to service our 2018 Cali. Heritage have been useless and made it impossible to have some minor repairs done within the warranty period. I'd rather not travel every year for a service as we've got young kids. Any suggestions for good Bristol garages to carry out a Cali service?
Hi, I’m in Bristol and I too am done with Heritage. Originally they told us we had 1 leisure battery on our brand new California, they replaced that battery saying it was faulty, still had issues over the year charged for diagnostics only to discover ourselves it had 2 leisure batteries … Heritage would not acknowledge their mistake despite all their invoices. Lots of other issues subsequently with them. I persevered with them for a few more years, but no improvement - just seemed to lack knowledge. Trouble is, I desperately need a reputable person to now look at the electrics for my leisure batteries, fridge and do a gas service. Did you find any good garage who understands the campervan workings of a Cali? i desperately need to find someone otherwise I’ll have no fridge for my campervan trip. Thanks for any suggestions!

Breeze Poole
Sadly, it’s just too far, need a local garage as work, have young kids etc. I need a f garage for the campervan parts, electrics and gas. Any suggestions for Bristol for the campervan parts would be gratefully received. I see someone mentioned M1 so will call them, and someone else took their Cali to Bristol caravans in Almondsbury.

I have used Bristol Caravans (Thornbury) once a while back but was not on a Cali or VW. They did a good repair on a habitation issue for me - as above not a Cali. Swindon VW Commercials have serviced my T6 from new, mo complaints. Mine is not a Cali so can't comment on how they deal with habitation servicing. They always have Cali's in the car park.

Having your California serviced in Poole is not an obvious choice as we live in a large city and it is a pity to have to drive 2 hours each way. But I trust what Breeze do and say.
When I go to Breeze we tend to make a day or two of it. Dorset is full of things to do as a family with children or as an adult. I have found a nice campsite about 4 miles from Breeze called South Lychett Manor. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...partner-breeze-poole.30168/page-4#post-540646
I ask Breeze well in advance for a loan car whilst mine is in being serviced as they need time to arrange them and we go and explore the area. Loz does the same as do a few others now. Alternatively Breeze are happy to drop you off anywhere in the area, Poole, Bournemouth, etc if you do not want a loan vehicle.
I can't remember if any of you mentioned when your MOT is but you could just bring it forward and do it early and locally in Bristol so it is due in the summer holidays in future. The weather is nicer for camping then.
When my control panel began to fail I drove down to Breeze. They did a quick test on it, the vehicle was still in Warranty and they were happy to replace it. After they had exchanged it the mechanic was not happy with how the replacement one worked and ordered another one. Bearing in mind they are about £1,000 each plus labour I was quite impressed.
It is a great shame to have to go so far for a good dealership. The other one I have tried and trust is South Hereford. @WelshGas also uses them despite living in South Wales and having closer VW dealers.
Simon

Last edited:
I have used Bristol Caravans (Thornbury) once a while back but was not on a Cali or VW. They did a good repair on a habitation issue for me - as above not a Cali. Swindon VW Commercials have serviced my T6 from new, mo complaints. Mine is not a Cali so can't comment on how they deal with habitation servicing. They always have Cali's in the car park.
Thanks for replying. I’ve called them today. The chap asked me lots of really sensible questions, showed a real interest; a new phenomenon in my Cali experience! He also gave me some advice/answered the queries I had over the phone dispelling some of the mystery around d the leisure batteries! I’ve booked it in and he said he’ll also spend time with me explaining how all the electrics work so I understand everything and can walk away knowing how to maintain the leisure batteries and all other aspects of the campervan etc. This already feels like a totally different and positive experience so fingers crossed, and only 15 mins down the road for me. I’ll update this forum after the 13th May how I got on, which other Bristol dwellers may find helpful :)

Hi, I’m in Bristol and I too am done with Heritage. Originally they told us we had 1 leisure battery on our brand new California, they replaced that battery saying it was faulty, still had issues over the year charged for diagnostics only to discover ourselves it had 2 leisure batteries … Heritage would not acknowledge their mistake despite all their invoices. Lots of other issues subsequently with them. I persevered with them for a few more years, but no improvement - just seemed to lack knowledge. Trouble is, I desperately need a reputable person to now look at the electrics for my leisure batteries, fridge and do a gas service. Did you find any good garage who understands the campervan workings of a Cali? i desperately need to find someone otherwise I’ll have no fridge for my campervan trip. Thanks for any suggestions!
Hi, sorry for delayed reply, our service went down the priority list for a while and I've only just booked it in. It looks like you got some good advice already but for a general service I've gone with a personal recommendation from another local VW converted van owner and I'm going to try Streetwise Automotive. They were very helpful over the phone and their prices seem very reasonable.

Back