Shire Cali

Shire Cali

Shire Cali

Shire Cali
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All

I'm brand new to the Cali world, took ownership 3 weeks ago, haven't had the chance to use the van yet...Rain stopped play. Does anybody have any top tips on essentials required?

Welcome.:welcome

A sense of humour is an essential.

Welcome on board ,
seems the beginning of summer has brought up a whole load of new members ....they just keep finding the way to this magnificent forum!

Don't let rain spoil your adventures...!

Sorry for my sarcasm above, couldn't resist! :D

Essentials for a short first trip probably include:
- Electric hook-up cable (if planning to stay more than 24 hours in one place - otherwise you'll manage fine on the leisure batteries). You prob only need a 15m cable in UK but may want to get a 25m straight off, or a 10 plus a 15 for flexibility. Top up the leisure batts from 240v at home, so they get a full charge before setting off.
- Camping Gaz bottle. Fit and practice with it at home.
- Levelling blocks are rarely needed but very handy when you do need them so you may as well get a pair now.
- Top-up tube/whatever for fresh water (or just fill up before you go, tank will last a good few days).
- Separate small water container if you have qualms about drinking water from the tank.
- Bedding. Tons on the forum about that - but start out with what you have at home, eg duvet and sheets or sleeping bags.
- Torch.
- Small kettle. The Outwell collapsible ones are cute and practical, if you fancy buying your van a nice present.
- Some kitchenware borrowed from your kitchen. It's quite feasible to take ordinary china, old glasses etc until you decide what fancy melamine etc you really need long term.
- Corkscrew / bottle opener.
- Plastic bucket for carrying stuff to the campsite washup point.
- Washing up liquid and a drying up towel.
- Bog roll. (I'm assuming you'll just use campsite/public loos until you're worked out your 'toileting preferences' - there are lots of options that you can enjoy researching at your leisure. But you could buy a few disposable 'bog in bags' for emergencies meanwhile).
- USB cables plus a 12v USB adapter for charging phones and stuff.
- Locking wheel nut key.
- Maybe a disposable BBQ.
- Matches in case you have an opportunity for a BBQ campfire.
- Small dust-brush for sweeping crud out of the van.
- Clothes: probably less than you think. Some kind of flip-flops / crocs (there, I've said it!) for the shower block etc.
- Towels - microfibre are great but obv. you can just take ordinary ones but they'll take longer to dry.
- Crucial: Cali manual (the one about the 'habitation equipment') as you're bound to need to refer to it first few times out. when you can't work out how to turn the gas on, etc.

And of course as much beer/wine as you can fit in the fridge. Food is optional, you can buy it on the way.

But you really really don't need very much else for your first trip. If you buy a lot of gear you'll probably end up ditching a lot of it in the end. We all use our Calis differently so just because some people regard something as vital, it may not be for you. Travel light the first couple of times and if you're forgotten anything just add it to your list for next time.

Others will certainly add to my above 'essentials' list. I will respond with 'Doh' or 'Naah'. ;)

Have a great time.

- Electric hook-up cable (if planning to stay more than 24 hours in one place - otherwise you'll manage fine on the leisure batteries). You prob only need a 15m cable in UK but may want to get a 25m straight off, or a 10 plus a 15 for flexibility. Top up the leisure batts from 240v at home, so they get a full charge before setting off.

I have to say this list is spot on. Got my Cali in April and this list is 100% correct. Especially that you'll need fewer clothes than you think etc.

Only thing to add is that I now leave some toiletries etc in the van so it's even easier to just pack a few clothes, milk & drink in the fridge and then go.

If you're planning on overnighting, someone suggested getting some large eBags (see Amazon), which go perfectly in the wardrobe. This is not a day one purchase though.

I was worried about rain (especially the pop up canvas getting wet) but it's been fine. It's lovely and cosy if it rain, being nice and warm inside hearing the rain on the roof. :thumb

Ta for this. My van is in for conversion this week, after the 3-month wait for a slot & I'm off solo the week after. Been looking for a good list. (-:

- Levelling blocks are rarely needed but very handy when you do need them so you may as well get a pair now.
- Top-up tube/whatever for fresh water (or just fill up before you go, tank will last a good few days).
- Separate small water container if you have qualms about drinking water from the tank.
- Bedding. Tons on the forum about that - but start out with what you have at home, eg duvet and sheets or sleeping bags.
- Torch.
- Small kettle. The Outwell collapsible ones are cute and practical, if you fancy buying your van a nice present.
- Some kitchenware borrowed from your kitchen. It's quite feasible to take ordinary china, old glasses etc until you decide what fancy melamine etc you really need long term.
- Bog roll. (I'm assuming you'll just use campsite/public loos until you're worked out your 'toileting preferences' - there are lots of options that you can enjoy researching at your leisure. But you could buy a few disposable 'bog in bags' for emergencies meanwhile).
- Locking wheel nut key.
- Clothes: probably less than you think. Some kind of flip-flops / crocs (there, I've said it!) for the shower block etc.
- Towels - microfibre are great but obv. you can just take ordinary ones but they'll take longer to dry.
- Crucial: Cali manual (the one about the 'habitation equipment') as you're bound to need to refer to it first few times out. when you can't work out how to turn the gas on, etc.

And of course as much beer/wine as you can fit in the fridge. Food is optional, you can buy it on the way.

But you really really don't need very much else for your first trip. If you buy a lot of gear you'll probably end up ditching a lot of it in the end. We all use our Calis differently so just because some people regard something as vital, it may not be for you. Travel light the first couple of times and if you're forgotten anything just add it to your list for next time.

Others will certainly add to my above 'essentials' list. I will respond with 'Doh' or 'Naah'. ;)

Have a great time.

- Torch.
- Locking wheel nut key.

Have a great time.

- Torch.
- Locking wheel nut key.

Have a great time.

Haha don't worry about the sarcasm, I like a good sense of humour. Thanks for the list though, really comprehensive and detailed.

Haha don't worry about the sarcasm, I like a good sense of humour. Thanks for the list though, really comprehensive and detailed

:welcome Raining? It never rains when you're in a Cali!! :)

Anyone got any suggestions on the best mattress toppers ?

Maybe try sleeping on the beds as they are at first?

We almost always sleep upstairs and have always found that fine without a supplementary mattress. On the other hand some people wouldn't do without one.

Pushing a mattress topper up through the hole to make the top bed every night would be a faff I wouldn't want, personally. But (as Mrs VD would contribute) I am profoundly lazy.

The downstairs bed is admittedly a bit bumpy but you might want to think carefully about how much bulk you want to cart around. And how much to spend - you can buy an awful lot of supermarket plonk for the price of one of those memory foam toppers, and either way you'll sleep just as well. :)