Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I buy a california?

J

Jason Owen

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi,
Im a new member too this site and looking at buying an April 2015 140se California. I've had vw campers for some years now and currently own a t4 auto sleeper trooper and was thinking its about time I got my self a nice new camper but after researching I'm unsure now. Ive loved the California from day one when it first hit the show rooms and have known about the roof issues but thought I was safe with a 2015 model it was just early ones plus my local dealer stated its all fixed now? Ive also picked up on electric side door issues (the one I've looked at got one) plus egr valve problems.

Should i let these issues stop me buying one? is it just very small numbers of California's with the problems?

Can any one advise me.

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forum.

No, don't let these issue worry you. A new van will have 3 years warranty so VW will sort them if they happen.

Enjoy the improvements a modern vehicle can bring.

Alan

With fingers and toes crossed ... October 2013 and....

My roof is unrotted and I have a dealer inspect it every time they see the vehicle

My EGR is still recirculating although I accept it has a lifetime shorter than the vehicle, hopefully

My electric door has opened and shut impeccably since new, unlike my mother in law's mouth which just jams open.

Don't do it.......
Cali owners are dull and boring!

:bananadance
Just kiddin'....
go for it , i also hesitated to long and now regreding that

Welcome.
Buy only if you want to.

But I did and would again

+1 for the above!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

There are over 7,000 members on this Forum alone, so I presume a very substantial number have Californias. How many discrete posts regarding major problems?
How many Californias have been sold in the past 10 yrs, How many T5's sold in the same period?
You're decision in the end but ALL vehicles have problems, some more than others and you only hear of problems on the Forums. Owners post if they have problems they very rarely post if they don't.
Overall, I would say the California appears less problematic than many others, but then that is my personal opinion.
Buy and Enjoy.

Hi,
Im a new member too this site and looking at buying an April 2015 140se California. I've had vw campers for some years now and currently own a t4 auto sleeper trooper and was thinking its about time I got my self a nice new camper but after researching I'm unsure now. Ive loved the California from day one when it first hit the show rooms and have known about the roof issues but thought I was safe with a 2015 model it was just early ones plus my local dealer stated its all fixed now? Ive also picked up on electric side door issues (the one I've looked at got one) plus egr valve problems.

Should i let these issues stop me buying one? is it just very small numbers of California's with the problems?

Can any one advise me.
You should know better than to ask that question here and I suspect I know what the answer is that you want to hear!

Of course you should, they are fantastic! Do it, go on!

No regrets here. Roof doing fine, a year on, and still looks and smells brand new. Summer flies are annoying, one trip out after a good thorough hand polish, covered in fly carcasses again. One disadvantage of having a white Cali. But strangly enough they dont show dust much, like the darker colours do! My advice is buy one, Id buy all over again. No regrets at all.

Obviously you were happy with the T4 trooper, we always liked the trooper too. I really cant believe you be disappointed with the t5 to drive let alone the camper bits difference to boot. We didnt hesitate when we had a lucky find 1 year old toffee brown 4motion dsg but its a dream come true after 20 years since owning my first car, a 1972 vw bug and promising myself I would one day own a vw camper. If you can afford it without sleepless nights go for the best you can find, even if its a year or so old from a vw maindealer, at least its lost the first 20% depreciation by being registered. E.g. We paid £42k for a £60k van from vw commercials derby so work it out ok.

I bought a six month old van in dec 2009 to run as our second car and for our annual holidays. 5 years on and only 25,000 miles later (although it got as far as Rome last year) and the depreciation has been minimal. So from a financial point of view it's a no brainer. Never mind the fun the family has had over the last 5 years. Buy nearly new and you'll have no regrets.

Definitely buy one. Best thing we ever did!

Roof problems??? Yes!!
Other tiny issues - yes!
Regrets?? Not one! Love my Cali!

Back