Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do I wait, or do I buy now?

Andy80F

Andy80F

VIP Member
In the process of heading towards buying a California, got the specification worked out and the finances just about sorted then someone in the Beach forum puts a slight spanner in the works giving a link to the new for 2014 brochure containing news of the "edition" editions of the Beach and Calli. Follow up by this site http://www.volkswagen-commercial-vehicles.com/en/models/california/trim_lines.html and I now think waiting will be the best option (Edition Call in Red). However the prices are not yet out and I might loose out by waiting. It's a quandary :headbang

:help
Andy80F

Hi Andy

Very interesting! Looks like a bit of a tickle before the T6 comes out in 18-24 mos. I assume you're looking at the SE as opposed to the Beach.

But what do you really get?

A very limited colour choice; some smart cosmetic uplifts; the Cascavel alloys are a £200 upgrade on the 180 and very nice, particularly on Natural Grey(!); dunno about the white cabinets, but think about scuffing etc; cruise control is standard with BlueMotion Tech; the VW comfort mattress as an extra is about £270, but then Zonesleep may be a better option as it's easier to pack, and Comfortz do one for Club members at about £85.

If you're ready now, then I think you should do it (JFDI) - check out Drive the Deal as a baseline, and do what you can on discount based on this. The lead time for the Edition may be a bit longer, but there again, VW have tended to kick off with model year spec changes after their Summer recess ends in September, and the pound is looking a bit more dodgy yet again. Depreciation on Calis is pretty sound anyway, and if you're looking to hold on to it for the longer term, it won't really make a lot of difference.

I hope this hasn't confused things further, but if it were me, I'd still do it now.

DavidS said:
and the pound is looking a bit more dodgy yet again.

Is the pound looking dodgy? we take the camper across to Europe 4-5 times a year and have the XE currency exchange rate app on my phone, I am no financial expert but a look at the the various charts shows the pound at the moment is stronger than at anytime since about May maybe even earlier by the looks of things €1 = £0.84 which is pretty good because it hit a high of £0.87 at the end of July/early August. I wasn't nit pickling by the way, just saying I am happier with the exchange rate at the moment than at anytime for a few months.

Fin

Andy80F said:
In the process of heading towards buying a California, got the specification worked out and the finances just about sorted then someone in the Beach forum puts a slight spanner in the works giving a link to the new for 2014 brochure containing news of the "edition" editions of the Beach and Calli. Follow up by this site http://www.volkswagen-commercial-vehicles.com/en/models/california/trim_lines.html and I now think waiting will be the best option (Edition Call in Red). However the prices are not yet out and I might loose out by waiting. It's a quandary :headbang

Andy80F

Hey Andy,

Where's the link over on the beach forum please?

Andy80F said:

Andy80F

I don't see anywhere where it states these will be on sale in the UK? Are you sure this is not just a generic brochure?

Not at all sure that the Special Edition will be a UK option and posts in that thread asked much the same question. I would like it to be and did go to the dealer who knew nothing about it but since he was still handing out the Jan '13 brochure (superseded by the July '13) I did get the impression dealers were not the font of knowledge they might be. From what I understand from other posts in the forum its about this time of year that VW announce the 2014 models and I still hope the Special Edition will be a reality.

Andy

Worse case scenario you lose your deposit if you order now and something "unmissable" turns up.

We had thought the VW finance a good deal but decided to self fund just so as to have the flexibility in buying quickly, good deals do not last long with regards California. However if buying new and having come to the conclusion that 5 - 7% off the price should be attainable and perhaps some of the options at cost when is the best time to approach a dealer? The end of the month, the quarter or the financial year seem to all have been mooted as the optimal time to strike a good deal. Luckily our time to buy is probably weeks away and falls at the end of the summer & holiday period which will help but timing seems key to getting the most bang for buck in new or used Cali buying. ;)

We just negotiated a price which beat Drive the Deal & ordered.

Congratulations :thumb pictures when it arrives :thumb

reserves said:
Okay. Forget the picture and write up a little masterclass on how you got that deal :D
I'm generally pretty confident but the thought of trying to haggle with an experienced salesperson leaves me cold. Looking for tips.

Andy

Choose what you are prepared to pay and be prepared to walk away!

Remember, everyone has to make a living and sometimes if something is worth having, you've got to pay for it... I would suggest not getting hung up on the last couple of % savings. If you're that worried, leave it in the bank. :p

Andy80F said:
reserves said:
Okay. Forget the picture and write up a little masterclass on how you got that deal :D
I'm generally pretty confident but the thought of trying to haggle with an experienced salesperson leaves me cold. Looking for tips.

Andy

We decided that lowest price from a VW Dealer was the target, took the Drive The Deal quote in and asked if they could beat it, we tried 3 dealers and one of them beat the deal. Not much to it.

To be fair one of the 'good & knowledgable' dealers who's name is on here often wasn't far off (£600-700 above DtD) and we didn't push him too hard, we told him we wanted a good discount and he came back with a good quote off the bat. (PM for name)

This Cali isn't unfortunately not for me but for a close friend, I'm just researcher and chief negotiator, my friend lives in Wales and he ended up getting the best quote from his local dealer so he eventually placed the order there.

Hope that helps.

reserves said:
Andy80F said:
reserves said:

Andy

We decided that lowest price from a VW Dealer was the target, took the Drive The Deal quote in and asked if they could beat it, we tried 3 dealers and one of them beat the deal. Not much to it.

To be fair one of the 'good & knowledgable' dealers who's name is on here often wasn't far off (£600-700 above DtD) and we didn't push him too hard, we told him we wanted a good discount and he came back with a good quote off the bat. (PM for name)

Excellent advice imho. There is also mileage in dealer fit parts such as roof bars, bike rack etc.

This Cali isn't unfortunately not for me but for a close friend, I'm just researcher and chief negotiator, my friend lives in Wales and he ended up getting the best quote from his local dealer so he eventually placed the order there.

Hope that helps.

So sat down with dealer, Breeze in Poole, and entered into negotiations. Short conversation mind, I'd heard about this chap being a nice fellow but sharp and with a liking for doing a deal, he offered 5% straight off, without my even asking, and then no more. Not a budge from the figure, not an offer of extras. So I brought out the Drive the Deal quote and, after a trip to the manager, the offer remained the same. No movement at all so I had to walk away.

There was some talk of the DtD being abandoned by VW, the manager having been at a meeting the day before on the subject. Don't know if thats true but I now need some recommendations for those dealers who are open to a bit of movement. I really want the 180ps following a test drive and it'll be a stretch to get there so a decent discount is vital.

Please reply if you know a dealer looking for business, no use being a VIP member with club stickers at the ready if I don't have a van.

Andy

Give Hugh a ring at smg in cowfold. 01403 581228. He may be able to offer you a better deal :thumb top dealership

Andy80F said:
There was some talk of the DtD being abandoned by VW

Absolute rubbish, go to another dealer!

If all else fails just buy from DTD!

Didn't buy our Cali from DtD as we got a reasonable price on a demonstrator, but have used DtD twice for other cars and have had entirely positive experiences - main dealers, excellent communication and customer engagement, and hassle-free. I'd use them again without hesitation.

Looks like Monday will be the big deal day, 12 - 14 weeks without a car so cycling to work. Should be a slimmer fitter me who goes to collect the van. The dotted line beckons and advice from this site was ultra valuable in knowing what to expect and feeling good when achieving it.

Andy :thumb

Back