Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I change my control panel?

J

joeaguilar

Heres my dilema - control panel if fine - works well - always works well, however, the temperature does not display the same value as that on the dashboard. The dealer said it could be the temperature sensor which sits somewhere near front bumper / wheelarch - if this gets water in it then it sends out an erroneous signal.
My dealer says it could be the display and wants to change it... if he changes it, then I am worried that I will begin to get the 'display' problems that people are reporting here. As I say, I am generally happy with the display and has not given me any problems. Does anyone know if VW have fixed this on the new replacement displays?
Any info gratefully received....
Joe

The panel is expensive, so first you should find out if this is really the panel giving wrong indication, or is it the sensor. Probably the only way to know, is to replace one of them. Panel is relatively easy to replace, however removing it is a nerve breaking exercice. Perhaps it is easier and cheaper to exchange the sensor in the first place. Unless you have an access to a spare panel to give it a try.

If it comes to panel exchange: you may always keep the current one as a hot spare, just keep it in the car, in case of any problem with panel, just swap them. I always have a spare panel in my car, I bought it second hand, it has slight display problem, but in case of major failure of my current panel I can use it as the temporary replacement.

If you are under WTY the I'd be tempted to go for the new panel. I'm not sure that is going to fix your problem but given the cost you wouldn't want to have a partially failing panel in your van when it does go out of warranty.

If this is warranty covered, then there is no dubt, go for the replacement (still try to keep the "faulty" one).
One more thing: Are you sure you compare those two values when the engine is cold? I think one sensor is on the front, the other is under the floor, in the middle of the van, the one on the front is affected by the engine warm when vehicle is stationary.

If something is replaced under warranty then the customer is not entitled to keep the old part.

Thanks

Thank you for your comments, good points made re: keeping the old panel if possible.
Alex, I don't understand where 'entitlement' comes into it... if all you do is throw the old panel away, then why not keep the customer happy and give him the panel? A small thing can go a long way to customer satisfaction. If I thought my dealer was going to follow protocol by not allowing me to keep the old panel then disposing of it, I would not use that dealer again. Simplzzzz....

If it is a warranty claim I assume the old panel will need to go back to VW ?

Parts have to be kept to go back to VW. If I were to carry out a repair under warranty and give you the old part, if VW then want the part back or carry out an audit and ask to see the part I won't get paid for the warranty claim, then the debited money would be extrapolated over the number of claims which can be an enormous sum of money.

I very much doubt that any VW dealer would let you have an old part replaced under warranty, if they do then they run a very big risk.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
Parts have to be kept to go back to VW. If I were to carry out a repair under warranty and give you the old part, if VW then want the part back or carry out an audit and ask to see the part I won't get paid for the warranty claim, then the debited money would be extrapolated over the number of claims which can be an enormous sum of money.

I very much doubt that any VW dealer would let you have an old part replaced under warranty, if they do then they run a very big risk.

cheers

I presume you do not keep the parts for endless period of time, so you can hand over a panel or other piece after a year of so ?, if this would be the gentelmen's arrangement with the client..

joeaguilar said:
Thank you for your comments, good points made re: keeping the old panel if possible.
Alex, I don't understand where 'entitlement' comes into it... if all you do is throw the old panel away, then why not keep the customer happy and give him the panel? A small thing can go a long way to customer satisfaction. If I thought my dealer was going to follow protocol by not allowing me to keep the old panel then disposing of it, I would not use that dealer again. Simplzzzz....

I personally think this is a daft comment! If I went into Curry's and took back my faulty 52" LCD TV and said to them "can you replace this for me but hey I want to keep the old one"! I think we know what the answer would be and rightly so. Why do you think VW would take a different approach?

smudger said:
joeaguilar said:

I personally think this is a daft comment! If I went into Curry's and took back my faulty 52" LCD TV and said to them "can you replace this for me but hey I want to keep the old one"! I think we know what the answer would be and rightly so. Why do you think VW would take a different approach?

Sooner or later your faulty 52" LCD would end up in the bin anyway, perhaps after the company internal protocols fulfilled, so I think if somebody is ready to make a better use of it this should be more than appreciated. In my personal opinion we are too much "trash society" nowadays.

I was a field electronics engineer up until around 2 years ago and would many a time replace a customers washing machine, cooker etc... the old unit would not be trashed, it would either go back for repair in the workshop or be used for parts. If this Joe did get the old control panel back what is to stop him getting it repaired and selling it on Ebay for ÂŁ500? This argument would be totally different if out of warranty where you would well be within your rights to ask for the old part back, but NOT a warranty claim.

smudger said:
I was a field electronics engineer up until around 2 years ago and would many a time replace a customers washing machine, cooker etc... the old unit would not be trashed, it would either go back for repair in the workshop or be used for parts. If this Joe did get the old control panel back what is to stop him getting it repaired and selling it on Ebay for ÂŁ500? This argument would be totally different if out of warranty where you would well be within your rights to ask for the old part back, but NOT a warranty claim.

If it was retail and an exchange part was fitted then the old part is sent back and a surcharge is deducted. If the customer is happy to pay the surcharge then they can have the old unit back (typically clutch, engine, gearbox, starter motor etc...)

cheers

Re: Should I change my control panel

I have your old telly I can fix it :thumb

smudger said:

I know place in Poland where they take the warranty post-replacement California panels from the VW garages in Germany and re-sell it. If this was not the case the panels would be trashed.

I bought 4 of them at the place, for 40 Euros each.
This means that they migh have a second life given, if a little bit of good will is involved.

http://allegro.pl/vw-t5-7h7-c-sterownik-panel-klimatyzacji-i2736860619.html

We are not allowed to do that here, and warranty parts are not given back to customers.

cheers

Andresz said:
smgcowfold said:
We are not allowed to do that here, and warranty parts are not given back to customers.

cheers

Lack of flexibility, that is why this happens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVuNrNuRJM0

Cheers
:laugh2

It's not lack of flexibility. This is normal practice on warranty replacement. This also enables the manufacturer to examine the failed part in order to help prevent future failures.

It's not lack of flexibility. This is normal practice on warranty replacement. This also enables the manufacturer to examine the failed part in order to help prevent future failures.

Earlier in the discussion VW representaive said that they send the parts back only if VW request so or if they have an audit going on, I would image the pieces are not stored for endless period of time.

Andresz said:

Earlier in the discussion VW representaive said that they send the parts back only if VW request so or if they have an audit going on, I would image the pieces are not stored for endless period of time.

I didn't say that :headbang

If the part is given to the customer and the part is asked to be returned or we have an audit and they ask to see the part then their will be ramifications if the part has been given back to the customer. We are not allowed to return replaced parts under warranty to the customer, no dealer is.

Thanks

I didn't say that

If the part is given to the customer and the part is asked to be returned or we have an audit and they ask to see the part then their will be ramifications if the part has been given back to the customer. We are not allowed to return replaced parts under warranty to the customer, no dealer is.

Thanks

Sorry, do not take it too seriously. I guess you are right.
However, somehow the Control Panels are ending up on second hand market. I personally saw about 25 of them in one place, I selected 4 looking absolutely new for myself. They are not from stolen, or junken cars, they are originating from VW services in Germany perhaps UK services too. I presume that out of warranty customers take the panels back with them, so they are most probably from warranty cars. Besides they were looking untouched, new.

May be VW sells on the no fault found or refurbed parts that they authorise dealers to swap. Many electrical chains sell on swaps or returns in this way as they can't describe them as new