Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should we change from Caravelle to Beach?

soulstyledevon said:
I have owned converted vans for many years now. They are great as an affordable option to the Cali. But there is so much more substance with the California which many people don't see or get, little touches here and there which makes it worth its money.

One of the best things in my view, is all the extra sound insulation which makes travelling and driving more refined and more enjoyable.
Its so well finished and so amazing versatile...!!!

One things for sure. I wont be buying another converted van again, not after owning my Cali :cool:

I don't think people understand the difference between the Multivans which the California is based upon and the standard T5 Van, there is a notable difference between the Multivan and the standard T5 which makes the California feel so different.

I can understand why people would want Cali kitchen units but you're kind of missing the point if you think putting in kitchen units and a Cali pop top makes it even Californiaish

James

Mac Of Phillack said:
I wouldn't go down this route. If you phone me on 01736756748 I will give my reasons. I did go down this route and I am regretting it. The roof leaks, the fitting is poor etc.etc.
Give me a ring if you're considering using this mode of conversion.

Is this referring to fitting a roof to a caravelle in general or were you referring to the previous comment about a cali roof?

My comment concerned using a specific company for fitting a California roof and interior to a Caravelle. I'm sure there are many capable converters out there ut the one who did my Caravelle was not one of them.

Mac Of Phillack said:
My comment concerned using a specific company for fitting a California roof and interior to a Caravelle. I'm sure there are many capable converters out there ut the one who did my Caravelle was not one of them.

Thanks, I'll be in touch if we did decide to convert then just to make sure we avoid whoever you used but think we'll go for a beach if we can get enough for our Caravelle to make the sums add up!

Is the diesel parking heater standard fit on the beach? and can the table be set up inside for meals?

The table can be set up inside by clipping it to rail on the the wall and dropping only two of the four legs. The parking heater is NOT standard but a few have started retrofitting the Webasto that VW themselves fit with good results (there's a another thread I can dig out if you can't find it), for around £1100 quid ISTR. Like the SE the Beach does have an auxiliary heater that is used to help warm the engine on cold days, but this isn't used to heat the cabin when the engine's off (The SE has two 'heaters' - parking and auxiliary).

Other things the Beach might have over the Caravelle (I don't know the Caravelle):

Camping chairs in the tailgate
Second battery
Sliding blackout screens in all windows except the drivers row
Possibly more 12V points (5 I think)
Spinny captains chairs in the front
Single sliding door
Awning

The Beach will probably feel a bit less luxurious and refined compared to the Caravalle. The Beach has a certain no frill charm.

You can spec them up but they're not a Velle with a pop top. They're based on a European LHD Multivan Startline.

In relative terms you pay more for a Beach and you are expected to pay for it's practicality and concept

James

In my opinion if you want a 'POSH' multi purpose vehicle that you can camp in have a Beach
If you want a 'Posh' mini bus have a Caravelle
I adore my Beach, I dad a Passat Sport before and I would say the Beach is easily as comfortable as that was OK The performance is different , but who wants a camper that does 0-60 in a little over 8 seconds :D

Barefoot62 said:
In my opinion if you want a 'POSH' multi purpose vehicle that you can camp in have a Beach
If you want a 'Posh' mini bus have a Caravelle
I adore my Beach, I dad a Passat Sport before and I would say the Beach is easily as comfortable as that was OK The performance is different , but who wants a camper that does 0-60 in a little over 8 seconds :D

i think that's a good way of putting it :)

Well we've blown the budget for our ideal spec ex rental, paid our deposit, can't wait! Olympic blue 140 with parking heater, ehu, 3 zone climatronic & lots of other lovely extras. All being well we collect Thursday.

I was a bit surprised by how plasticky the beach felt compared with the Caravelle but it's not going to bother us. At least the kids can eat tomato pasta in the beach without me nagging them not to drop it on the carpet now!

Intersting point you make about how plasticky the beach feels to the Caravelle .

It feels much more practical but comfortable camper than luxury mpv

When we test drove the Beach the plastic does feel very cheap compared to the SE, this is why we decided to spend the extra. no regrets at all

The Beach feels plasticky because it's based on a Multivan Startline which is the most basic Multivan and this has the basic door cards and Transporter Dashboard

The UK Caravelle and Cali SE are derived from Comfortline Multivans which have higher grade door cards and in Europe a different higher quality Multivan Dashboard.

The Beach is not nearly as nice in that sense as a UK Velle but that's also part of its charm :).

James

The difference in materials is reflected in the cost of the products, you pay for what you get. Including different specifications.

Pollychops said:
The difference in materials is reflected in the cost of the products, you pay for what you get. Including different specifications.

Exactly

You pay for the Beach's camperness (new word) and the Velles Luxury MPVness (another new word).

I looked at Velle's before the Beach and even in UK guise without the Multivan Dash - they are lovely, seriously nice vehicles.

I'd pay for the manual poptop roof, that's what swung it for us, that when up, creates such a nice space and bear in mind the Caravelle has the higher three bench only, there's a clear advantage. I love the Beaches identity as well, it's stand alone product, with its own feel.

Plus, they don't do this generation Velle in Yellow (we looked a lovely pre facelift yellow one)

James

Caravelle, Beach and California SE. Three different products all with their own identity and purpose.

Pollychops said:
Caravelle, Beach and California SE. Three different products all with their own identity and purpose.

Yes, very much so :)

I always get a little bit annoyed when people say the Beach is a Caravelle with a pop top - I know why and I see why, but it's not lol

I will be honest, the SE does feel more refined than the Beach, no doubt, but it's a shame VW couldn't fit the LHD Multivan Dash, it's a massive improvement and looks far more car like and upmarket and includes a 2 litre bottle cooler.

If I was buying a Cali as a second car for camping alone, it would be LHD.

James

Having owned a Caravelle Exec. 180 DSG for the past 3.5 years and covered over 70K miles, I can honestly say that my new 7 seat 140 Beach is not vastly different in quality.
Ok, it has rubber floor covering in the cabin .... more practical!
It doesn't race away from the traffic lights .... more economic.
The seats are not leather ... but are not so heavy to remove,
Plastic is plastic is plastic! ... The plastic panels in my caravelle scratched very easily and the plastic in the Beach is exactly the same ...... no change there.
The only thing that I do notice is there is more of a "wallow" when cornering but that will be fixed next week when the -40mm Bilsteins are fitted.
Cheers,
Bill

surfbus said:
Having owned a Caravelle Exec. 180 DSG for the past 3.5 years and covered over 70K miles, I can honestly say that my new 7 seat 140 Beach is not vastly different in quality.
Ok, it has rubber floor covering in the cabin .... more practical!
It doesn't race away from the traffic lights .... more economic.
The seats are not leather ... but are not so heavy to remove,
Plastic is plastic is plastic! ... The plastic panels in my caravelle scratched very easily and the plastic in the Beach is exactly the same ...... no change there.
The only thing that I do notice is there is more of a "wallow" when cornering but that will be fixed next week when the -40mm Bilsteins are fitted.
Cheers,
Bill

interesting to have experience of both

Nice post

James

Thanks James.

I loved my Caravelle and was not overly excited about the impending arrival of the new Beach.
However, having had it for 5 days now and covered over 1k miles I am extremely happy with it.

Bill.

Back