Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should we start collecting for the white clifs in Dover?

• Thread starter Hotel California
  • Start date
National trust want to raise money to buy the land so that developers don't get their hands on it. Keeps it as a national treasure that way.

If we did not have the National Trust then we would not have had operation Neptune that preserved some of the finest coastline in the UK from development and we would not have the 630 mile South West Coast Path that is rated one of the top ten trails in the World.

Just a fraction of what the NT preserves.

Yes it has the image of a bunch of rather twee, blue-rinsed middle-aged busy bodies in Laura Ashley skirts and blouses but much of what this beautiful but overcrowded island of ours holds dear is preserved unspoilt for us by the NT.

They will certainly be getting a contribution from me. The managed white cliffs area are beautiful, iconic and with the regulation tea room serving rock cakes of the type that only NT volunteers can produce :shocked

I agree with almost everything you have said GJ.

I've been a member of the NT (and English Heritage) for several decades because I believe that the preservation of our National heritage including unspoilt beauty spots and vast stretches of our coast line is of paramount importance. To be able to walk right around GB on a coastal path will soon be a reality (not that i'll be doing it). Areas like the White Cliffs of Dover need to be protected from the developers. Once spoilt you can never get them back.

However, I've never worn a Laura Ashley skirt and blouse.

With you on that GJ. Hats off to the NT and its blue-rinsies.

Me and Mrs VD joined NT as life members (ie a one-time fee) about 25 years ago so now we feel a teeny bit uncomfy about having so many world-class sites and landscapes to visit without being asked for any further contributions. Consequently I have to steer Mrs VD safely clear of every NT gift shop in case she tries to dive in to make a guilt purchase. :rolleyes:

But seriously I do try to remember, though sometimes I forget :sorry, to say a proper thank-you to at least one of the NT volunteers on every visit. I don't think all visitors actually realise the guides and stewards give up their time for nothing to shepherd us gormless grockles.

My only real beef is that a lot of the NT cafes seem to have stopped selling Fentiman's ginger beer in favour of that Luscombe's stuff. Get a grip NT.

With you on that GJ. Hats off to the NT and its blue-rinsies.

Me and Mrs VD joined NT as life members (ie a one-time fee) about 25 years ago so now we feel a teeny bit uncomfy about having so many world-class sites and landscapes to visit without being asked for any further contributions. Consequently I have to steer Mrs VD safely clear of every NT gift shop in case she tries to dive in to make a guilt purchase. :rolleyes:

But seriously I do try to remember, though sometimes I forget :sorry, to say a proper thank-you to at least one of the NT volunteers on every visit. I don't think all visitors actually realise the guides and stewards give up their time for nothing to shepherd us gormless grockles.

My only real beef is that a lot of the NT cafes seem to have stopped selling Fentiman's ginger beer in favour of that Luscombe's stuff. Get a grip NT.
We have met some wonderful volunteers who are just ordinary people with a passion for our history. Again we always try to thank someone on our visit to a location. What's wron with Luscombe's. Hits the spot for me but remember to shake it first. Didn't do that once. OMG the last swig was evil.

What's wron with Luscombe's. Hits the spot for me but remember to shake it first. Didn't do that once. OMG the last swig was evil.

Nothing actually wrong with Luscombe's. Just like there's nothing actually wrong with Blue Nun. Fentiman's on the other hand is the Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru of ginger beers.

Tuh, this forum is full of philistines these days.

:D

Just wish National Trust would merge with English Heritage. Having got used to my membership giving free entry I do get grumpy when I have to pay!
Membership of both offer such good deals and a real incentive to get out and explore.

Back