Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Show us your Plates & Bowls

Do you have these? Like the designs but just wondering about the suitability for camping.
No, I have a real mishmash of different plates, bowls etc. I do know a lot of people who rave about them though for campervanning and caravanning. They seem to be pretty robust and if you’re in to matching sets, they do some great designs.

I was looking at the same thing the other day seems there is a lot of quality variation in melamine.

The inside table is only 48x64cm and as there is 4 of us I was trying to find something that would fit but have a usable dinner size. Was wondering if square/rect might be the way to go and came across the ridge monkey plates. Main concern if and how neatly they stack. Not seen any mention of them up until now and I think I've been through most of the past threads so maybe there's a good reason for that!

That’s what we use, stack great, tough as old boots

Wait til the supermarkets get their picnic gear in....it’s plastic but usually interesting.

I am however thinking of changing back to normal crockery.

Wait til the supermarkets get their picnic gear in....it’s plastic but usually interesting.

I am however thinking of changing back to normal crockery.
The Corelle sets might be right up your street, Dottie.

The majority of the bamboo stuff seems to be a mixture of bamboo and melamine, and many companies will trade off the eco-credentials of bamboo without mentioning the melamine. The 'grain' is just a decal applied at the end of the process. Not necessarily an issue if you're aware and happy, but don't go thinking that everything labelled 'bamboo' is made exclusively from it. As with everything, there are differing degrees of quality/safety across the spectrum of producers:
https://tox.dhi.dk/en/news/news/article/bamboo-tableware-can-be-plastic-and-release-formaldehyde/ (the German PDF is worth a read)

[insert pre-emptive disclaimer about how everything is toxic in a high enough dose; we're talking about occasional use not everyday use; etc., etc.]
The Bamboo-Melamine dinnerware can from today on no longer be sold in EU for exactly this toxic reason.

Interesting thread. Reminds me our stuff could do with updating. Currently we have enamel pasta bowls for adults and a lot of IKEA kids stuff but the kids are now older.
I love our enamel bowls but the food does go cold. Melamine does work better so maybe I should get some.
Bamboo stuff we have at home often falls apart when left in water for ten minutes.

Btw I would massively recommend Duralex glasses. They always make me feel happy on holidays.

i've seen a set somewhere in white/ blue and they are called 'ocean blue' which would suit the starlight blue ocean perfectly. maybe it was amazon or somewhere. not sure

i've seen a set somewhere in white/ blue and they are called 'ocean blue' which would suit the starlight blue ocean perfectly. maybe it was amazon or somewhere. not sure
Maybe this post on here in December, FB are you loosing it?
We went for this set, "BRUNNER All Inclusive Melamine Crockery Set, Blue Ocean, 36 pieces". None slip bases and perfect colour for a Starlight van, still in excellent condition after 4 years use.

The majority of the bamboo stuff seems to be a mixture of bamboo and melamine, and many companies will trade off the eco-credentials of bamboo without mentioning the melamine. The 'grain' is just a decal applied at the end of the process. Not necessarily an issue if you're aware and happy, but don't go thinking that everything labelled 'bamboo' is made exclusively from it. As with everything, there are differing degrees of quality/safety across the spectrum of producers:
https://tox.dhi.dk/en/news/news/article/bamboo-tableware-can-be-plastic-and-release-formaldehyde/ (the German PDF is worth a read)

[insert pre-emptive disclaimer about how everything is toxic in a high enough dose; we're talking about occasional use not everyday use; etc., etc.]
Yes, had read this so we went with falcon enamel. Company and quality is outstanding. we want to stay light, so we got deep plates to use as plates or pasta bowls, then got a (much reduced) pie set, which is a nesting set of bowls, use the smallest for cereal and largest for serving or mixing. Got mugs and 2 tumblers. Seems perfect. Got them in black, they look really smart and probably will outlive us.
kept in their boxes, no rattles.

M&S black cutlery to match . :)

Yes, had read this so we went with falcon enamel. Company and quality is outstanding. we want to stay light, so we got deep plates to use as plates or pasta bowls, then got a (much reduced) pie set, which is a nesting set of bowls, use the smallest for cereal and largest for serving or mixing. Got mugs and 2 tumblers. Seems perfect. Got them in black, they look really smart and probably will outlive us.
kept in their boxes, no rattles.

M&S black cutlery to match . :)

We moved from enamel to plastic this year. We have lovely enamel pasta bowls but food goes cold in minutes. Really fast, blink and it’s cold pasta. Exactly same problem in our enamel bath!

We moved from enamel to plastic this year. We have lovely enamel pasta bowls but food goes cold in minutes. Really fast, blink and it’s cold pasta. Exactly same problem in our enamel bath!
Eh! You eat pasta in the bath??

Add some loft insulation under bath, and warm pasta bowls before adding pasta helps