Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shower / loo tent advice needed!

Dottie

Dottie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have decided on a shower and loo, and so now need a tent! I would like it to replace my queque shelter which I use as a store.
Needing advice both on what I believe to be my requirements and what others might have and how they have found them to stand up to wear and tear.

So far I have determined the following are the requirements:
- roof! I read that some can be sited under trees so that a shower can be hung in the tree, so no roof?
- Not too big - 120-150cm square is ok...most are likely to be approx 2m high so ok
- light, easily erected and folded
- guy ropes? Not sure if this is necessary?
- waterproof - to allow me to use it also as a store
- detachable base - this is not essential cos I can make do with existing stuff I carry

So, any suggestions?

I know, I am a woos...like a daily shower and would love an odd overnight at a local CL but it has no facilities, thus a tent is required! :happy

Whatever you buy I'd be inclined to peg it down properly just in case a gust of wind, from the weather that is, blows it away at an inappropriate time;)

Khyam Toilet/Shower tent, very quick to erect and has access for shower hose. Not cheap, around £80 but has extended my campsite options to those with no facilities.

Hi Dottie

We bought a loo tent from Pop-A-Loo a while ago. Mainly for use on festival campsites. We didn't need the accompanying loo as we already had one.

We find it's pretty sturdy. It does need pegging down, and have to confess, it took a bit of mastering to pack away. Pretty straight forward now we have the hang of it.

Here's the link:

http://www.popaloo.co.uk

The guy who runs the company is pretty friendly so you can always give him a call for more info.

Good luck in the search.

Hi Dottie

We bought a loo tent from Pop-A-Loo a while ago. Mainly for use on festival campsites. We didn't need the accompanying loo as we already had one.

We find it's pretty sturdy. It does need pegging down, and have to confess, it took a bit of mastering to pack away. Pretty straight forward now we have the hang of it.

Here's the link:

http://www.popaloo.co.uk

The guy who runs the company is pretty friendly so you can always give him a call for more info.

Good luck in the search.
Is there enough room to shower in it? I am comparing Popaloo to Khyam, but simplicity, longevity and a degree of practicality is the mission

Any idea of packed size, and weight?
No idea, but you could email them via eBay, or phone them as their address shows them in the West Midlands.

Hi

I would not go for a Popup tent. I tried it and the sod would not pop down. My wife and I had a huge argument as a result of a silly cheap Chinese made tent. Play safe and avoid the agro.
Mike

Not had any problems with the Pop-Up variety. There is a nack, but once mastered it's like riding a bicycle.

Last edited:
I have a popup shelter, so I know the script: hell on first outing of the year if you haven't watched you tube ....that is, until you realise the instructions are taped into the inside of the bag!

My popup shelter is 110x110 so am thinking the Khyam might be the best option to combine use of shelter (storage/garden shed) with shower/loo. I believe it's very sturdy and easy to erect/take down?

I have another dilemma....let's get real Dottie...how many shelters do I need....I think I'll post a new topic for this one.

PS my boginabag arrived today....!

Is there enough room to shower in it? I am comparing Popaloo to Khyam, but simplicity, longevity and a degree of practicality is the mission

Yes I'd say you could shower in it, but it's not something we've tried. Sounds like you have other options now though ;)

Yes I'd say you could shower in it, but it's not something we've tried. Sounds like you have other options now though ;)
Other options, but I keep thinking 'cheap, light and cheerful' might be best option.....so Popaloo is still in the running!

Hi
For sites without toilet and shower facilities we bought one of these showers which is surprisingly effective.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LDVAV4/?tag=eliteelect-21
Then filled an ortleib 10 litre folding bowl with a pan and kettle of hot water or with a solar bag of water and filled to top with cold for a nice hot shower - enough to wash hair and have a a quick shower. ( ortleib folding bowls do not collapse when filled with water unlike a yachticon one we tried). Got a green ortleib bowl for washing up and a blue for shower and washing.
We've also bought a collapsible 80cm round 'pet pool' to stand in - doubles up as a small childrens paddling pool! This saves swamping the toilet tent, or you could stand in another bowl to prevent the excess water spelling around.
Got the boginabag set up and found it very satisfactory, especially the small amount of space it takes up.
Also have a cheapo Leapair pop up tent - it's good but not sure if it will last long - chose it because so light and small and can well imagine replacing it with a Khan at some point although they are much bulkier.
The whole lot takes up very little space and although we manage without a shower most days, it is great for when you really feel you need one!

Ordered Khyam tent last night and have 12v shower, and bogabag!
So shower base...I've found a popup one but only 65cm diameter, might that be ok?
Will try using collapsable bucket for water.

So shower base...I've found a popup one but only 65cm diameter, might that be ok?
The Khyam is a good choice! The first few times you erect it you will find it a bit tight but after that and once you perfect your technique it goes up really easily.

Hi Dottie
Which 12 v shower have you got? Look forward to your review of the new tent/ shower. Have fun.
Best wishes
Mandy

This may well be a silly question but the water goes from the bucket though the shower, via the body into the paddling pool but where does it go from there? Do you try and empty it (impossible I would imagine) or just pull the plug out and let it go into the ground? I wouldn't have though this was allowed at Festivals/camp sites? Could end up very muddy :(

This may well be a silly question but the water goes from the bucket though the shower, via the body into the paddling pool but where does it go from there? Do you try and empty it (impossible I would imagine) or just pull the plug out and let it go into the ground? I wouldn't have though this was allowed at Festivals/camp sites? Could end up very muddy :(

And smelly.
Totally unacceptable in my opinion.

Smaller festivals drain shower waste onto ground.
Why would it be smelly ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Smaller festivals drain shower waste onto ground.
Why would it be smelly ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Festivals are usually there for a couple of days and I don't think people will actually be camping on top of the shower drain.

Do you fancy stepping in and out of your Cali onto a patch of grass covered with shampoo, shower gel, pubic hair and boby fluids etc?

Festivals are usually there for a couple of days and I don't think people will actually be camping on top of the shower drain.

Do you fancy stepping in and out of your Cali onto a patch of grass covered with shampoo, shower gel, pubic hair and boby fluids etc?

Put like that ... :eek:

Back