Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side awning leg mounts

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Just been looking at a T6 (Kombi) this afternoon and I noticed the sliding door, when fully open stops short of the rear of the van leaving a section of body side visible.

On our T4 we have very useful awning leg mounts that allow the legs to secure to the body as opposed to standing free on the pitch. This is great in the wind as you don't need to peg the awning legs into the ground. It's just a much nicer solution.
The T5 can't do this as the sliding door overhangs the side of the van when fully open so there is nowhere to mount the bracket for the rear awning leg.

If ordering a T6 with an awning it may we worth asking if these mounts are available factory fitted.

S.

Have you got any photos of the mounts and where exactly they fit on a t4 Sidepod? I've got quite a long awning so I think I won't be able to do it, but it does seem a neater solution.

IMG_4980.jpg IMG_4982.jpg IMG_4977.jpg IMG_4981.jpg IMG_4983.jpg IMG_4976.jpg IMG_4980.jpg IMG_4982.jpg IMG_4977.jpg IMG_4981.jpg IMG_4981.jpg IMG_4983.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

Awning1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Pod. I'll see where they'd need to be with my long awning.

If ordering a T6 with an awning it may we worth asking if these mounts are available factory fitted.

S.
On my 2014 SE the sliding door when Open leaves about 4" of the side panel at the rear exposed so a bracket could be fitted but the problem would be the front bracket. The front drivers door meets the front edge of the sliding door. There is no exposed body panel between the two doors.
Also the side awning starts about 6" from the rear and ends halfway along the length of the drivers door so the legs would be at an angle in two planes.
The T6 is not that different and I would think it would have the same problem.

On the T4 with the fixed mounts you could tension the awning with guy ropes but I, personally wouldn't fancy doing that with suction mounts, but a good find. :thumb
You could swing on these suckers.
images-79.jpeg

On the T4 with the fixed mounts you could tension the awning with guy ropes but I, personally wouldn't fancy doing that with suction mounts, but a good find. :thumb
That kind of attachment would be okay on hard standing or
if you're on sand.

I don't think you would want to strap it down would you?
Popular with dog lovers, as they can't wind the lead around
the legs and its 2 things less for them to p1ss on.

Just been looking at a T6 (Kombi) this afternoon and I noticed the sliding door, when fully open stops short of the rear of the van leaving a section of body side visible.

On our T4 we have very useful awning leg mounts that allow the legs to secure to the body as opposed to standing free on the pitch. This is great in the wind as you don't need to peg the awning legs into the ground. It's just a much nicer solution.
The T5 can't do this as the sliding door overhangs the side of the van when fully open so there is nowhere to mount the bracket for the rear awning leg.

S.
Thanks for the inspiration @sidepod I made a pair of custom awning brackets using SeaSucker limpets and Thule wall brackets. Photos aren’t uploading just now for some reason.

Interesting solutions to prevent my dog from taking away the poles.
Could you please give us the references of these suction fasteners?

They’re interesting bits of kit. Shame the front door is out of action when in use.