ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all,

Hope someone will eb able to help me out. We have a problem with the awning on our VW California T5.
1 leg comes out just fine (front of the van) but the other leg (back of the van) won't come out. The cover that covers the legs/closed the awning housing won't really open. It opens on the side of the leg that comes out, but is stuck on the side where the leg is stuck.

The foot of the leg (where the spring is) seems to work just fine. I can place it inside the awning and also push it to get the foot out. But that's it, as the rest of the leg is stuck and the cover won't budge. The awning does close like it should, so we can drive the van. But just can't use the awning for now.

any tips are appreciated!

Hi all,

Hope someone will eb able to help me out. We have a problem with the awning on our VW California T5.
1 leg comes out just fine (front of the van) but the other leg (back of the van) won't come out. The cover that covers the legs/closed the awning housing won't really open. It opens on the side of the leg that comes out, but is stuck on the side where the leg is stuck.

The foot of the leg (where the spring is) seems to work just fine. I can place it inside the awning and also push it to get the foot out. But that's it, as the rest of the leg is stuck and the cover won't budge. The awning does close like it should, so we can drive the van. But just can't use the awning for now.

any tips are appreciated!
So, the front awning flap won't move outwards and upwards, at the rear, to allow the leg to drop down when disconnected from the central holder. So the flap is jammed at one end?
Try opening awning about 0.5 m.
Insert a broad bladed implement between awning flap and leg joint and lever outwards to release awning flap and allow leg to drop down. Either something is jammed or something is broken.

Will try @WelshGas. Thanks for the suggestion. Just trying to make sure I don't mess it up more then it is, especially since the awning will still close and we're still able to drive teh way it is right now ;-)

You could try giving it a good drenching in WD40 or silicone spray. We had the same problem although not seized completely, it’s now nice and free.