Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side collision avoidance

Paulfwb

Paulfwb

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Today I was reversing in a car park and collided with a 12 inch concrete wall. Because it wasn’t at the back but by the siding door the parking help didn’t help and I only became aware when felt the resistance.

Does anyone know any solutions to this blind-spot problem?
I was thinking of:
  • Side bars
  • Side sensors
  • More cameras
  • Wing mirror extension
Has anyone any recommendations, please?

Very bad luck Paul, it's horrible when something like that happens, it only takes a moment.

I don;t find I have a particular side blind spot issue with our T5, I'm not sure if the T6 mirrors coverage are different. But the usual solution back in the old days always used to be the stick-on mini-mirrors that attach to the main side mirror glass, that you can stick on to give extra coverage either downwards or sideways. Maybe worth a try anyway.

A question. What do you see when you look in your mirrors?
Mine are set to see as little as possible from the air, just the door handle from the sliding door, and as much as possible towards the ground. I have never found myself in your situation, and I don't think I will get there soon with my mirrors covering all the sight I need towards the ground and up to the front doors.
When I sometimes get in another one's car, I am looking at the sky, not seeing anything from the car.
Those Transporter mirrors are about triple the size of modern car mirrors, so I find it very strange you didn't see a concrete wall?

Too bad you hit that wall, and the damage can look worse than it really is, because of the big panels.
I hope you get it sorted soon.

If I don't forget, I will try to take a picture of my mirror settings.

When we were in Spain a couple of years ago got talking to a guy with a new camper conversion with a nasty scrape on the side...Same thing had happened to him, he just didn’t see a bollard..we decided to fit some side bars after that but whether they would actually help I don’t know...

A question. What do you see when you look in your mirrors?
Mine are set to see as little as possible from the air, just the door handle from the sliding door, and as much as possible towards the ground. I have never found myself in your situation, and I don't think I will get there soon with my mirrors covering all the sight I need towards the ground and up to the front doors.
When I sometimes get in another one's car, I am looking at the sky, not seeing anything from the car.
Those Transporter mirrors are about triple the size of modern car mirrors, so I find it very strange you didn't see a concrete wall?

Too bad you hit that wall, and the damage can look worse than it really is, because of the big panels.
I hope you get it sorted soon.

If I don't forget, I will try to take a picture of my mirror settings.
Thanks TripleBee!
You have good point but I am forced to compromise because of the scope of the standard T6 mirrors. I have them set for motorway driving, which means that I maintain a good view of both inside and outside lanes. (Live in Switzerland and here the overtaking strategies can be scary. I cannot comment on the UK as I haven’t live there for twenty years.)

I like the idea of small stick-on convexed mirrors that was suggested here. I see many professional drivers use them.

Thanks TripleBee!
You have good point but I am forced to compromise because of the scope of the standard T6 mirrors. I have them set for motorway driving, which means that I maintain a good view of both inside and outside lanes. (Live in Switzerland and here the overtaking strategies can be scary. I cannot comment on the UK as I haven’t live there for twenty years.)

I like the idea of small stick-on convexed mirrors that was suggested here. I see many professional drivers use them.
I agree with @TripleBee about mirror settings; I don't have a problem with my T5. On another of my cars, which don't give such good coverage, I have the small stick on wedges suggested by @Velma's Dad and they work very well.
Incidentally, my T5 has Lane change assist which I have yet to experience, but alleged to be of assistance on motorways. Rest assured U.K. driving on certain motorways (think of a number between 4&6) can be pretty scary.

I have fitted stainless side steps/bars.

Not long after fitting them, I was driving on motorway through roadworks in some pretty awful wind and rain.
Next minute I saw a large traffic cone being blown towards me.
I swerved and the offside side bar took the impact. Just a scrape along the outer edge.
Without these, I will have had some nasty damage down the side panel.

Last year we travelled the NC500 in October.
Great scenery but again awful weather most the time.
Driving along single track road, round a blind bend, we saw too late that there had been a rock fall and hit a large rock on the roadside.
Again the side bar took the impact, this time the nearside, a large elongated dent and some very nasty scrapes.
The rear wheel (winter steel) got some paint chipped on the rim too. When I took it to be re-powder coated, they found that there was a slight buckle in the rim too

We have replaced the side bars this year to get back to a pristine look.

Around £200 for the first set, and the same for the second.

But I still feel that these are a lot cheaper and easier to deal with then some expensive bodywork.

Thanks TripleBee!

I understand you want more sight on highways, but I can't stand looking in the mirrors and don't know where to locate my van in the view.
I have had some blind spot issues (no damage), but not enough to adapt my mirrors.

The one thing I have encountered is when approaching a roundabout (left steering, right driving), the car/motor/bike/person coming from the left, is all the way in the blind spot of the A-pillar. And when I think all is clear to enter the roundabout (turning anti clockwise), there suddenly is/are some cars/... I didn't see before.
All without accidents, but they surprise me often.

I have fitted stainless side steps/bars.

Not long after fitting them, I was driving on motorway through roadworks in some pretty awful wind and rain.
Next minute I saw a large traffic cone being blown towards me.
I swerved and the offside side bar took the impact. Just a scrape along the outer edge.
Without these, I will have had some nasty damage down the side panel.

Last year we travelled the NC500 in October.
Great scenery but again awful weather most the time.
Driving along single track road, round a blind bend, we saw too late that there had been a rock fall and hit a large rock on the roadside.
Again the side bar took the impact, this time the nearside, a large elongated dent and some very nasty scrapes.
The rear wheel (winter steel) got some paint chipped on the rim too. When I took it to be re-powder coated, they found that there was a slight buckle in the rim too

We have replaced the side bars this year to get back to a pristine look.

Around £200 for the first set, and the same for the second.

But I still feel that these are a lot cheaper and easier to deal with then some expensive bodywork.
Hi Alan,
What was the brand of the side-bars? You seem to have had a good experience with them.
Thanks,
Paul

Hi Alan,
What was the brand of the side-bars? You seem to have had a good experience with them.
Thanks,
Paul
The first set were from Direct4x4, but when I approached them for the second set I was told that the Italian company that manufactured them had gone out of business, and there are no stocks remaining.

When shows reopen, then I will look around the stalls to try to find another spare set.

The second set came from VanX.

The first set were rated to carry an 18 stone person, and were certainly thicker stainless. With 3 heavy duty fixings each side.

The second set are lighter duty, and I will certainly not use them as a step. They only have 2 fixings each side. But the polished finish is better.

I still have the first set and wonder if they can be repaired. The damage is only on the near side bar, but is nasty scrape and dent to the underside of the tubing.

My local garage guy told me that side-bars offer little protection but I thought that if their quality is high enough they should offer some. (He was pretty young, so maybe has only come across "decorative side-bars".)

A skilled metal worker might give you a quote for repairing your damaged tubing if there is no paneling and painting involved.

My local garage guy told me that side-bars offer little protection but I thought that if their quality is high enough they should offer some. (He was pretty young, so maybe has only come across "decorative side-bars".)

A skilled metal worker might give you a quote for repairing your damaged tubing if there is no paneling and painting involved.
He may be referring to the narrow styling side trims only. These are installed close to the bodywork and offer little protection. As I say, they are for styling only.

The side steps/bars I have installed protrude 100-125mm from the bodywork, so do provide some real protection as my previous messages have confirmed.

If you would like to see a photograph of the damage caused by the rock on the NC500 trip, just let me know.

He may be referring to the narrow styling side trims only. These are installed close to the bodywork and offer little protection. As I say, they are for styling only.

The side steps/bars I have installed protrude 100-125mm from the bodywork, so do provide some real protection as my previous messages have confirmed.

If you would like to see a photograph of the damage caused by the rock on the NC500 trip, just let me know.
Yes please - do share the photos.

This is about the view I have in my mirrors: (note: LHD vehicle)
IMG_20200917_150016.jpg

IMG_20200917_144431.jpg

Maybe doctor @westfalia has some medical advice about my left arm and hand?

Apologies. I have only now spotted request for photo. I will do it today.
Here are photos of the damage done when on the NC500 and collided with large rock from rock slide.

I dread to imagine the damage to bodywork if these were not fitted.

DSCF1061.JPG

DSCF1062.JPG

View attachment 66910

View attachment 66911

[/QUOTE
View attachment 66910

View attachment 66911

I set my mirrors with no view/reflection of the outer edge wasted showing the plastic cover, benefit being that more van side is shown. Quite a sensitive adjustment which doesn't result in any loss of left or right lane view.

In potential side damage areas I motor the mirror to give more van side/ground view.

My Wife's previous VW EOS nearside mirror moved down and in automatically when reverse gear was selected, pity the Cali one doesn't.

Back