Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink glass splashback shattered

It concerns me that heat from the gas hobs spreads well beyond the pan so I only ever use the right hand burner and only then with the sink cover up.

It concerns me that heat from the gas hobs spreads well beyond the pan so I only ever use the right hand burner and only then with the sink cover up.
If you use the correct sized pans, as detailed in the Handbook you are unlikely to have a problem even using both burners simultaneously. I haven't, 7 yrs and counting.

My glass sink cover just exploded for no reason. I'm souring the Forum for a solution. My 2018 Coast is long out of warantee - unless there's been a recall on this part. Any assistance appreciated.

I broke my hob cover glass recently (entirely my own stupid fault).

VW complete part - £351
LLL Parts genuine OEM part (same part no.) - £268 + carriage

OR, alternatively:

1x piece of identical frosted 4mm glass hand-cut to my template and frame parts by my ‘good old boy’ local friendly glass merchant with 30+ yrs experience, then sent for toughening - £45

There’s some committed effort needed to get all the broken bits out, prepare, and rebond, but if you are hurting at the annoyance of the accident, and the expense, plus practical enough and like a modest challenge, then DIY.

(plus you don’t bin and therefore waste the perfectly good metalwork, which I’d find pretty scandalous ;-))

Let me know if you need any help.

B20D4F78-91DB-4963-9100-B2BD180ED7DB.jpeg50B5DB8C-0904-4347-94FA-98A385F453C1.jpeg94658B37-BB74-4695-A240-ACD5DE932046.jpeg11396E14-DB14-42F2-B5CD-B952AEB7426E.jpeg

Last edited:
I broke my hob cover glass recently (entirely my own stupid fault).

VW complete part - £351
LLL Parts genuine OEM part (same part no.) - £268 + carriage

OR, alternatively:

1x piece of identical frosted 4mm glass hand-cut to my template and frame parts by my ‘good old boy’ local friendly glass merchant with 30+ yrs experience, then sent for toughening - £45

There’s some committed effort needed to get all the broken bits out, prepare, and rebond, but if you are hurting at the annoyance of the accident, and the expense, plus practical enough and like a modest challenge, then DIY.

(plus you don’t bin and therefore waste the perfectly good metalwork, which I’d find pretty scandalous ;-))

Let me know if you need any help.

View attachment 101731View attachment 101732View attachment 101733View attachment 101734

All finally finished now after various distractions and diversions on the way. The final result: “looks just like a bought one”!!! Very happy with it.

Give me a shout anyone who may end up in a similar predicament, and who wants help doing a glass replacement repair for an all-in cost well below a third of the price of the whole replacement lid assembly.

As previously stated, my sink glass cover 'exploded' one night for no reason. The Portugal VW Dealer also quoted me an outrageous replacement cost. I took the 2 metal parts (which still contained pebbles of broken glass) to my local glass shop here in Lagos. Total cost for clouded tempered glass including re-installation - 75 Euros.

In future, I will always raise the sink cover when stove is on. I'm also making an insert to lay on top of the sink so I can use as a work space.

This incident recently follows the replacement of 3 Batteries (my Van had sat idle for 3 years thanks to Covid restrictions) - the cost was 40% of dealer although same brand & specs.

All in all, I'm getting a bit disheartened with VW's pricing structure.

Bit late to this but unexplained glass breakage is maybe Nickel Sulphide Inclusion. Impurities can still be contained in the glass pane after its manufacture and toughening processes. It can be virtually eliminated by heat soaking the glass but this is only normally done when glass is in a critical position - for example overhead. Heat soaking will usually force any glass with nickel sulphide inclusion to shatter so eliminating it! Its quite rare so you make have just been unlucky.

Back