Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink glass splashback shattered

Madhutter

Madhutter

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Help! I went to pick something up from the Cali today and found this. A shattered sink glass splash back. Not used the van for several weeks but have been in it to pick up odd bits a couple of times. It’s not been used… nothing has fallen on it… no signs of attempted break in… anyone any ideas? Apparently not covered by warranty as it’s glass… 01DC1491-A185-4082-876C-30B5D4DF127A.jpeg

89ABBB08-F272-40FA-AA75-C6706CFE648E.jpeg

How strange @Madhutter
Bit of a long shot and unlikely, but I wonder if the glass was ‘stressed’ against the tap when closed and then failed during the recent cold spell when things contracted?

How strange @Madhutter
Bit of a long shot and unlikely, but I wonder if the glass was ‘stressed’ against the tap when closed and then failed during the recent cold spell when things contracted?
Checked levels and tap wasn’t in contact… and surely glass can take a bit of cold weather?

Help! I went to pick something up from the Cali today and found this. A shattered sink glass splash back. Not used the van for several weeks but have been in it to pick up odd bits a couple of times. It’s not been used… nothing has fallen on it… no signs of attempted break in… anyone any ideas? Apparently not covered by warranty as it’s glass… View attachment 87285

View attachment 87286
Gutting that VW say that it's not covered. Have they quoted you for a replacement?

Not sure if this is your year, so please double check, does this help with pricing?

Post #9

@SusiBus can you assist ?

have a search through the post that came up under a search “Shattered”

i hope that helps you

Brilliant Stuart thanks for that - looks like I can pick up a scratched one for about £160 on eBay or £215 for new. No response from local VW Dartford who have been hopeless since day one
Not a huge discount on the scratched one!
If you did go for the scratched one @Madhutter you might be able to disguise the scratches with some protective window film. (We covered our van kitchen worktops in it from new). Quite inexpensive and easy to fit if you have a sharp blade.

C6B9471B-6666-4BF8-B804-A3E966344A25.png

Have you thought about having a piece of glass cut and tempered. With all the edges polished, I’m sure that’s all that the manufacturers do. Unless of coarse it’s a thickness unique to VW.

Brilliant Stuart thanks for that - looks like I can pick up a scratched one for about £160 on eBay or £215 for new. No response from local VW Dartford who have been hopeless since day one

If the scratch is on the glass bit I would be very wary for the sake of £45.
A seemingly minor scratch could significantly weaken it due to nature of how toughened glass works.

Post #9

@SusiBus can you assist ?

have a search through the post that came up under a search “Shattered”

i hope that helps you
We experienced our fridge glass exploding. It was the early type with the gas strut. The cause was put down to a misalignment of the hinge putting stress on the glass. At first the dealer said glass was not covered by the warranty, but after a little pressure we got it replaced under warranty.
As there have been other reports of exploding glass worktops, it appears that there maybe something intrinsically wrong with the glass being used for the worktops.

Have you thought about having a piece of glass cut and tempered. With all the edges polished, I’m sure that’s all that the manufacturers do. Unless of coarse it’s a thickness unique to VW.
Looking into options for swapping the glass

Looking into options for swapping the glass
I’ve often wondered if and (when!) any of my glass splashbacks shatter, if I could replace them with a nice piece of brushed aluminium. Should be fairly simple to replicate the shape and thickness of the glass. Would certainly be more robust and certainly more resistant to heat. Just a thought.

Have you thought about having a piece of glass cut and tempered. With all the edges polished, I’m sure that’s all that the manufacturers do.
I had the tempered safety glass from a motorhome passenger door replaced after a break-in, using a glass supplier that I found locally. I gave them a template and they supplied the glass for about one third of the price that the motorhome supplier wanted. (and in about one third of the time)

I’ve often wondered if and (when!) any of my glass splashbacks shatter, if I could replace them with a nice piece of brushed aluminium. Should be fairly simple to replicate the shape and thickness of the glass. Would certainly be more robust and certainly more resistant to heat. Just a thought.
That is a possibility but a sheet of Aluminium would probably cost more than glass but certainly more durable.

We shattered our larger hob cover glass in the summer.. it didn’t happen on its own was entirely our fault.. but I still had to replace it.

For me VW was the best option and although they said the lead time could be long, it actually arrived within a weekThe price difference to get from VW was negligible so I was pleased we ordered from them in the end.

I did also make a temporary one out of wood as I thought I’d be waiting weeks for the replacement and we were about to go on a 2 week trip.. as it turned out making the wooden one was harder than I’d anticipated! It took a while but was made harder I guess by not having the glass template.. I got something that worked but it wasn’t perfect so was glad when the original vw part arrived!

We shattered our larger hob cover glass in the summer.. it didn’t happen on its own was entirely our fault.. but I still had to replace it.

For me VW was the best option and although they said the lead time could be long, it actually arrived within a weekThe price difference to get from VW was negligible so I was pleased we ordered from them in the end.
Decided to go with VW Dartford in the end as they offered a small discount at £180 fir a replacement as opposed to the £160 for a scratched one off eBay - also bought an alu insert for the sink

Used to work with glass (Double Glazing) and this does happen often. Its a fault in the glass that can't be seen and it just pops. Ive had it twice with kitchen worktop glass pieces also. Cant be detected, can't be helped can just happen.

How strange @Madhutter
Tempered glass often has internal stresses within its structure that release suddenly, most often due to a rapid change of temperature aggravating the stress to a critical point. I've seen this happen with a rear windscreen on a car, suddenly shatter without anyone touching it.

78F8F9C2-0F44-4269-9A75-F807470C1941.jpeg
These are really good for protecting the glass worktops, Brushed Aluminum Dibond that simply stick onto the glass with adhesive pads. Also made for the split sink/hob version. No worries about dropping stuff onto the glass anymore.

View attachment 87395
These are really good for protecting the glass worktops, Brushed Aluminum Dibond that simply stick onto the glass with adhesive pads. Also made for the split sink/hob version. No worries about dropping stuff onto the glass anymore.
Seen these on eBay and love the look. Can you see the adhesive pads on the underside through the glass when they are lifted?

The adhesive pads are clear dots - about 15mm diameter- just one in each corner - barely visible.

View attachment 87395
Yes they will protect the glass, and perhaps keep the glass cooler on hot days, which may be one of the causes of them sometimes exploding, but not in our case.
The downside to me is that they could get very easily scratched, show smears when wiped, cut out light when folded back, (which is the beauty of the glass worktops, they don't). Personally I love the look of the glass tops and I'll just take my chance with them.

Putting it into perspective I think you would find that more windscreens have been replaced on Californias than glass kitchen tops over the years.
Clear glass plastic covers, as supplied by @Ajspicer are a cost effective alternative to protect from minor damage.

Back