Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Site near Aberystwyth

Californiaman

Californiaman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello all.

Can anyone recommend a campsite near to Aberystwyth for the weekend of the 7th Nov? I want to go visit one of my nieces who is at Uni there and I'm struggling - everything appears to be closed!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Can't recommend anywhere to camp, but I spent three years at university there and had a great time!

Lovely part of the world as well.

Have fun!

There are a couple of little C&CC sites nearby that look open.

You can search on their website without being a member. You're supposed to be a member, but I've never been asked for proof of membership on a CS before.

I went to University there many years ago and loved every minute also.

Went back for the first time in 16 years in Feb this year and there were plenty of campers wild camping parked on the seafront southern side (by the harbour).....

Also was considering staying camping in Rhayader an hour outside Aber, the campsite there was by the river and looked pretty good. I seem to remember some campsites out at Ynyslas again not able to recommend them.

Have fun its a great place.

Many years ago, maybe 10, we stayed in a campsite near Devil's Bridge and had a pub meal in the evening. If I recall the facilities were fairly basic, but offset by Rhayader, visit to the dams and drive through Élan Valley. Easy drive into Aberystwyth the next day.
Andy

Free parking on the front by the castle looking directly over the sea. I sleapt their last night and woke up to sunshine and a very warm Aberystwyth. Then drove to the Elan Valley for a picnic lunch with sheep, dams and reservoirs. An outstanding drive. Recommended...

HI, All

Thanks for the feedback. Everything was either closed or booked close to Aberystwyth but we stayed at Gigrin Farm just outside Rhayader. Very, very basic - but very quiet and with the added benefit of being a Kite feeding location. The sky gets very busy at 2/3pm every day and is well worth a visit. We've been a few time but not camped there before.

We've visited Rhayader lots over the years as it is often a base for motorcycle enduros, rallies and LDTs etc. The pubs in Rhayader are always entertaining and this weekend was no exception. Friday afternoon/evening was spent in the company of the youngest chap their (after us) who at 71 took great pleasure in introducing us to his dad and grandad - they both denied being any relation... and Sat night was spent eating and drinking with two Aussies and a Kiwi on a whistle stop tour of Europe - who had no idea why they were in Rhayader...

We are very familiar with the Elan Valley, having hooned (tech motorcycling term) through many times over the years. Currently, the dams are pretty much all overflowing which makes for quiet a spectacle - especially Clarwen.

YM0B2087_zps88526745.jpg

YM0B2214_zpsb6194106.jpg

YM0B2365_zpsac482ee9.jpg

YM0B2315_zps7621f103.jpg

Feeding time photo looks mad!
Great images and sent me off researching as a location to visit next year. Did the reservoir one really look like that or was there quite some post processing going on? :thumb

Hi, Owen. It is a lovely area. Make sure to visit Devils Bridge and have a walk around the waterfalls there too. This time of year is good there, with the amazing autumn colours and the leaves falling opening up the views. The photo above is three images blended to give an HDR (high dynamic range) image. The sky has been burned in a little to add to the drama. It is basically as the eye sees the image but not as a camera would normally record it. The human eye has a high dynamic range, meaning that it can see detail in the bright areas, the dark areas and the middle tones where a camera can only expose (see the detail) for one of those three ranges at a time so if you take one of each and take the detail from each, viola!

It used to be quite a diddly thing to do but a lot of cameras will do it for you these days.