Sliding door is on the CORRECT side

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
A week or so into t5 Cali ownership and I'm struck by how useful it is that the sliding door is on the 'wrong' side.
It may not be ideal for dropping the kids off at school, but it's perfect for when you park up for a dog walk at a reservoir and can park the 'nearside' really close against the kerbside bushes, and discharge myself through the drivers door and then the dog (through the sliding door) both to the offside.

Last edited:
Agree. I use it every day for putting my briefcase in the back before I jump in the drivers seat on my way to work. Power sliding helps with that too.

Agree. I would find it annoying if I changed to a van with it on the nearside. Having to walk around the van to open sliding door!

Plus like you say you park right up against walls or bushes and everyone just climbs out the sliding door.

Would like to affirm the merits of a sliding door on 'wrong' side. Have found it very useful for loading and accessing the facilities therein. I was very sceptical before buying but it really isn't the issue I thought it might be....

On the know it all forum, it's a massive downside to owning a Cali, apparently.

But from having owned both types it's far more convenient.
Will acknowledge it's a hindrance for getting the kids out at roadside (not very often) but you soon learn to find a space on the other side of the road.

But overall I much prefer to have the door accessible for throwing shopping in, gym bags and children

We live on a narrow country lane with the occasional bus, oil delivery, bin lorry, farm trailer etc so it's necessary to park up nice and snug to the hedge; the side door on the road side is just great. Loading up dog and kit in our previous Bongo with the side door on the nearside was a total pain (including nettle stings and blackthorn wounds) and was made worse by the fact that (short of extreme yoga) you couldn't get through to the back from the cockpit like the Cali 'cos the engine was in the way. It was actually a factor in going for the Cali.....

Agree. Less likely to forget the outside door mat if I have to walk past it to get into the cab to drive away!

also I find having the passenger swivel on same side as the kitchen area very convenient; I have seen the LHD Calis with driver seat behind the kitchen area and not as user friendly!

Another vote here for the sliding door on the Cali side! Mine is my daily driver and it's great for parking in the supermarket for instance, if there's not much room to open the driver door I can chuck anything I need to take (bags, walking stick, etc) in the back, slide of the slighly open front door then just grab my stuff from the back - no faffing about walking round and round!

Back