Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Could I hang a side ladder off the LHS awning rail?

• Thread starter WaikatoCalifornia
  • Start date
WaikatoCalifornia

WaikatoCalifornia

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I am thinking of getting a lightweight aluminium ladder manufactured by a local engineering ship, and hanging it off the awning rail on the left hand side of my T6 Ocean. I want something to make accessing my roof box easier, and since the sliding door and awning are on the right (and not the UK/Australia/NZ kerbside), I thought that’d be a perfect solution. I’m confident it’d take the ladder’s weight, but would the weight of a person on the ladder be too much? Does anyone know how strong the awning rail is? Thanks!

We carry a 3M telescopic aluminium ladder to allow me to place and remove the roof topper. This works very well. Cost was around £30 only. And allows me to get to the very top of the roof when opened.

I rest it against the roof rail. But I would never consider hanging it off the rail. I think it will buckle the roof frame.

I am thinking of getting a lightweight aluminium ladder manufactured by a local engineering ship, and hanging it off the awning rail on the left hand side of my T6 Ocean. I want something to make accessing my roof box easier, and since the sliding door and awning are on the right (and not the UK/Australia/NZ kerbside), I thought that’d be a perfect solution. I’m confident it’d take the ladder’s weight, but would the weight of a person on the ladder be too much? Does anyone know how strong the awning rail is? Thanks!
I believe the awning rail is only bonded on, not bolted/screwed or riveted. It is designed for a lateral rather than vertical force.

I fitted a front runner ladder to the rear. Easy DIY job and works a treat with no drilling.

CA33C3F7-7D61-4F85-9F4D-3C4062C8296A.jpeg

We carry a 3M telescopic aluminium ladder to allow me to place and remove the roof topper. This works very well. Cost was around £30 only. And allows me to get to the very top of the roof when opened.

I rest it against the roof rail. But I would never consider hanging it off the rail. I think it will buckle the roof frame.
Where did you buy the 3M telescopic?
Amazon or flea bay ?

That is a very cool addition. As are those wheels - can I ask what they are please?
Hi, yes they are Twin Monotube Projekt 18” alloys designed specifically for the Cali.

Last edited:
Hi,
How does this system fit to the lower tailgate?
You have a choice between permanent (screw into tailgate) or using 3M tape. I chose the latter so I have the option to remove and I really didn’t fancy drilling holes into the tailgate! It’s really sturdy and supports my 90kg no problem.

You have a choice between permanent (screw into tailgate) or using 3M tape. I chose the latter so I have the option to remove and I really didn’t fancy drilling holes into the tailgate! It’s really sturdy and supports my 90kg no problem.
Just go easy if you have to stand on the rack to load. You will be putting a fair bit of combined weight on the fragile Cali roof (rack weight + luggage weight + your weight).

Just go easy if you have to stand on the rack to load. You will be putting a fair bit of combined weight on the fragile Cali roof (rack weight + luggage weight + your weight).
Cheers, I’ve never had to actually go on the roof rack tbh. I have a solar panel on the front of the rack (previously have had a roof box on there) and I use the back portion of the rack for an SUP or additional boxes for wetsuits firewood etc. The ladder is perfect for that. Rack, solar panel and extras never exceed 50ish kilos maybe 60 on occasion when I used the roof box. When the van was new VW were quoting 100kg load limit for the roof closed and 50 kg open. I think they have since revised that down but it’s never been an issue for me.