Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door lock

Matthew Barber

Matthew Barber

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello All,

The rear sliding door of my 10 Plate Se has developed an annoying habit of refusing to unlock. This is particularly apparent after cold or wet weather. The rest of the Van unlocks but the sliding door refuses to budge. Neither the outside
or inside handles can unlock it. Repeated presses of the unlock button on the keyring will eventually result in the door releasing but it is getting worse.

I’ve noticed that when it does unlock, there appears to be water pooling in the sill under the sliding window.

Today I’ve removed the door panel to take a look as I was worried water was making its way into the door itself. Thankfully it isn’t. There doesn’t appear to be a drain in the window sill so I’m not sure where the water that collects there is supposed to go.

I’ve sprayed the mechanism by the handle with wd40 and it appears to work although time will tell as the weather is now good. One press of the unlock key opens driver door, a second press is needed to open the slider. If the van is locked twice in the fob then one unlock press opens all doors. Does this sound right?

IMG_8605.jpeg

IMG_8606.jpeg

first Try cleaning the brass contacts on the Male and female connector mounted on the door and B pillar.

use electrical contact cleaner / IPA / meths etc (not WD40 ) something that will not leave a residue (failing that : nail varnish remover on a cotton bud - do not get it on the paint work).

after cleaning pay attention to the red LED on drivers door when locking the van = report back what happens to the LED when the van is locked with a long press of the key FOB ?

Hello All,

The rear sliding door of my 10 Plate Se has developed an annoying habit of refusing to unlock. This is particularly apparent after cold or wet weather. The rest of the Van unlocks but the sliding door refuses to budge. Neither the outside
or inside handles can unlock it. Repeated presses of the unlock button on the keyring will eventually result in the door releasing but it is getting worse.

I’ve noticed that when it does unlock, there appears to be water pooling in the sill under the sliding window.

Today I’ve removed the door panel to take a look as I was worried water was making its way into the door itself. Thankfully it isn’t. There doesn’t appear to be a drain in the window sill so I’m not sure where the water that collects there is supposed to go.

I’ve sprayed the mechanism by the handle with wd40 and it appears to work although time will tell as the weather is now good. One press of the unlock key opens driver door, a second press is needed to open the slider. If the van is locked twice in the fob then one unlock press opens all doors. Does this sound right?

View attachment 124797

View attachment 124798
I had the same issue with my 2010 SE. But a few years ago already. It was the remote lock that was playing up. That is the big black block on the left of the photo. A few years later, the lock on the right was acting up, so I changed it too.
Unfortunately, VW and locks don't go well together since 1997 (Golf4).

Hello All,

View attachment 124797

View attachment 124798
To reply on the water outlets:
In the last picture, the hole on the left is one outlet. Try blowing gently through the hole, and keep an eye on the outside between the window and the body. Then spray some water through the hole.
The other water outlet is well hidden, and you are unable to clean it without lifting the sliding window out of the rail.

IMG_20201031_124519.jpg

IMG_20201031_124524.jpg

Both pictures are from the left window, as I don't have a sliding window in the sliding door.

As @Perfectos says, the contacts are a likely cause. Agree, don’t use WD40, and keep them very clean at all times.
My 2016 T6 suffered this in wet or cold weather, but I found that repeated pulling of the inside handle released the door eventually. It really got on my nerves to be honest.

Back