Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door not staying closed

Kiwikamper

Kiwikamper

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Powered sliding door closes and then immediately reopens. Tried closing using internal latch and the dashboard control without success. Cleaned the contacts on the door latch. Eventually switched off the power to the door via the switch on the dashboard and shut door manually but couldn’t get the rear end of the door to fully close.
Any suggestions welcomed.

What does the internal bottom latch do on the sliding door?
See photo.
Top latch used to open and close the door from the inside.
Middle latch looks the door.
Bottom latch?
Bottom latch does not appear in my Ocean manuals.

7122D0B8-FBCB-4C5D-A207-04D9C28C8C76.jpeg

What does the internal bottom latch do on the sliding door?
See photo.
Top latch used to open and close the door from the inside.
Middle latch looks the door.
Bottom latch?
Bottom latch does not appear in my Ocean manuals.

View attachment 99920
It’s just a rubber stop, for when the door is open fully.

Isn’t there a rotating motorised latch at the rear end of the door that pulls it in? Maybe that has failed in some way?

Powered sliding door closes and then immediately reopens. Tried closing using internal latch and the dashboard control without success. Cleaned the contacts on the door latch. Eventually switched off the power to the door via the switch on the dashboard and shut door manually but couldn’t get the rear end of the door to fully close.
If the Soft Close mechanism fails then the rear of the door won't be pulled in flush.
This depends on a rotating catch on the C pillar. Lubricate the rotating bit and short 2 of the 3 connectors on the A pillar with the key blade.
20220730_144854.jpg

Did it close completely when you manually closed it i.e.: you hear a whir of the soft close mechanism and the door was pulled in?

If no to the above question, then lubricate as Welshgas has mentioned and see if that works.

If yes to the above question, then most probably the soft close mechanism is fine (but good to lubricate it anyways). The problem lies somewhere else.

Check the bottom, middle and top runners. there could be something blocking there?

If yes, remove the item blocking.

If no, then it most probably is a case where the cable inside has been misaligned/loose and therefore preventing it from closing properly, which it senses as something blocking the door and so opens the door without closing.

See this video -
. it is a fairly easy process to replace the cables and good to do that once in a while. Your vehicle is a similar age to mine and I think it may be time to replace the cable (though I don't have small kids who can mishandle and wear out the parts prematurely).

Agree with the above power latch on the C pillar, but Does the latch on the sliding door operate ?

Use your key fob To activate locks & listen if the latch is actually operating?

Back