Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Sliding Door Fault - How do I fully close door manually?

W

Wiacek71

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi there,

I have just come back from a week away in the Cali. The electric sliding door no longer opens or closes automatically from the door handle, the door close button or the dash button. The electric sliding door on/off switch no longer lights up when pressed. I plan to call local VW centre tomorrow to book in for repair, as it is still under warranty.

How do I manually close the sliding door fully. I can get the door to close and lock, but there is still a small gap that is normally closed by the electric motor when in automatic. Thanks in advance for any advice.

This will not help you but also a reason to have as little electrical assistance as possible, all sources of problems and not strictly necessary. Electric opening of the roof, of the side door or the rear hatch mainly.
:Iamsorry

I'm pretty certain that there isn't any way to do what you ask. A cable pulls the door open and closed and then a motor seems to do the final bit. If this is faulty you cant easily by-pass.

I'm pretty certain that there isn't any way to do what you ask. A cable pulls the door open and closed and then a motor seems to do the final bit. If this is faulty you cant easily by-pass.
Okay, thanks for the quick reply.:thanks

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for the quick reply.
Mine has been working ok since 2008 but occasionally has minor problems. You might want to check back tomorrow to see if someone else knows more. Its worth searching the forum aswell as others have had some problems.
This video has helped some

Hi there,

I have just come back from a week away in the Cali. The electric sliding door no longer opens or closes automatically from the door handle, the door close button or the dash button. The electric sliding door on/off switch no longer lights up when pressed. I plan to call local VW centre tomorrow to book in for repair, as it is still under warranty.

How do I manually close the sliding door fully. I can get the door to close and lock, but there is still a small gap that is normally closed by the electric motor when in automatic. Thanks in advance for any advice.
By the way one similar post suggested a low battery causing door problems.
Will it close with the engine running?

By the way one similar post suggested a low battery causing door problems.
Will it close with the engine running?
Hi, I have tried closing the door with engine running earlier , but it still does not work. I have searched previous posts and tried the advice given. Thanks again for your advice.

From what you describe, it seems to be an electric fault. Have you checked the fuses? Search for a fuse diagram on the site.

Update on my sliding door issue. I managed to get an appointment on 20 Jan ( 3 week wait). There was water damage to door control panel located in rear right quarter panel above rear right tyre. VW have replaced door control panel and door lock. I asked how water gets into door control panel. The reply was water gets everywhere. When I asked if the van was checked for leaks in this area, the reply was he would have to check with the mechanic. When he came back he said the door roller was also replaced which should stop water ingress. VW rep said the cost of repair was approximately £1000, luckily covered under warranty. Thanks again for previous advice given.

How long a guarantee does repair work have? So, if this fault occurs again outside my warranty period, the repair guarantee would cover replacement.

Update on my sliding door issue. I managed to get an appointment on 20 Jan ( 3 week wait). There was water damage to door control panel located in rear right quarter panel above rear right tyre. VW have replaced door control panel and door lock. I asked how water gets into door control panel. The reply was water gets everywhere. When I asked if the van was checked for leaks in this area, the reply was he would have to check with the mechanic. When he came back he said the door roller was also replaced which should stop water ingress. VW rep said the cost of repair was approximately £1000, luckily covered under warranty. Thanks again for previous advice given.

How long a guarantee does repair work have? So, if this fault occurs again outside my warranty period, the repair guarantee would cover replacement.
Not normally. Warranty on repair would be no longer than warranty of the vehicle.

Which VW garage did you use?

I now have the same problem.