Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door operation

M

MurrayR

When the Cali is parked on ground that is not level and the sliding door is closed it stops and returns unless the door is assisted. It is like the initial movement is too fast and it senses the feedback as something stopping the door from closing so it opens again. Can the door operation be adjusted?
Has anyone had the same issue?

Hello.

Yes, I have seen a similar thing - the door seems to have an initial surge of movement and then slows momentarily, then it is as though the sensor that detects something in the way cuts in and sends the door back with a jolt.

I found that it did this sometimes more than others as you say and found a gentle helping hand was necessary.

In the end, I found that the plastic rollers at the top had got a little bit "gummy". Once I cleaned them and the channel that the rollers use at the bottom, I have had no issues and the operation of the door is back as good as new.

Thank you for the response. I cleaned the top roller but it still played up at times. Will check bottom roller next. Was there two rollers at the top or just one?

We have the same issue, to make matters worse each time we take back to the garage to get it fixed in never happens - so they look at us like we are mad :headbang

If you get it fixed please let us know how

Thanks

We have had the same problem for more than two years and like you, every time we take it back to the dealers and it is hooked up to the computer there is apparently no problem.
Initially we had all the parts relating to the door replaced under warranty but the problem persists.
We have found that if we gently hold the door handle as the door is closing the door does not jerk back so we think the problem could be related to the handle.
We have also thoroughly cleaned the upper and lower channels and hope this might help.
If you find out the answer to this problem we would be very grateful.
Like you, it never does it when we are at the dealers!

Yep! We have had the same intermittent problem with our electric sliding door. It starts to close, stops with a jolt, and then proceeds to re-open. I took it to the dealer but the fault did not re-occur whilst there, so no diagnosis other than making sure the channels are kept clean.
This did prove one thing though, Sue was right, "It's just another thing to go wrong". Still I wouldn't be without it and would still choose it as an option - that is, if it doesn't become too much of a pain by being more than just an intermittent problem.

Graham (SusiBus)

I've had the same issue in the past intermittently. Dealer replaced the external door handle and the door has worked perfectly since though it may just be a coincidence!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Still not managed to get the door closing problem resolved. Had runners cleaned, new centre roller, new bottom roller, wiring contacts in handle adjusted but it still periodically stops closing ,does a judder and opens again.

Luckily (if you want to call it that) when it went into the dealers last time it
misbehaved for all to see the problem.

I demonstrated the light finger pressure under the handle when it’s closing,
which for no apparent reason seems to help.

I’ve suggested changing the handle, but as there is no VW T.P.I. identifying this as a cure, there seems to be a little reluctance to do so.

So to get to the point of my post, has anyone else had there electric door cured of this annoying fault recently. If so, what was the cure? because I want to make sure my next visit to the dealers is the last !

I'd be a bit more demanding about replacing the door handle. Just tell them you'll keep plaguing them till it's sorted. You don't want it dragging on till your warranty expires.
If that doesn't work the door control unit might be the next thing to check.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You don't want it dragging on till your warranty expires.

I believe if the fault is documented as a fault that has had repairs done even after warrany expires they still do free repairs.
Still best to get resolved before it runs out.

Hi Susibus
We have still not solved the problem.
The van went in last week yet again and in spite of having video evidence of the door misbehaving no fault was diagnosed.
We have been in touch with VW customer care for some months now and they have suggested another repair which has to be sanctioned by someone higher up so we are waiting to see what happens.
We have suggested a new handle might solve the problem as it did with Freeley but were told it might not so they couldn't do it although they have replaced every other part relating to the door and that hasn't worked either.
When the problem is fixed they have agreed to sort out the well scratched wheel arch which has already been repainted I think twice.
If you get anywhere with your door Susibus please let us know and we will do likewise.
Caliblue

Back